Chapter 23

"Sparklekit, from now on, you will be known as Sparklepaw." Moonstar announced.

Sparklepaw lifted her head proudly among her Clan.

"Your mentor will be Stormwhisker."

Excitement glowed into Sparklekit's eyes. Stormwhisker walked up to the High Rock, surprised. He'd finally have an apprentice! Sparklepaw licked his shoulder respectfully.

"I never knew you wanted to be a medicine cat with me."

"I always dreamed of it!" Sparklepaw exclaimed.

"Sparklepaw! Coldpaw! Eaglepaw!"

The Clan shouted the new apprentice's names. It had been three moons since the battle over joining Clans. Silentpaw looked proudly at Echowave, who had just become a warrior. Silentpaw was now an apprentice with Coldpaw and Eaglepaw. Snakepaw had become Snaketooth. Silentpaw was held back by her final assessment for some particular reasons by Wolfheart. He had been sharing tongues with Shadestripe more often now.

"I'm proud of you, Wolfheart," Shadestripe would say.

Proud of what? Becoming the deputy, or holding back Silentpaw, refusing to let her receive her warrior name? Silentpaw was jealous at first, not knowing why Wolfheart would do such a thing. But maybe it was for a good reason. Did Wolfheart get a sign from StarClan? Jealousy turned into pride, watching her best friend become a warrior of ThunderClan. It would be her turn next.

Wolfheart's tail ran through Silentpaw's flank. "Follow me," He ordered. Silentpaw swallowed and scampered behind her mentor. Was this her final assessment?

Wolfheart lead his apprentice down to the lake shore.

"I have to tell you something," he started, wrapping his tail around his paws. "I have to tell you why I didn't allow you to become a warrior yet."

What will he say? And why?

"I saw--I saw StarClan. I saw Jayfeather. He, well, he told me to wait. He said he wasn't ready yet. I didn't understand, because he said, 'he'. Anyways, He also told me that he needed to tell something to you. That's why. I thought about it for a while, it was hard, holding you back. To see your face, so disappointed. But Jayfeather also told me that'd you be a warrior soon, really soon."

Silentpaw nodded. Jayfeather was in this. So it was a good reason why. Now she understood. When she'll dream tonight, she'll ask him more.

When Wolfheart and Silentpaw got back to camp, Coldpaw and Eaglepaw were nagging their mentors, Bouncefire and Metalclaw, to come and explore the territory.

"When can we go to the lake? I wanna feel the water!"

"Can we go hunting instead? I'm starving."

Metalclaw flicked his tail to stop the racket. "With all the talking, you'll be going no where."

"Instead of going to the lake or hunting, we'll be collecting moss for the elders today." Bouncefire told them. Coldpaw and Eaglepaw's heads sunk and shoulders sagged.

"And next we'll teach you how to catch ticks and fleas from their pelts!" Metalclaw called over his shoulder.

The two new apprentices groaned and protested their way out of the bramble border.

I really have to train with them? Silentpaw thought, shaking her head. Silvermist stepped out of the nursery.

"I'm so glad they're apprentices. Now they're Bouncefire and Metalclaw's problem now." She purred with amusement. Another scent wafted towards them.