EPILOGUE | Chapter 83

Fleet of Books

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Pacific Fleet was saddled with two unwelcome nicknames: "The Fleet Ensnared by Demons" or "The Cursed Fleet."

Indeed, this fleet had suffered heavy losses, with over 120 state-of-the-art ships sunk in the Battle of Midway a year prior. In the First Battle of Oahu six months ago, they lost 122 ships, including 40 escort carriers. Then, in the Second Battle of Oahu, which became the final showdown between Japan and the United States, 96 ships, including 16 Essex-class aircraft carriers, were sunk. Additionally, Oahu fell to the Axis forces' ground troops. Admiral Nimitz, who had remained on the island until the end as the commander of the Pacific Fleet, also perished in ground combat.

The series of battles around Oahu had significant repercussions not only in the military but also in the political arena. Foremost among them was the resignation of President Roosevelt. Despite extremely low approval ratings and suspicions surrounding the successive deaths of his opponents, Roosevelt miraculously secured a fourth term. However, the catastrophic loss of Oahu left him no choice but to resign, unable to quell the political turmoil at home.

His successor, from the same Democratic Party but with policies diametrically opposed to Roosevelt's, sharply criticized the former president, his supposed ally. Roosevelt, aiming to revitalize the stagnant domestic economy through war, secretly provoked Japan using the Hull Note, without the knowledge of the Democratic Party. This provocation backfired on the United States, resulting in significant losses of American youth. Meanwhile, due to Roosevelt's secrecy and his inner circle's influence, other Democrats were kept out of the decision-making process. The narrative presented by the current president, backed by many Democrats aligning their stories and a grand campaign orchestrated by the party-affiliated media, gained widespread belief among the populace.

As a result, anti-war sentiments spread rapidly within the United States. The genuine sentiment of the American people was a resounding rejection of being involved in a war initiated by President Roosevelt. Furthermore, even the conservative Republican Party, prioritizing US national interests, was favorable towards ceasefire and peace talks. The unity between the Democratic and Republican parties accelerated the momentum for ceasefire and peace talks.

There were also urgent military considerations. Germany intended to establish the Azores Islands as aerial fortresses and deploy six-engine heavy bombers rumored to have been developed in American bombing plans. Additionally, Germany showed similar intentions in Oahu.

Furthermore, the ongoing development of V2 rocket launch platforms by Germany also deeply concerned the military high command. Once launched, V2 rockets were nearly impossible to intercept. Moreover, Germany possessed the potential to develop atomic bombs, akin to the United States. The collaboration of long-range rockets and atomic bombs was a nightmare scenario for the United States.

Due to these circumstances, on April 12, 1945, a ceasefire and peace agreement were reached between the United States and Japan-Germany-Italy. Ironically, on the same day, President Roosevelt suffered a stroke and passed away, never to return.

. . .

On April 18, 1945, Admiral Yamamoto, Chief of the Navy General Staff, found himself face-to-face with an unexpected visitor. Of course, the visitor was Ryūkaku Hiranuma, who was known for his unannounced visits.

"First and foremost, I congratulate you on the conclusion of the war."

As Hiranuma gave a respectful bow, Yamamoto spun words of gratitude with a look of heartfelt relief.