Fallon mashed her lips together. She knew her mom was trying to help, but she was getting in the way. It wasn’t phone calls Griffin was talking about. As twins and the sons of Satan, Griffin and Lucian didn’t need cell phones to call each other. With the power of their black magic, they could use telepathy to communicate with one another.          

“Yeah, maybe,” Griffin said. “Listen, Fallon, I need to find Lucian, and I need your help.”          

Fallon rose from her chair. “Just give me a few minutes to get dressed and washed up.”

When she turned to leave, Gwen clamped a hand around her arm. “I don’t know if this is a good idea.”  

Fallon stared at her mother with wide eyes. “What are you talking about?”

“I don’t know if the two of you running around all over town is a good idea,” Gwen explained and looked at Griffin. “If you really believe Lucian’s missing then tell Simeon and have him call the police.”     

Simeon was Griffin and Lucian’s older brother and guardian. They’d lived with him their entire lives.     

“I told him, and he’s already out looking,” Griffin answered. “If we don’t find him then he’ll call the police, but he’s hoping we don’t have to.”   

“I can understand that,” Gwen admitted.     

Fallon wrenched free of her mother’s grasp. “Great, I’ll just get ready.”     

Her mom followed when she scurried to her room. While she rushed to pull on a pair of denim shorts and a tank top, Gwen sat on her bed tracking her every movement with that same pinched look she’d seen moments ago.            

“I don’t have to work today,” Gwen announced as Fallon slid into her flip-flops.  

“Um, okay.”   

“I could help you and Griffin look for Lucian if you want.”

“Thanks, but maybe you should stay here in case he calls or shows up.”      

“All right, but I expect you to do regular check-ins with me.”         

Fallon grabbed her cell phone from her night stand and shoved it into the front pocket of her shorts and then headed for the bathroom. There, she drew her hair into a sloppy twist before splashing cold water on her face and following it up with a half hearted job of brushing her teeth. She didn’t even bother to take her hair down and comb it properly before she returned to the kitchen where Griffin sat waiting for her.     

“You ready?” Fallon asked, and Griffin stood up.   

“Call me in an hour, Fallon,” Gwen called after them as they headed out the front door.   

“I will, Mom,” Fallon said before she climbed into Griffin’s Escalade.       

Griffin didn’t speak as he got behind the wheel and peeled away from the curb. As she watched him staring out the windshield, she wondered where he was taking them.

“To see Church,” Griffin said. “That’s why I need you to go with me. Without Lucian, I need your power to give me enough strength to confront him.”   

Fallon drew in a sharp breath. Christian Church, son of Jesus Christ and grandson of God himself, was the twins’ sworn enemy. Despite, or maybe because of, his holy lineage he’d stop at nothing to make sure Griffin and Lucian suffered for the sins of their father. The loathing he felt for them ran deep enough that he’d even been willing to hurt her to get to Lucian. It was because he slipped her holy water that she ended up in a coma a few months ago. Ever since she’d fallen in love with Lucian and given her eternal soul to him, Christian had been relentless in his determination to break them up. Confronting him in a place where he had the most power didn’t seem like the best idea.