Chapter Three

The first thing Andrea noticed when she woke up was the sound of the rain hitting the windows. Then she noticed the warm air blowing in her direction and the seatbelt against her chest and waist. Then, she noticed his scent.

 That was when the anger kicked in. Not only did he kidnap her, but he also used wolfsbane to knock her out, which made her want to throw a fit. 

 "I didn't think you'd put up a fight, sunshine." 

 Hearing his voice sent a shock through her. She never expected his return to affect her this much, especially under these circumstances.

"Maybe you shouldn't have kidnapped me." She kept her eyes focused on the dashboard. She knew that if she looked at him her resolve would weaken. It had been too long and the battle that she had been fighting for this long was a lost cause anyway.

"Would you have agreed to talk to me if I had asked you in a civilized way?" He asked. 

 She remained silent.

"You seem to have forgotten that I know you better than you think." 

 She couldn't argue with that. He had been in her life ever since she was six years old. He was as familiar as a worn hoodie and his presence was almost as important as her limbs.

  There never used to be just Andrea. It was always Andrea and Alexander, the two parts that made a whole.

 That was before, she thought, not now, never now.

"You have nothing to say?" He asked, his voice carrying a harsher tone. 

 They didn't use to be like this. God, they were never like this. They used to be everything.

"No, I don't." She sat up straighter and stared out the window. Trees surrounded the road as far as the eye could see. "Why are you doing this?"

 He let out a humourless chuckle. "Don't act dumb, sweetheart."

 His words sparked back the anger that was slowly dissipating. She turned around to yell at him and stopped in her tracks.

 He had changed. She used to think that there will never be a day where she'll see him as a stranger, but God was she wrong. He had gotten bigger, his body stronger and his posture more confident. His hair was the same brown and his eyes were the same green, but they were more stoic now, more cautious and calculating. A true alpha.

What the fuck was he still doing here with her?

 They stared at each other for what seemed like forever, until he averted his gaze back to the road.

"What are you doing, Alexander?"

"I'm doing what I should have done a long time ago." He seemed like he was getting angrier by the second. "I did what you wanted me to do. I left. I gave you space. But it seems like you've had too much of it."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Do you think I'm fucking stupid? You think I don't know about that new 'friend' of yours? It looks like you made the right choice after all."

"Are you talking about Josh?" 

 His fingers gripped the steering wheel harder at the sound of the name.

 Andrea continued. "And it shouldn't concern you who I hang out with"

"Is that what they're calling it now?"

"Alexander," She snapped. She hated this side of him. The manipulative side that always got what he wanted. "Stop saying shit you know you don't believe. It's been a year. I'm allowed to have a life just like I'm letting you have a life."

"What life? Do you think it's that easy?" He all but shouted. "You think you can flip a switch and forget about everything? You rejected me with no good reason. You decided to fucking leave me after everything--Fuck!"

 He slammed his hands on the steering wheel and pulled the car over. Through his rolled-up sleeves, she could see his protruding veins and his new tattoos that spanned his entire left forearm. He was breathing hard as he leaned back and closed his eyes. 

"You really know how to play with people," He muttered, opening his eyes and staring at the road in front of them.

 Andrea tried to not let his words affect her, but the guilt was still there. It was always there.

"I am not playing with anyone. I have told you my intentions. And Josh is nothing but a friend."

"I'm sure you're very good friends. I hope he's at least good in bed"

"Fuck off. If you really think I'm that kind of a person then you really don't know me at all."

"Maybe I really don't, because I never expected you to be so fucking cold hearted."

 She knew that if they kept going on this path it will only end up with her crying, and she definitely did not want that. She knew that she had hurt him, because she had almost destroyed herself in the process.

"Take me back home," She thanked God that her voice didn't shake because she was on the verge of having an emotional breakdown.

 He didn't answer her, and it didn't escape her notice how hard his jaw was clenched.

"Where are you taking me?" Andrea asked after a few moments of silence.

 "The cabin." 

 Andrea's eyes widened. "Why?"

 "Because we need to talk and my territory is too far."

 "It won't change anything, Alexander." She said softly.

 "Maybe I need to remind you who I am , sweetheart," His voice just as soft as hers, but while hers carried caution, his was laced with malice. He turned to look at her with a furious smile. "It seems like you have forgotten that I'm an Alpha. You are not getting rid of me easily, and you sure as hell will not be hiding secrets from me."

  Andrea didn't speak after that. She didn't know what to tell him. She didn't know how to tell him that she might be his worst nightmare. She had no idea how to explain that this was bigger than the both of them.

 Sure, it wasn't fair to him. He didn't know why his soul mate didn't want him, but it was better off this way then to find out the truth about Andrea. A mate was supposed to be your other half, the only person who would truly understand you. The fact that she couldn't give that to Alexander almost broke her, but she was doing this for him.

So she just crossed her arms over her chest and looked out the window to the falling rain, it seemed that the clouds were grieving with her. She wouldn't tell him anything even if it killed her.