Chapter 21 - Attack Forces Outflanking the Enemy

A total of 36 Type 1 reconnaissance planes were deployed for reconnaissance. The benefits obtained from this were extremely significant; these recon planes not only accurately identified the enemy fleet's position but also successfully grasped details such as target headings, target speeds, and a rough understanding of the enemy's force composition.

There were two mobile units that were discovered. Comparing their sizes with escort ships surrounding them, it is known that each of the four carriers is a regular aircraft carrier. Both mobile units formed a typical circular formation with two carriers at the center, surrounded by about 10 cruisers or destroyers forming the outer perimeter. These units were given the designations A1 and A2, respectively.

"Two mobile units centered on two carriers each, but no other signs of the enemy. Detecting the presence of the enemy fleet is gratifying, but the number of discovered ships per unit, over 10, seems too few. Also, it feels a bit strange that there are no battleships in a fleet of this size," said Vice Admiral Nagumo, expressing his thoughts in a somewhat soliloquy-like tone, turning his gaze to Chief of Staff Kusaka.

"Perhaps our destruction of the oil tanks in the Pearl Harbor attack is playing a role. Currently, the United States is sending a large amount of supplies to Europe, and oil tankers are expected to be in high demand. Without enough oil tankers, we can't afford to recklessly increase combat ships. The maximum possible force deployment at the moment is probably around 20 ships. This is easily imagined from the fact that there are no large battleships in sight. Also, having only four carriers may seem insufficient, but we know that two of the seven regular carriers of the United States Navy, the Wasp and Ranger, are still in the Atlantic. So, even at the maximum, there would be five carriers, making four a reasonable number."

Nagumo also seemed to agree with Kusaka's assessment, nodding emphatically.

"In that case, what's concerning is the position where the enemy mobile units were discovered. They are quite close to the land. Perhaps they intend to fight under the protection of land-based fighters."

The commander of the American mobile unit should be aware that the 1st Air Fleet has eight regular carriers. Nevertheless, they came to face half of them with only four carriers. In modern naval warfare, the Americans should already understand, through battles like the Battle of Oahu and the action off the coast of Malay, that aircraft are crucial. It is inconceivable to expose valuable carriers that can operate these aircraft in numerical inferiority and casually present them in front of the enemy.

"I think your assessment is accurate, sir. In fact, the fighters sent to Brisbane reported that the enemy fighters intercepting them were considerably fewer than expected. Probably, the low numbers were because the American mobile unit also has an appropriate number of fighters patrolling above," Kusaka reported while listening to aviation staff officers Genda and Yoshioka, interpreting the meaning of their gaze.

"The situation has unfolded as we anticipated. The enemy is coordinating with land-based air power to compensate for the mobile unit's disadvantage. If that's the case, we should send the first and second attack groups as planned."

"I also agree with the 1st Air Staff Genda's opinion. Above all, we must assume that we have already been detected by the enemy. Additionally, the flight decks and hangars of each carrier are currently crowded with aircraft loaded with fuel and ammunition. We must dispatch the attack groups as soon as possible."

The 1st Air Fleet had actively conducted reconnaissance plane hunting, and there was no sign of being caught in the enemy's aerial surveillance network. However, they had intercepted multiple suspicious radio waves that seemed to emanate from underwater. Presumably, the source of these transmissions was an enemy submarine. In fact, considering the presence of a highly capable submarine base in Brisbane, the absence of contact with enemy submarines would have been more peculiar.

Upon receiving the reports from Genda and Yoshioka, Nagumo turned to Kusaka. While he could bypass Kusaka, the two men's superior officer, and issue orders directly, it was not a preferable act in terms of maintaining organizational harmony.

"I share the opinions of 1st Air Staff Genda and 2nd Air Staff Yoshioka. I believe we should dispatch the attack groups immediately."

Nagumo nodded slightly in response to Kusaka's prompt agreement and then issued the order.

"Deploy the first wave immediately. As soon as that is completed, send out the second wave as soon as possible. The selection of targets and attack methods is delegated to the commander of the attack group."

Nagumo did not provide detailed instructions. In aerial warfare over the sea, where the situation could change dramatically with minor events, he believed that giving the field commander authority, or a free hand, would yield better results. Moreover, the overall commander of the attack group, Commander Fuchida, was trustworthy.

With Nagumo's orders, a total of 96 Zero fighters, along with four Type 1 reconnaissance planes responsible for navigation support, forward route surveillance, and command control, hastily took off from the flight decks of each carrier. The Zeros of the first wave were tasked with a fighter sweep, meaning they would engage in a sweep to intercept enemy fighters that were expected to appear.

Once all the Zeros of the first wave had taken off, the flight decks of each carrier became vacant. Now, Zeros and Type 1 attack planes, participating in the second wave, were lined up. The second wave consisted of 27 Type 1s from the Akagi and 12 Zeros and 27 Type 1s from the Kaga of the 1st Carrier Division; 18 Type 1s from the 2nd Carrier Division's Sōryū and Hiryū, respectively; and 12 Zeros and 27 Type 1s each from the Shōkaku and Zuikaku of the 5th Carrier Division and the Kamikaku and Amakaku of the 6th Carrier Division. In total, there are 258 planes.

Among the Type 1 attackers of each carrier, the first squadron was equipped with something unprecedented—a winged oddity attached beneath its belly, which was neither a bomb nor a torpedo.