Chapter 13 - Second Attack on Oahu

The second wave consisted of 12 Zeros and 18 Type 1s each from the 1st Carrier Division's Akagi and Kaga as well as the 2nd Carrier Division's Sōryū and Hiryū. With the addition of 27 Type 1s each from the Shōkaku, Zuikaku, Kamikaku and Amakaku of the 5th and 6th Carrier Divisions, the number of attackers was 228.

The 1st and 2nd Carrier Divisions' planes were armed with four 250 kg armor-piercing bombs and were tasked with destroying enemy ships. On the other hand, the 6th Carrier Division targeted harbor facilities such as docks and cranes with four 250 kg or sixteen 60 kg bombs. The remaining 5th Carrier Division carries only land bombs and incendiary bombs, focusing on the destruction and ignition of oil tanks.

Commander Shigekazu Shimazaki, the leader of the second wave, had received a wealth of information before sighting Oahu. The most significant was the success of the first wave's surprise assault. Despite Oahu being a crucial Pacific base, it lacked radar, and the American counterattack was weak, with many aircraft resting at airfields. During the first wave's advance, an unknown airbase was discovered north of the island. However, the Zero fighter squadrons of the Kamikaku and Amakaku attacked, destroying many aircraft before takeoff.

Meanwhile, Pearl Harbor displayed a scene of chaos. The trump card of the attack, the torpedo squadron, reportedly scored significant successes by hitting the sides of American battleships, causing two to capsize and three to be heavily damaged and sunk. The oil tanker targeted by the torpedo squadron commander, Commander Murata, and his wingmen exploded, causing an oil fire that engulfed nearby battleships. Shimazaki, witnessing the magnitude of the devastation, ordered the second wave to easily reach the skies over Oahu.

"All planes, commence the assault. Each squadron, follow the designated procedures and attack."

As the ridge of Oahu became visible, Shimazaki issued the assault command. The 228 planes split into groups by carrier or carrier air squadron, aligning their noses toward the assigned targets.

The 27 Type 1s of the Zuikaku squadron, commanded by Shimazaki, carry two 250 kg land bombs and six 60 kg incendiary bombs each. Their targets were the oil tank group southeast of Ford Island. They plan to destroy the oil tanks with the 250 kg bombs and force the ignition of heavy oil, which is difficult to ignite, with incendiary bombs. The Shōkaku squadron, equipped similarly to the Zuikaku squadron, attacked other oil tank groups.

The visibility around Pearl Harbor was severely limited by thick smoke, making it dangerous to maintain a tight formation.

"Disperse the formation. Attacks will be carried out by each squadron, not simultaneously. The second squadron first, followed by the third squadron, and lastly, the first squadron."

Following Shimazaki's orders, the first to arrive over the oil tank group was the nine aircraft of the second squadron, led by Lieutenant Ishimi. They transitioned into a gradual descent. The second squadron executed a glide bombing. Normally, steep dive bombing is more suitable for achieving high accuracy. However, the Type 1 carrier attack bomber cannot perform steep dive bombing as it lacks dive brakes. While reinforcing the aircraft and adding dive brakes might enable steep dive bombing, it would significantly increase weight, compromise fuel efficiency and maneuverability, and make landing difficult due to an extended takeoff distance.

In contrast to the imagery suggested by its name, steep dive bombing requiring a pull-up at low altitude is an extremely perilous tactic, as it involves approaching the target at a slow speed while using dive brakes, making the aircraft vulnerable to being shot down mid-bombing. The Imperial Navy, prioritizing crew protection, has already abandoned steep dive bombing as a past tactic. Additionally, since the Imperial Navy has successfully developed guided bombs, there is no need to insist on steep dive bombing.

As the second squadron descended, anti-aircraft fire was launched from the ground. However, the sporadic and imprecise firing, possibly hindered by smoke, failed to damage any aircraft in the second squadron. The eighteen 250 kg land bombs shattered the oil tanks, and the fifty-four 60 kg incendiary bombs began igniting the leaked heavy oil. Following suit, the third squadron and the first squadron continued bombarding the oil tanks. Against the successive strikes of iron and gunpowder, the oil tanks, lacking robust armor, had no chance of withstanding the assault.

By this time, other air squadrons have also concluded their attacks. The 1st and 2nd Carrier Divisions were engaging ships with glide bombing. The most concentrated attack was directed at the battleship Pennsylvania in drydock. Although the drydock's responsibility falls on the 6th Carrier Division, they dropped 250 kg bombs one after another as if claiming it as their own matter.

In this assault, the Pennsylvania suffered extensive destruction to its superstructure, excluding the main gun turret. Additionally, the destroyers Cassin and Downes docked alongside bore the brunt of the attack. They were hit by numerous 250 kg bombs originally intended for the Pennsylvania and were completely destroyed.

Meanwhile, heavy oil leaking from the destroyed oil tanks, caused by the Type 1 carrier bombers of the 5th Carrier Division, turned into a torrent of flames flowing into Pearl Harbor. In this situation, fireboats and rescue boats, tasked with rescuing ships and personnel, were fully occupied with self-preservation.

The naval vessels, burnt by the heavy oil leaked from oil tankers and battleships, found themselves surrounded by the same blazing heavy oil stored in the oil tanks, further complicating their predicament. Only a few vessels managed to escape this hellish encirclement.

Fleet of Booksजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें