Chapter Fourteen

I published this yesterday and I just found out that it's still saved as a draft 👿👿

The room was dark and dusty. A foul stench hang in the air like a bad omen, but to Andrea's complete surprise, the place was anything but ugly.

There was a big wooden desk in the centre with a large window reaching from floor to ceiling right behind it. The moon was visible behind the clouds, sending small rays of silver light into the room. Andrea noticed the big file cabinets on one side and the comfortable looking sofa on the other.

It was when she turned to look at Josh that she noticed the look on his face. It was one of complete hatred and disgust.

In all of the two years that Andrea and Josh had been best friends, she had only seen him happy and angry. She always thought that Josh was one of those people who were always optimistic about everything. Never had he expressed himself in a harmful way.

"What's wrong?" She carefully asked.

"I can't believe everyone thought this was acceptable." Josh said, his face forming into a sneer.

Andrea looked around, trying to understand what he was saying.

"What are you talking about?" She finally asked.

"This! The fact that they get to stay in fancy places and let the prisoners rot in cells."

Andrea frowned. Cells? What was he talking about.

Josh finally took a deep breath and calmed down a little. "This place wasn't built like a regular asylum. It was built to let people in, whoever came in never got out."

"Why?"

"They were experimenting on the patients, running tests on them."

"What for?" Andrea had never heard of this.

Josh shook his head. "I don't know."

Chills ran down Andrea's spine and she felt bile rise up her throat. Now she understood Josh's disgust.

"How do you know all this?" She asked and hugged the sleeping kitten closer to her body.

"I did my research." Josh answered vaguely and threw his backpack on the wooden table.

Andrea shone her light on the file cabinets and saw that almost all the drawers were open and empty.

"Josh, I don't think we'd find anything in here." She muttered.

Josh looked at the cabinets and pursed his lips, he took off his beanie and ran his hand through his hair in frustration. "Fuck!"

He stalked towards the cabinets and started searching frantically. "There has to be something!"

Andrea could only stand back and watch, she was shocked at Josh's behavior, it seemed as if he was losing his mind.

"Josh?" She muttered gently.

Josh stopped looking through the drawers and took a deep breath.

"Sorry. I'm sorry." He whispered with defeat.

"Is everything okay?" Andrea asked and gently put a hand over his shoulder.

He suddenly stood up from his crouch making Andrea jump and almost drop the kitten.

"Got it! How didn't I think of this before?" He walked over the wooden table and took out the folded blueprint from his pocket, he opened it and laid it on the table.

"What are you talking about?"

"The basement." Josh said without looking up from the paper.

"What about the basement?" Andrea walked so she was standing next to him.