forty-four

"This is the moment you have all been waiting for..." V.P. Jones was giving his yearly pep talk to the seniors before letting us out to go to the stage.

I didn't pay much attention. I didn't care. I just shifted in my seat uncomfortably while trying to keep this gown at ease, even though it was extremely itchy and annoying.

Almost 700 kids were in my class. Apparently this was the biggest graduating class that our school has ever had. I just liked the fact that I could hide within the crowd while being an annoyance to others. Plus, there were other class clowns close to me so I wasn't alone in the mess of people.

"So, let's get out there and get some diplomas!" Jones screamed. Everyone celebrated behind him which brought me out of my bored state.

Soon we were walking out to take our seats. I looked around in the audience of families and saw hundreds upon hundreds of people piled into the stadium on both sides but none of them were who I want to see.

Speeches went by and rows went up to get their diplomas. About seven rows later, I stood up, along with my line of peers to go up to the stage.

I was honestly out of it the whole time. I didn't even pay attention. Only because there were a lot better things I could've been doing.

"Y/F/N Y/L/N." I grabbed the diploma and smiled pretty for the camera as it flashed in my face which caused me to be momentarily disoriented. I eventually got down the front steps of the stage and walked in the middle of my peers, seeing Ally, Mani, Lauren, and Camila all giving me a thumbs up or playfully throwing up gang signs just to make me smile.

I finally made it to my seat and waited for the last groups to get their diploma.

As soon as VP Jones said 'I now present the graduated Class of 2015', I was ready to hop out of that mother fucking place.

I spilt off from everyone because I'm not a big picture person. I quickly tip toed out to the parking lot to go to my car. Just as I was about to step foot on the cement, someone grabbed my hand from behind me.

They spun me around and when I saw who it was, a smile sprang across my face and I jumped into their arms.

"Oh my God!" I screamed. "Dinah."

"Congrats baby girl." Dinah exclaimed happily, picking me up in the hug.

I wrapped my arms around her neck and pressed my lips to hers softly. Not caring who was around to see.

What are they gonna do? Expel me? Good luck.

I pulled away and Dinah set me down on my feet carefully. "Now, where were you running off to? You do know it's tradition to take photos with the most important people."

"That's not really my thing." I responded, almost embarrassed.

She put her hands on her hips, "What am I gonna do with you? You've got to start having some more fun, kid."

Dinah reached into the band of her skirt and pulled out her phone to swipe for the camera app. She turned it to the front facing camera and took multiple selfies. A few smiling ones. One where she kissed my check. And then eventually, she turned my head and planted a kiss on my
lips to take a picture.

"That one is a keeper." She laughed, pulling her arm around me.

"So, this is Hailey?" Normani called out from behind.

"Fuck." I mumbled to myself, then grabbed Dinah's hand to turn us around to face them.

All of the girls had their arms crossed and they had mad glares, all except Lauren.