"How was your first day?" I asked.

"Good!" He grinned up at me, his smile stretching from ear to ear.

"I'm glad. Now let's get your bike."

We retrieved his bike from the rack and then rode to the local art supply store to purchase the things he needed for his new art class.

After that we went to the post office to pick up the envelopes and stamps, and also said hello to Ari's father who owned the place.

One of Ender's teachers required that each student had a yellow notebook with five sections and a red folder with brads so we spent the rest of our afternoon scouring every place we could think of until we found the items.

Now tired and hungry, we made our way to the pizza place and sat down at a small, iron patio table outside.

"If it isn't the Chase's." Joey's loud voice sounded off like an air horn behind us and Ender and I both jumped at the sound.

"Hey, Joey!" I waved and he strode up to us, flicking back his hair.

"Sup guys?" He was at a normal volume now at I smiled.

"Nothing much." I said in return. "What about you?"

"Oh you know, same old same old. What can I get you two to drink?" He shrugged and then took our order.

After he left, Ender pulled out a red sheet of paper from his back pack.

"Hey, Car. So the schools soccer team is having tryouts next week, and I was wondering if I could go." He handed me the flyer and I began to look it over.

"It's a few days after we get back from Sydney." I noted. "Are you sure you want to play soccer?" He had never shown any interest in playing a sport before so his sudden interest was intriguing.

"Yeah. I really want to, please Carter?" He gave me a puppy dog look and I melted.

"Of course you can try out." I smiled at him and he grinned back.

We went back to sipping our drinks when my phone rang from my back pocket.

I was expecting it to be Ashton even though he typically didn't call till later but instead it was his Mum.

"Hello?" I quickly answered.

"Hi, Carter, how are you?" Her sweet voice said across the line.

"I'm good Ann, how about yourself?"

"I'm well. I just wanted to let you know that Ashton's um...work schedule changed and he won't be able to pick you up on Saturday so I will. Is that alright?" She sounded slightly frazzled and worried.

"Yes that's fine. Do you need our arrival information?" I said as politely as I could, she seemed extremely stressed.

"Ashton already gave it to me, but thank you." She still sounded so kind even though I could tell something was bothering her, but I didn't know her well enough to ask.

"Okay, well we will see you on Friday."

"See you then, dear. Goodnight."

After I hung up Ender pounced for information on the phone call I just had.

"What did she say?" He asked hastily and I frowned at his nosiness.

"She just said that she's picking us up from the landing instead of Ashton, relax." I told him and he sat back in his seat.

I was relieved when the pizza arrived so that Ender would stop eyeing me weirdly and I could think about something else besides Ann's strange tone and why Ashton hadn't told me the plan had changed.