Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"I felt sick in the car and Josh suggested to stop and let me rest for a while. We started walking around when...we found it,"

Omar nodded while jotting everything down.

"When exactly did you find the body?"

"About twenty-five minutes ago," Josh said.

"Mia Laney was reported missing yesterday, right?" When they both nodded, he continued. "Were you close to her? Or, did you know someone who wanted to harm her?"

"No," Josh replied while Andrea merely shook her head. "We only shared one class with her, and we've never really talked to her before,"

Omar sighed, looking at Andrea this time.

"I know this is traumatizing for you, Andrea. But do you know why your name is on the victim's forehead?"

"No," Her voice was low and shaky.

"We have no other choice than to consider this as an action that was meant to threaten you. Do you know anyone who has a grudge against you?"

"No. I have never interacted that much with Mia before, and we don't belong to the same social circle. I—" She felt her throat closing up. "I don't know why my name is there,"

Omar nodded. "Thank you for your cooperation, we will contact you if we need any more information."

He put his hand on Andrea's shoulder as a comforting gesture then went to join the other cop who was talking with the paramedics.

Josh put a hand around Andrea's shoulder. His touch was hesitant, as if he didn't want to frighten her.

But Andrea returned the gesture by hugging him tightly and willing herself not to cry.

-&-

"Your father is much more cunning than I thought," Reece said, plopping down on the chair in front of Alexander's office desk. He didn't elaborate on that, instead, he passed the future Alpha a grin. "I see you have gotten used to your office. Is that what you've been doing the past year? Learning how to sit on big chairs?"

Alexander rolled his eyes. His father had forced him to get used to his position many years ago. Despite being eighteen years old, he knew enough by now to be able to run a pack without running it to the ground.

He never really had much choice in the matter, when he thought about it. He had matured faster than everyone else because of the constant pressure to be the 'perfect leader'.

"What do you have on my father?"

Reece sighed. "Close to nothing. I know that he's onto something, and that he knows more about these recent events than he is letting on, and that's it."

Alexander thought for a few moments. Nothing was adding up. His father was not someone to mess with, that was known, but he felt like something was pressuring him lately.

"Why do you think he's blaming Andrea for the murders?"

Reece shrugged. "No idea,"

There was an idea blooming in Alexander's mind, but he wasn't sure what to make of it. His father must be feeling threatened by something, which is making him act out. He was sure of it. Why else would he blame an innocent person?

Even when it came to his job, he was barely in the pack house lately, and his temper had become disastrous.

"He has been working on tightening security lately," Reece said. "More people are being assigned border duty and training will become more intense from now on. Not only that, but he'll soon release the statement ordering everyone outside to stay in the pack house."