July 17 - 2

Requested by CaptainThroneFairy ; Imagine Bard calling you names and you run away. Then, Bard asks his daughter to help him win you back.

Bard sighed as he noticed your presence behind him. Again. Couldn't you leave him alone for just one second? It was only two months after your marriage but you already managed to drive him insane. Wherever he went, you went. Whatever he said, you had to make a comment too. If he wanted to spend some time alone, you simply didn't understand. You were married now so why shouldn't you want to be with one another? He had tried to explain it to you but it was something you didn't want to understand. It only made you feel unloved. So Bard had to fix that too.

He had been relieved when he had to leave to gather the empty barrels from Mirkwood. Finally some alone time. He had thought. Until he discovered that you had somehow managed to climb on his boat unnoticed and was traveling along with him. It hadn't been a pleasant trip.

And now he had enough. He had gently told you that he needed some time alone and if you could please stay at home by yourself for two hours. Of course not. 'Can you never leave me alone? What is your problem?' he bellowed as he turned around to face you. You took a step back, not expecting the anger on his face. 'I am your wife, I have the right to spend my time with you' you pointed out. It always went like this. You always threw in the 'wife' card. Enough was enough, however. 'I've had it up until here with you running around me like a dog!' Alright, maybe that was not the best metaphor he could have used.

'A dog?!' you squeaked. 'No, not a dog. They are actually useful. You on the other hand do absolutely nothing! I am still the one of us who has a job and the one who is doing all the cleaning in the house. What are you doing besides following me around all day?' he yelled. Your bottom lip began to tremble. He was long past the point of caring. 'And then something else, when is the last time you have spend some time with my children?' He knew it was low but it was something that concerned him. 'They are our-' 'Don't dare to call them our children! I will forget my wife and they will never truly be your children. Did I make myself clear?!' he yelled at you.

You looked at him with disbelieving eyes. Never before had he talked to you like that. You had moved all the way from Bree to here to begin a new life. That's when you had met him. First you had thought that Lake Town would be safer for you to live, but you had been proven wrong on multiple occassions. Frankly you were scared to live here. It had made you feel so safe to have a guy like Bard by your side. 'I can't believe you just said that.' You turned around on your heels and ran away from him. He knew that he had to follow you, but he didn't. Not now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been a whole week since he had seen you last. There was something wrong, he just knew it. He had gone looking for you an hour after your fight. He felt so guilty about all the stuff he had said to you. You could be a bit annoying from time to time but he knew why you followed him... Sometimes he forgot that you didn't come from Lake Town. From your tales he had learned that Bree wasn't the same. He should have made you feel safe instead of throwing stuff at your feet that truly wasn't your fault. Like the part about your children... There was that sting in his chest again. It physicially hurt him to think back to the words he had said. It was enough for him to know that he had been wrong.

He hadn't found you until the following day. Bard had been walking all over town, asking anyone he knew if they had seen you. He didn't like the answer he got. You had gone back to your old house. The house you had shared with your old suitor. Bard could feel his blood boiling. Your ex-suitor had hurt you. Badly. The only reason for you to get back to him would be because you had no where else to go. he hadn't expected you to sleep outdoors but to go back to him... Right when Bard had showed his face to tell you how sorry he was, you ran inside the house and locked the door. It wasn't going to work like this. He needed to talk to you, no matter what.

Even talking to his daughter and asking for advice wouldn't be a bad idea. 'Sigrid? May I ask you something?' Bard asked cautiously. He wasn't sure how he would explain all this to his eldest daughter. He knew in his heart that he shouldn't drag her into this, but it was something he needed to talk about. She placed the bowl down she had been working on and looked up at her father. 'Aye, you may ask me anything Da.' She wiped her hands clean on her apron. Bard tried to gather the courage to tell her what he had said to her stepmother. He had always taught his daughters that they should let no man talk to them that way... He was setting a poor example himself.

'I... You may have noticed that (y/n) has not been here the last week' he started. This was safe, now he wouldn't have to tell her everything. Sigrid nodded. 'Aye, because you called her terrible things, like a dog, and said that we weren't hers. Go on' she said with a stone face. Bard's mouth dropped. 'You knew?' Sigrid sighed, annoyed at the stupid question. 'Da, I am not blind. I was there when it all happened. You should really learn to be more quiet. Not just when you are yelling, also when y-' Bard raised his hands. 'I get it, be more quiet. But how can I get her back?' He could feel his cheeks burning up. Sigrid was supposed to come to him to ask advice. Not the other way around.

'I don't know Da, you hurt (y/n) pretty deeply. I have talked to her a few days ago and she said that she won't forgive you that easily. And I don't blame her.' Now, his oldest daughter was scolding him. 'I just want to make it right. I never meant to say those things... But she keeps walking away from me where I can't follow... What do I have to do Sigrid?' He looked his daughter straight into her eyes as he asked her this. It was the first time she saw that he was truly sorry. The thing she had been waiting for. 'If I were you I would just go to the place she was staying and march right in. Don't start about it being illegal, da, you've done worse things' she said when Bard wanted to point out that in fact, aye, it was illegal to just march into someone's house. He hated to admit it, but she was right.

'So, you think forcing my way into her house is the right thing for me to do right now?' he asked confused. Sigrid nodded. 'If she won't listen to you when you are trying to have a conversation with her, then yes. I think it is the only thing you can do at this point. And to be honest, I don't think that boorish, brainless ex-suitor of her would let you in otherwise.' Bard had to admit that his daughter had thought everything through. What could there go wrong?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So much Bard. There was so much that could go wrong.

He should have thought this to himself before he jumped through her window and got smacked on the back of the head with a pan. He didn't know how long he had been unconsious, but he did know that there would be a giant bump on his head tomorrow. He rubbed the sore spot as he carefully tried to get up. 'You are stupid, you know that?' he heard you asking. His vision was starting to become cleared, the blur disappearing bit by bit. 'Aye, I have been told that before.'

You snorted. 'Why have you come here anyway? I thought I was a burden to you' you spoke casually. Your heart was still in two pieces but you wouldn't give him the satisfaction to notice. Almost falling over a stool, he managed to get up from the ground and steady himself by holding the table. 'I wanted to save you from that monster. No matter what I said, I do love you. I don't ask you to forgive me. I simply came to tell you that my house is still your home. There are people there who love you. Four to be exact.' If only he could see straight he would have looked into your eyes. Now, it proved to be a tad difficult.

'You mean your children miss me and the dead rat beneath the house?' you asked sarcastically. He knew he deserved it. 'No, I mean our children and I miss you. Though you can say that the dead rat and me are quite the same now.' There was silence after this.

'Did you seriously just compared yourself to a dead rat?' you asked, a small chuckle hidden in your voice. Bard laughed. 'Aye, I think I did.' Together you shared a smile. The love was still present. 'I think you are slightly better then that rat. Not much though' you added quickly. Bard walked a few steps closer to you. 'I know, I want to show you that I can be a good husband. I have not treated you like how I was supposed to treat you. May I have another chance?' he asked softly.

You thought it for a moment. Did he really deserve it after all that he said?

You decide.