Chapter Eleven

Maya's POV

"Okay, something's up. Riley hasn't talked since she got back here. I'm beginning to wonder. I can tell that she is concentrating very hard on something. I don't want to make her lose her train of thought, so I decide to ask her in the morning.

****
Riley's POV

At breakfast, I ask "Do you happen to have a window sill in the house?"

"Well, I kind of do, in my room." Avery says as she raises he hand.

"Do you mind that we use it?"

"Why are you wanting to sit in a window sill for?"

"They like to talk about their feelings and troubles that they may be facing, to one another." My mom replies.

"So, you want to come into my room? Yeah, I don't think so." Avery says.

"Well, that's just selfish! Maya adds.

Cohle leans over to Avery, "Now, Avery, be nice to your peers."

I hear Avery whisper back, "For one, I should be listening to my talks that I give to you, and for second, I am not her peer, I am older than her!

"So, now, you're saying I'm the boss of Mason? YES!"

"No! You're only older by three months."

"Avery? May we please use you window sill?"

"Fine, whatever. You have five minutes after breakfast."

"That's perfect!" I say, and Maya and I smile at each other.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
After Breakfast
Maya's POV

"So....What's up?" I ask.

"Well.... When Avery and I were at the mall yesterday, there was this little girl that asked for something."

"Aren't they supposed to ask for something?"

"Well, yeah, but, this girl, she asked for something different. Not, a pony, a doll, or even a teddy bear."

"What did she ask for then?"

"She said, "Mommy and a Daddy who love me very much."" Riley repeated.

"Oh, wow, that deep for a six-year-old."

"That's exactly what I thought."

"So, what about this girl?" I ask.

"I want to help her."

"Riley, you can't fix everything.
Alright, go ahead."

"Thank you!" Riley smiles and stands up.

****
Maya's POV
I'm still sitting here once Riley stood up.

"Hey, Maya." Avery said as she walked out here casually. "Maya, what are you still doing in here?"

"I don't know just thinking about my Riles!" I smile. "I leave, though."

"No, no. No need to leave. May I ask you something?"

"Sure, why?"

"Well, considering how close you are to Riley, I thought to ask you, how often she helps someone."

I am quick to answer. "All of the time!"

"Okay, well, you seem certain. I was wandering, has Riley told you about the little girl at the mall?"

"Yeah, she just did a few minutes ago."

"About her, she was sitting on Riley's lap, since she has to be Santa, since the real Santa could not make it.  I saw the look on Riley's face, when the little girl said,"A-"

I cut her off, "A Mommy and Daddy."

"Yeah anyways." Avery continues. "I want to help her."

"Alright, go ahead!" I grin very big.