Reaching My Deathbed

Chapter 18

Jerome's POV

"Where the fuck is Louise?" I say on the brisk of tears. "I don't want her to die. Or Luke. They mean too much to me..."

"Jerome, Louise has a strong will, and I'm sure she'll do whatever it takes to protect Luke," Mark pats my back softly and gives me a warm, radiant smile.

"I hope you're right Mark," I turn to the ground. "I hope we all make it out alive, but I know that's not possible,"

Mark opens his mouth to say something but he shuts it.

"That's unfortunately true," He says pulling his legs to his chest.

"That panel that allows us to get down here, there's no way you could hack into that? Right?"

Mark widens his eyes. He suggested it to the landlord and he helped install it. His plan was foolproof.

"Fuck me in the asshole..." He whispers to himself. "If they have the right tools, or if one of them knows how to hack into things like 4chan, then we're fucked..."

I hear the door open from the first story and I hear the familiar, taunting voices of our grim reapers.

"I hate myself I hate myself I hate myself I hate myself," Mark repeats to himself. I put my hand over Mark's mouth to hush him.

"Stupid ass citizens," I hear Woodwork say. He throws his body against the door and a bunch of other bodies join him.

"This is all my fault, this is all my fault, this is all my fault," Mark mutters to himself.

There's no one that can save our poor souls now.

The door busts down and a few hushed gasps from other in the room are heard. I hear the bagpipes at my funeral already.

"Hello dumbasses," Jessica says coldly. I stand up, losing connection from my thoughts.

"What have you done with my fiancé and child you slut?!" I shout. I hear whispering around which reminds me that I didn't tell them. At least now, it was by force.

"Oh, you mean this bitch?" She pulls Louise from the hallway and throws her on the ground in front of me. She gets up and crawls towards me. I hold her securely in my arms, her body shaking.

"Where's my son?" I ask.

"So damn demanding. He's still upstairs," Jessica rolls her eyes.

"Prove it,"

She holds out the baby monitor from their living room and Luke's faint snoring is heard. "He's up there all by himself. I didn't want to deal with a child. At least not yet,"

"For the hundredth time, what makes you think Mitch wants to fuck you?"

"I know he does. Seeing me after 8 years and without buck teeth and short hair, skinny, body fully developed, his heart must be throbbing when he gets a sight of me,"

"No, that's when you think killing people is okay and you hold your axe over his head. I would want to throw your body out in a dumpster for being too small and burn your clothes you got from eBay,"

"Get rekted kid." I hear Preston say in the background.

She pulls a black shotgun from her belt and aims it at us.

"Sit back to back," She demands. "Everyone don't be so close to one another so I'll have a clear shot of you if I need to shoot you!"

I hear the ruffling of cloth harmonizing in different wayss from the apartment building and then it stops at once.