SHIP'S INTELLIGENCE LEXICON | Chapter 1

Sudden Visitor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What is this?"

Rear Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto had just returned from the London Naval Conference as the deputy chief attaché. With a puzzled expression still on his face, he received a document and something resembling a pencil from the man in front of him. The person who sought the meeting for a somewhat extravagant reason, claiming to have something important to convey about the future of the Imperial Navy, was named Ryūkaku Hiranuma. This name was likely a pseudonym.

However, this Hiranuma carried an atmosphere that made it difficult to respond rudely. It was a different kind of aura, not one of rank or dignity. Perhaps it was an oppressive feeling akin to that possessed by supernatural beings like gods or demons.

The ledger and pencil Yamamoto received had an unprecedented, almost otherworldly sensation. The cover of the document bore the words "Ship's Intelligence Lexicon."

"Literal meaning, knowing the meaning behind the words. Feel free to pronounce it as you like," said Hiranuma, but he continued as if dismissing the issue, focusing on what was essential.

"The Imperial Navy will formulate plans such as Circle 1 and Circle 2 under the constraints of the London Naval Treaty, followed by shipbuilding plans like Circle 3 and Circle 4 in anticipation of the expiration of the treaty. This document contains a list of the ships to be built, along with their construction costs. If you use this divine pencil to make corrections, it will be reflected in the real world. Be cautious to adjust so that the additional ships and the removed ships have roughly the same amount. Oh, and it's also possible to divert the construction costs that were supposed to be allocated to newly built ships to the renovation costs or technology development expenses of existing ships. For example, it's possible to convert a battleship into an aircraft carrier."

While listening to Hiranuma's explanation, Yamamoto didn't bother hiding his suspicion towards something dubious. Still, he flipped through the document because he was somewhat interested.

"Oh, in Circle 3 they plan to build two battleships and two aircraft carriers each. Moreover, despite budgeting 100 million yen per battleship, they actually request 140 million yen, and the main guns are 46-centimeter guns. Quite interesting. But if that's the case, why not take it to a publishing house rather than bringing it to me? If you find an editor with peculiar tastes, they might be willing to listen to the story."

In response to Yamamoto's joking words, Hiranuma returned a counter that made no sense.

"Well, you see, when we discussed it within our group, it was decided that you are the most suitable, Yamamoto-san. Otherwise, the war between Japan and the United States might become too boring, you know?"

Hiranuma's insensitive remarks caused a faint trace of anger to appear on Yamamoto's face.

"Do you mean Japan and the United States will go to war? Are you a prophet?"

"I am not a prophet. However, I do know when the war will happen. On Day 8 Month 12 of the 16th year of Shōwa (December 8, 1941), more than ten years from now, Japan will declare war on the United States."

"Oho, that's quite specific. So, what happens to Japan?"

Yamamoto's expression, which initially included anger, now turned provocative. However, Hiranuma remained unchanged in the face of Yamamoto's transformation.

"At first, Japan will gain an upper hand. Especially against weak American and British colonial defense forces in places like the Philippines and Malaya with poor equipment and fewer numbers. However, except for the first year, Japan will almost continuously lose against the enemy's regular forces. There may be victories in local battles, but overall, it will be a losing streak. Eventually, on Day 15 Month 8 of the 20th year of Shōwa (August 15, 1945), Japan will raise the white flag."

"I don't intend to criticize Japan for losing. Considering the opponent, that's understandable. No, it's almost a miracle to keep fighting against the United States for nearly four years."

Saying so, Yamamoto glanced at the clock. No naval officer had time to spare. Even those called "daytime lamps" were individuals who worked behind the scenes where people couldn't see.

Hiranuma seemed adept at reading the situation. Without misjudging the timing to conclude, he bowed and prepared to leave, leaving the Ship's Intelligence Lexicon and the divine pencil on the table. Yamamoto was about to tell him to take the documents and the pencil back but changed his mind. There seemed to be an irrational feeling that he shouldn't let go of them. What came out of his mouth was a spontaneous and whimsical remark.

"I heard you speak that writing on this ledger will lead to the construction of desired ships. But is there something written on it that can kill people just by being written? It might be quicker to eliminate the hardliners in the country or assassinate the hawks in the United States to avoid the war effort."

To Yamamoto's somewhat unsettling words, Hiranuma's expression, which had been calm until then, momentarily showed a bitter shade.

"Well, um... there are various issues, such as copyright and so on."

In response to Hiranuma's vague words, Yamamoto sensed a high possibility that such a ledger might actually exist. At the same time, a question that had suddenly risen in his mind came out of his mouth.

"Who are you, exactly?"

After a short pause, Hiranuma, with an inexplicable smile, answered.

"Well, I'm what you might call a gentleman in this country. Ah, and please be careful with the ledger and the divine pencil; they are our military secrets, so to speak."

"When you say 'our,' are you part of some organization?"

"No, just ordinary citizens with too much free time... Well, not evil, just, you know, general citizens. Oh, and I almost forgot. Let me give you this too. It's a book I wrote, Chronicle of Intense Reflection. Well, read it if you feel like it," Hiranuma grinned and vanished from the place.