(Wednesday August 21st 2019)

(Wednesday, August 21st, 2019)

Michael fixed the collar of his shirt, the torn apart tee shirt a little too torn apart. "Does this look-," he paused as he entered the kitchen. Luke was sipping the coffee he knew he wasn't supposed to have. "Put that down, now."

Luke's eyes that were once wide in fear of being caught closed. He put the warm mug on their counter top, his bottom lip jutting off. "But, Mikey, I'm tired," he complained. Luke dragged out every syllable, hoping it sounded cuter than normal.

"It's not good for the baby!" Michael walked around him, taking the coffee and putting in the fridge. He'll dump it down the drain when Luke wasn't watching.

"You know what's worse for the baby? Stress."

"Then don't be stressed." Michael opened the pantry, digging through it for some type of breakfast.

"I'm stressed without my coffee!"

Mike ignored him, tossing him a banana. "This is good for you, and the baby." Maybe the younger man was taking everything a little too seriously, but Ashton practically shoved his pregnancy books down Michael's throat until he could recite every single line of every single page.

"Mike," Luke dragged out his husband's name once more.

"We're gonna be late if we don't leave soon." Michael pulled up their maturity doctor's office up on his phone, figuring with Los Angeles traffic it'll take triple the time.

Five minutes later, the two sat in the car. Luke continued to complain. He crossed his arms over his navy blue tee shirt. His feet were upon the dashboard of Michael's Range Rover as his cranky personality came out.

"I'm going to burn an entire village," he swore.

"No, you're not. You don't even know how to light the candles." Michael stopped at a red light, giving him a playful look. He held out his hand, Luke instinctively wrapping their fingers close together.

"I don't need to be careful while burning down a village," Luke said, "I'll do it in the name of caffeine."

"I'm not risking the baby. You can talk about it with the doctor, Luke. That's final."

Twenty minutes later, Luke wasn't over it. "Don't patronize me."

"I'm not patronizing you, baby." Michael killed the ignition, letting their hands fall to their laps before unlocking the doors.

"You're making me feel stupid. I know how to take care of my child."

It was only six weeks into the pregnancy and the blue-haired boy was already going insane. "Okay, Luke. Let's just go inside." He trotted towards Luke's door, admiring how lovely the blonde seemed to always look. "You look beautiful today."

Luke looked up at him, furrowing his eyebrows close together. "Is that your way of telling me you wrote another song about me?"

"No." Michael took his hand, locking the doors and checking twice. "Maybe."

Luke playfully hit his chest.

Thirty minutes from their departure from home, Luke wasn't over it. He lay down on the reclining doctor's chair, his hands feeling over the plastic covering. "I'm still mad at you for taking my coffee."

Mike groaned, "Luke, come on." He glowers up form his phone screen, a roll of the eyes quickly following.

They both sat in silence until their doctor for the following nine months came into the room. Her hair was a light brown, the ends dyed a casual blue. She smiled when she saw Michael's hair color, "Nice hair!"

"You too, dude," he responded, an equally excited smile upon his face.

She turned to Luke, "I'm Dr. Casey Silver, it's pleasure to meet you." She held out her hand, quickly shaking Luke's.

He didn't like the cold, soft feeling of her hands. "You, too," he replied.

"So," Casey sat down in the spinning chair only inches from Luke. She took out the folder, Hemmings-Clifford written in neat handwriting at the top. "Six weeks exactly today, correct?"

Luke nodded, a proud smile upon his face.

"You're his partner?" She asked, looking at Michael.

He nodded along. He rested his elbow on the counter, tying not to check the piling up emails on his cell phone. Mike figured Luke would get more angry at him if he wasn't paying attention.

"Let's get on with this." She stood up, digging through the upper cabinets. "We won't do an ultra-sound until twelve weeks. We'll find out the gender around twenty weeks, sometimes a little before, sometimes a little after." With brown hair swinging back and forth, she sat back down, pulling out a heart beat device. "This will make sure their heart sounds good, we'll be able to tell if there's more than one, as well."

Luke chuckled, "Great."

"I once had a guy come in here expecting one, and they ended up with four." She placed an ear piece in her left ear as her other hand started to inch up Luke's shirt.
The previous nurse checked his blood pressure and such, even forced Luke to draw blood. (He cried, a lot).

"Okay, I hear your heart beat quite loudly. Take a deep breath for me." Her voice was calming, Luke was about to fall asleep. Mostly because he didn't have his cup of coffee.

His blue eyes wandered to the opposite side of the room, his husband leaning over in fascination. He knew Michael was going to be a good dad.

"Oh, hey, there's definitely more than one." Dr. Silver laughed it off, as if it was a joke. Luke wasn't sure if he hated or loved her. As a friend, he'd probably love her. As a doctor, maybe not.

"Wait, really?" Michael asked.

She moved around her hands, pressing the cold metal head on top of Luke's belly button. "Yeah, I'm not sure how many are in there, but I hear an echo, which means there's more than one. Or, you're having, like, an alien with more than one heart."

Michael bursted out in laughter, but Luke stayed frozen.

"Now, I'm scared," he said. His lip started to quiver as he reached out his hand for Michael.

Michael tsked, giving him his hand to squeeze. "Baby, we're having more than one!" He squeezed a comforting pulse back to Luke as his eyes looked back up at their doctor.

She was giving Michael papers and prescriptions along with friendly advice. Luke's eyes were fuzzy as he watched their mouths move, but heard no sound.

More than one.