Hesitation

Kurt watched her pick at her food, she chewed very slowly and for a very long time, glancing nervously around the table at the people around her. She was afraid. Scars were prominent on her pale skin, as were her bones. She was so incredibly small and silent with everything she did but her big green eyes were loud, they were screaming and pleading. He caught himself staring at her. He thought about what she'd gone through by what he inferred and it made him angry. He tried making conversation with her, to make her smile. Her voice was soft and she only spoke when he asked her questions and only then when she couldn't shake her head for an answer. She kept her head and Kurt lowered his head from time to time to draw her attention.

She felt out of place at that table. Everyone there seemed so lively, they talked and laughed and smiled with one another. Kurt seemed interested in her, but she knew what that meant to a man. When dinner was over, Storm offered the extra bed in her room to Willow.

"Thank you, Storm."

"It's no problem." Storm was so kind and Willow felt security when she was around her. "I think we're going to be good friends."

"Friends?" Willow turned her head too look at Storm.

"Charles wants you to stay here with us."

Willow gasped. "Here?"

"Well, I guess we could find you your own room, if that's what you want."

"No, no, that not what I meant... I mean is it... Is it safe?"

"Of course, you'll be very safe here."

"I didn't mean for myself. My Master-"

"He won't find you here and if by some chance he does, there are plenty of people willing to keep you safe."

"I don't have any money." she pulled back the fresh sheets on the bed across the room from Storm's. The woman on the other side of the room shook her head.

"We don't want your money. We want you to be safe. I'm sure we can find something for you to do around the school."

"I do not have any valuable skills, I cannot teach the children."

"I know that isn't true." Storm switched out the lights and Willow listened to her slide into her bed. For hours, Willow turned in her bed, trying to fall asleep but the bed was too soft so, silently, she slipped out of her bed and tip-toed to the corner of the room and curled up in the corner with the blanket she took off the bed.