Chapter 59 - Partial Change of Order

"The first attack group annihilated roughly 80% of the 300 F6F Hellcats, which appeared to be intercepting. Given that the enemy fighters heading towards the second attack group numbered only a few dozen, this information seems highly accurate."

With a voice tinged with joy or excitement, the aviation staff officer recited the battle results.

"Next, concerning the second attack group, they sank a total of 16 aircraft carriers, large and small combined. However, due to concentrating on attacking the carriers, they did not have enough resources to engage the escort vessels. As a result, all of the enemy's cruisers and destroyers in the mobile fleet remain intact. Likewise, both groups of surface strike units are unharmed."

Facing the newly introduced F6F carrier-based fighters in autumn, the 288 Zero Model 53 fighters of the first attack squadron, refitted from Kinsei to Homare engines, triumphed in fierce aerial combat, ensuring air superiority. Thanks to this, the Type 1 attackers of the second wave were able to approach the American mobile fleet without losing a single aircraft, achieving the significant feat of sinking all American aircraft carriers. Furthermore, the Zeros of the fleet air defense squadron fought valiantly, successfully protecting friendly vessels from the relentless attacks of nearly 700 enemy carrier-based aircraft.

"As for our losses, six of the Type 1 attackers engaged in attacking enemy carriers have not returned, and an additional 34 planes have been damaged by enemy fire. Among the damaged aircraft, nine are immediately reusable, while 13 have been deemed irreparable."

The fact that less than three percent of the Type 1 attackers were shot down can be attributed not only to their superior armor but also to the advantage of attacking from altitudes as high as 10.000 meters. Despite the formidable anti-aircraft capabilities of American ships, hitting small targets from such great heights remained challenging.

"Moving on to the Zero fighters, a total of 29 planes from both the first and second attack groups have not returned. Additionally, numerous aircraft have been damaged, although the exact number is yet to be determined due to prioritizing the investigation of Type 1 attackers."

By striking the Midway Atoll airbase and sinking all American aircraft carriers, Japan had completely gained air superiority in the surrounding waters of the island. However, confirming the damage to and repairing the damaged Zeros had been postponed. On the other hand, the losses of the fleet air defense squadron's Zeros had already been tallied, with 32 aircraft confirmed lost. Even with the advantage in battle, achieving victory without any losses was impossible.

"What is the status of the enemy fleet?"

"The American mobile fleet remains stationary. They are likely engaged in rescuing survivors from their carriers. Meanwhile, the two groups of surface strike units are transitioning westward from the American mobile fleet's position. This movement seems to be a precaution against our own surface strike units pursuing them."

Anticipating Ozawa's question, the aviation staff officer responded smoothly.

The strength of the surface vessels, excluding aircraft carriers, had already been assessed through numerous reports from Type 1 recon planes. There are 8 battleships, 16 cruisers, and 80 destroyers. On the other hand, their surface strike force, the Seventh Fleet, has 26 ships, plus 24 ships from the First to Fourth Fleets.

There were eight battleships on the American side versus six on the Japanese side, clearly placing Japan at a disadvantage. Moreover, all American battleships were equipped with 40 cm guns, while all Japanese battleships had 36 cm guns, with four of them being the outdated Kongō-class. In terms of actual combat power, it was at least double, possibly even triple. Both sides had an equal number of cruisers, with 16 each. However, while all of Japan's cruisers were pre-war constructions, all of the American cruisers were the latest models. In terms of destroyers, the American side had 80 compared to Japan's 28, showcasing a staggering difference.

There was only one way to overturn this disadvantage: using air power.

"Following the second attack, equip the Type 1 attackers with the Akaryū-1s and dispatch them as the main force for the third attack. Their targets are battleships. Additionally, regarding the Zeros, leave one section for direct air cover on each carrier, and deploy all others for the mission. Equip the Zero squadrons of the First, Second, and Third Fleets with the Kyōryū-2s and instruct them to strike the destroyers. The Zero squadron of the Fourth Fleet will be tasked with bombing the Midway Island base."

The air power of Midway Atoll had already been destroyed through the surprise attack of the Zuiun reconnaissance planes. However, it was only the planes that were destroyed, and the runways remained operational. Therefore, it was likely that a significant number of aircraft from the American carrier planes that were defeated in the aerial battles between the task forces, would have landed on the island without carriers to return to. If that were the case, it would be dangerous to either commit all Zeros to attack enemy destroyers or to leave the Midway base untouched. Ozawa issued a series of commands, but the aviation staff officer raised an objection.

"Redirecting all Zeros from the Fourth Fleet to Midway Atoll might be a bit excessive in terms of firepower."

Previously, the Zeros could carry either one 250 kg bomb or four 60 kg bombs. However, the upgraded Zero Model 53 could carry either a 500 kg bomb under the fuselage or two 250 kg bombs under each wing, effectively doubling the bomb payload.

Before the battle, the Fourth Fleet had a total of 228 operational Zeros. Although their numbers had significantly decreased due to successive intense battles, more than half of them were still likely to be immediately available for use. If all these aircraft were to launch an airstrike on Midway Atoll, it would undoubtedly result in the destruction of the airfield. However, the aviation staff officer argued that it would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Listening to the staff officer's recommendation, Ozawa made a mental calculation. Even if the operational Zeros of the Fourth Fleet were halved, that would still be 114 planes. However, the actual number of usable aircraft would likely be even higher. And if they were all equipped for bombing missions, the Midway airfield would be rendered unusable for the foreseeable future, perhaps a day or at most two. In the current situation, rendering it temporarily unusable would suffice. If that is the case, then the air staff is probably right in saying that they are overcommitting.

"A partial amendment to the orders. Each fleet's carriers will allocate one section for direct air cover and one for the attack on Midway Atoll, while the remaining squadrons will focus on attacking American destroyers."

With a nod of approval, Ozawa turned to the aviation staff officer. Meanwhile, the staff officer bowed, expressing gratitude for accepting his recommendation.

After the formal orders were issued, the carriers of the First, Second, Third, and Fourth Fleets each turned their bows into the wind. The launch of the third wave was about to begin.