Chapter 39 - Fighter Bias

The formidable force that was supposed to be directed toward the vast Soviet Union suddenly shifted its focus to the Mediterranean Sea. As a result of the excessive deployment of the Italian Navy and the German Luftwaffe, Malta fell without a hitch. This allowed the Axis powers to control the eastern half of the Mediterranean Sea. With the assurance of safe maritime routes, the Italian and German forces advanced into North Africa, dispersing the British forces in Egypt who were cut off from their supplies, and soon achieved the breakthrough at Suez.

During this time, the German and Italian forces also nearly simultaneously achieved Mussolini's longstanding desire for complete control over the Mediterranean. Although Gibraltar was considered the most challenging obstacle, it fell easily into German hands. Facing incessant requests for assistance from the Spanish government, Hitler, adopting an attitude of no longer requiring negotiations, ordered his troops to invade the country. He was unwilling to miss the golden opportunity to defeat Britain, even if it meant being considerate to the weak nation of Spain. Gibraltar, with its thorough defenses against attacks from the sea, proved surprisingly vulnerable from the rear, and the elite divisions of the German Army, supported by the Luftwaffe, easily captured the territory.

Furthermore, after the German and Italian forces secured dominance in the vicinity of the Red Sea and completed minesweeping operations in that area, Germany notified the Imperial Navy of its readiness to receive fleets. In response, the reorganized Combined Fleet set sail.

European Expeditionary Fleet

- First Fleet

-- Battleships Nagato, Mutsu, Ise, Hyūga, Yamashiro, Fusō

-- Heavy cruisers Aoba, Kinugasa, Furutaka, Kako

-- Destroyers Shiratsuyu, Shigure, Hatsuharu, Nenohi, Wakaba, Hatsushimo, Ariake, Yūgure

- Second Fleet

-- Battleships Hiei, Kirishima, Kongō, Haruna

-- Heavy cruisers Atago, Takao, Maya, Myōkō, Haguro, Nachi

-- Destroyers Umikaze, Yamakaze, Kawakaze, Suzukaze, Murasame, Yūdachi, Harusame, Samidare

- Third Fleet

-- Akagi (36 × A6Ms, 27 × Type 1 attackers, 6 × Type 1 recon)

-- Kaga (48 × A6Ms, 27 × Type 1 attackers, 3 × Type 1 recon)

-- Jun'yō (36 × A6Ms, 9 × Type 1 attackers, 6 × Type 1 recon)

-- Hiyō (36 × A6Ms, 9 × Type 1 attackers, 6 × Type 1 recon)

-- Ryūhō (24 × A6Ms, 3 × Type 1 recon)

-- Heavy cruisers Tone, Chikuma

-- Destroyers Akizuki, Asagumo, Yamagumo, Natsugumo, Minegumo, Asashio, Ōshio, Michishio, Arashio

- Fourth Fleet

-- Shōkaku (48 × A6Ms, 27 × Type 1 attackers, 3 × Type 1 recon)

-- Zuikaku (48 × A6Ms, 27 × Type 1 attackers, 3 × Type 1 recon)

-- Hiryū (36 × A6Ms, 18 × Type 1 attackers, 6 × Type 1 recon)