Chapter 14 - Painting My Room

I looked at him and I couldn't help but let the smile creeping on my face resurface. The butterflies from before came back again, but this time ten-times worse. "Alright, Jake..." Even with his head turned, I could still spot the smile on his face. It made me giddy inside that I had caused this type of reaction, just by saying his name.

"Hey, um... Emily said you guys had the paint brushes...?"

"Oh..." I began. To you the truth I nearly lost track of what we were doing at the moment, I almost forgot where I was. "Yeah, I'll ... go get them." I said and got up from the floor. Jake nodded his head.

"Kay, I'll be waiting..." he responded as I rushed out of the room. Immedaitely I ran down the stairs. The sooner I get the brushes, the sooner I get back with Jacob. I don't know why, but I think I might've formed a little crush...

I easily found the brushes on the table of the living room and took it. Just as I was going back up the stairs Emily finally came out of the kitchen.

"Oh hey Macy, how's it going so far?" She asked me as she neared the stairs.

"Oh it's good. I just came down to get the brushes." I said and waved them up for her to see. Emily nodded.

"Great, do you guys still need me to help?"

I shook my head. "Nah, me and Jake got it handled." I declined. Emily raised her eyebrows.

"Jake? Ooh.."

"Ok, um.. bye" I ran back up the stairs, completely ignoring Emily fits of giggles.

*   *   *

 "Ok, let's split it up; you get the white, and lime green." I seperated the cans; pushed the purple and green paints towards him and pulled the others to me. " I'll get the sky blue and purple." I finally said. In the background, I heard Jake chuckle.

"Of course you'd give yourself the best colours, now where are we painting?"

I turned my head and looked around. The wall where the front of bed had once laid would surely be sky blue, and the walls to the left and right of it would both be lime green, then the wall connected to the door would be blue.

"But, if you're only using blue and green, why did we need these other colours?" Jake asked.

I smiled. "You'll see, now we should get started now. It's 2:30, so maybe by 5 we'll just ya know take a break... Emily's making cupcakes..."

*                 *                    *

We were some-what half way there. Well we got two whole walls fully painted, now that was left was the other two. I stopped my strokes on the current wall I was painting. The sky blue colour was mesmerizing. I smiled.

“Hey…hand me that other brush…” Jacob said snapping me out of my thoughts. “Huh?” he smirked and pointed behind me.

“Pass over the brush behind you…” He told me slowly. I rolled my eyes and got the brush for him. “How’s it looking?” I asked him as I continued my strokes with my brush in hand. I saw him shrug from the corner of my eye.

 “Well, I dunno…good I guess…” He responded as he shrugged nonchalantly waving his paint dripping brush at me.

I flinched as a drop of paint hit me at the corner of my mouth. “Whoops...” I heard Jacob mutter a bit.

I turned towards him, as I slowly wiped the green color away. “It’s okay…since I’m such a forgiving person, I forgive you..” I said lowly as I unexpectingly flung some blue paint on him and smiled innocently. Jake looked down on his shirt shocked, then at me…

He suddenly started chuckling. “Oh, okay…well as a gentleman…I’ll pretend that didn’t happen…” he said returning my same smile.

I was hit with green paint, five seconds after that statement. I looked down on my chest then back  at him with a smirk. “Well…My mother had taught me how to be a lady…and she always told me to behave like one…” I paused. “But she’s not here right now…is she?”

 You can guess how the next five minutes went down, before we finally went back to work. Just thinking back to the little paint fight we just had, had me in fits of tiny giggles. When it was around four o'clock-ish we had finish almost three walls with one left to go.

"Ok, one more hour to go, and one more wall to go. C'mon let's finish it." I told him and grabbed my blue paint bucket. There was just a little bit left for one wall, but no second coat. I closed the door, wooden door so it would be easier to paint the back, and then I placed the bucket down and grabbed an extra brush for Jake.

Time passed as we painted the final wall. Soon enough we were half way through with the painting.

"Ya know Macy," Jacob called suddenly, I snapped my head over to him with questioning eyes. "It's been such a long time since you left..." he continued, I stopped painting the wall and brought the brush to my side. I watched him as he continued painting, oblivious to my peering eyes. "And now that you're back, everythings some how different... about you, about me... I... don't exactly know what's happening. But I need to ask you, why did you leave before?"