Chapter 49 - Bonfire

RECAP:

Quil pulled his-self off the now wet floor and so did the others, "We can't really tell you Sam told us that were to try to keep as quiet as possible and not wake you up..."

"But as you can see I'm awake... so tell me, what are you guys doing?"

Seth sighed, "Oh, well... we might as well tell you... We're preparing for a bonfire..."

The others turned to Seth with wide eyes and exclaimed, "Seth!"

"What are you trying to get yourself killed?" Quil asked.

"Don't tell her about it!"

But Seth continued anyway, "All of us are gunna be there. Me, Paul, Quil, Jared, Embry, oh and you'll get to meet some of the councils too. It'll be real fun too, there's gunna be hotdogs and marshmallows... ya wanna come?"

*    *    *

"Are you sure about this?" Bella asked as she hopped out of the old pick up truck. She took a step forward and looked over to where she could spot a small glowing orb of fire from the camp, "I don't wanna be party crasher..."

Jacob smiled and shrugged his shoulders, "Technically, you're a council meeting crasher..." And he pulled Bella closer to him as he made this effort to get her to follow him, "You see..." He said and pointed to the people around the fire, "the council leaders my dad, Quil's grandpa and Sue Clearwater—She took over for Harry after he died..."

Bella's eyes widened and suddenly the feeling of awkwardness overwhelmed her, "Ok! I really shouldn't be here then..." She made a move to turn back but she immediately stopped by Jacob, who was well over a foot taller than her.

"Wait—" He paused and thought of something quick to change her mind, "it's the first time for Seth and Leah too, so you're not alone..." he reminded and gave her one of his smoother looks, "Stay ok? It'll be fun..."

Bella  quickly turned her eyes away from her best friend and sighed, "Alright," She gave in reluctantly, "I'll stay..."  This brought a smile to Jacob's face as he looked upon her and he slowly began lifting his hand to touch her face.

"That's great..."

"Jake!" A voice shouted and immediately caught the attention of not only said person but said person's friend as well.

As soon as Jacob recognized who was head his way he face broke out into a youthful grin and responded, "Hey, Seth..."

The younger boy grinned and pulled his hands from his sweat shirt, "It's about time you've got here!" He exclaimed and smacked Jacob's shoulder. "Paul there's been hovering all the grub and hogging them to himself!" he informed, "but don't worry... I saved you some burgers."

Jacob smiled at his friend, "Thanks man..." and with that he lifted his knuckles and pressed them against his friends'. As if remembering he had a guest who stood awkwardly behind him, Jacob turned to Bella and gestured to Seth, "Oh! Bella, this is Seth Clearwater—"

"No need for that," Seth interrupted, "We've met..."

Bella furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and tried to think back to when that happened, but her mind came blank, "Uh... really? When?"

Seth nodded his head, "Yeah! When we had to bring Macy to Dr. Cullen, we met..."

 "Oh yeah, you're Leah's brother right?" Seth nodded proudly, and Bella furrowed her brows once more, "Hey, where is Macy? Is she here?"

And at the same time both Jacob and Seth answered.

"No."

"Yep!"

Jacob instantly turned to Seth, "What? What do you mean, she here?" And in  snap he turned away from the two and he looked over to the bon fire. Just as Seth had said before, Macy was here.

She sat next to Embry. Smiling and laughing...

His heart thudded in his chest and there was a lump in his throat. She wasn't supposed to be here. Memories of yesterday floated in his mind and he could still remember how her lips felt on his. His heart slightly ached when he also remembered how cruel he was, I like you like a sister, that was the worst thing you could say to a girl... especially a girl that was starting to return your feelings.

"What is she doing here? I thought..." I furrowed my eyebrows. "Sam said she wasn't allowed while he was away..." I couldn't help the remorseful sound in my voice that made me sound heart broken.

Seth looked to the side and laughed, "Haha, oh well... ya know I may have let it slip."

Jacob furrowed his eyebrows, "What? What do you mean?"

Seth laughed, knowing that if his slip up would get him in trouble, and patted Jacob on the back. "Hey, what Sam doesn't know, won't hurt him right? C'mon I saved you a spot, they're starting..." He flashed his pearly whites as he led both Bella and Jacob back to the bon fire.

Both Seth and Bella sat down with ease on the old decaying log and turned to the elders in front of them. Jacob, though, as he sat he felt a pair of eyes staring at him in such a dissecting manner, it made him shiver. He planted his bum to the rough dirt and looked up at Macy. As soon as their eyes made contact she immediately looked away, but Jacob's brown orbs ever left her face.