Chapter 56 - Being Caught Off Guard and Ruined

The relentless efforts of the Zuiun squadron resulted in the complete annihilation of the troublesome Midway Atoll's base air force. As a consequence, both Task Forces 35 and 36, which had been deployed to defend the island from the Japanese surface strike forces, found themselves essentially rendered idle.

Although the early stages of the battle saw the Combined Fleet gaining the upper hand, their greatest adversary still remained: the American carriers. In pursuit of this mobile, eighteen planes from each of the carriers of the First, Second, Third, and Fourth Fleets took off before dawn, forming a two-stage reconnaissance line. Thirty minutes later, another eighteen Type 1 reconnaissance planes were launched, further extending the reconnaissance line to eighteen in total, all in an effort to locate the whereabouts of the American fleet.

The massive deployment of reconnaissance aircraft, akin to a grand gesture, astonishingly quickly pinpointed the location of the American fleet:

"Mobile fleet detected consisting of four aircraft carriers and several cruisers and destroyers."

"Mobile fleet detected comprising two aircraft carriers, one large and one small, along with escort vessels."

"Mobile fleet detected with four aircraft carriers as its main force."

"Mobile fleet identified, anchored by one large and three small aircraft carriers."

"Surface strike force detected, consisting of four battleships, two of which are very large."

"Surface strike force detected, including four battleships, apparently intending to rendezvous with the mobile fleet based on its course."

With each piece of information brought by the Type 1 reconnaissance planes regarding the enemy fleet, the activity on the bridge of the flagship Akagi became increasingly frenzied.

"Regarding the mobile fleet, designate them as A-1, A-2, A-3, and A-4 in the order of discovery. As for the surface strike force, designate them as B-1 and B-2."

Echoing through the bridge of the Akagi was the resolute voice of Fleet Commander Ozawa, who assumed both overall command and command of the First Fleet. Unlike Nagumo, who sought opinions from his chief of staff and aviation staff as the situation evolved, Ozawa maintained a decisiveness that could be seen as either admirable or obstinate, depending on one's perspective.

"Launch planes to maintain contact with the six identified fleets. Also, dispatch reconnaissance planes to the airspace between our fleet and the American mobile fleet. Once this is done, immediately deploy the first attack group."

After a brief pause, Ozawa issued further orders.

"Upon completion of the first wave launch, deploy the second attack group immediately. Additionally, as for the second attack group's target instructions: The First Fleet will target A-1, the Second Fleet will target A-2, the Third Fleet will target A-3, and the Fourth Fleet will target A-4. B-1 and B-2 can be ignored for the time being."

The first wave, as directed by Ozawa, was tasked with eliminating enemy interceptors. Comprising 48 Zeros from the First Fleet, 96 from the Second Fleet, and 72 each from the Third and Fourth Fleets, totaling 288 Zeros, they formed the backbone of this operation. In addition, four Type 1 reconnaissance planes provided command and control, navigation support, and forward surveillance.

The second wave, on the other hand, consisted of 24 Zeros and 54 Type 1 attackers from each of the First and Second Fleets, and 36 Zeros and 54 Type 1 attackers from each of the Third and Fourth Fleets, totaling 336 aircraft. Their mission was primarily anti-ship attacks. Furthermore, each carrier deployed two squadrons, totaling 504 Zeros, to provide direct air cover.

Meanwhile, Admiral Halsey, commanding the US Third Fleet, placed equal if not greater emphasis on gathering intelligence. From the seven Essex-class carriers, a total of 28 SB2C Helldiver dive bombers were dispatched for reconnaissance. They successfully pinpointed the positions of all four mobile fleets and the surface strike force, the Seventh Fleet, in the vicinity of Midway.

Halsey, known for his bold and decisive leadership, wasted no time in implementing aggressive strategies. 24 F6F Hellcats and 32 SB2Cs from each of the seven Essex-class carriers, along with 18 TBF Avengers, were launched. Additionally, from the Independence-class carriers, 12 F6Fs and 9 TBFs were sent forth, totaling 693 aircraft unleashed towards the Japanese fleet. These pilots, trained to maintain large formations, had learned from the disappointment of last year's Battle of Brisbane, where they had failed to coordinate attacks in large formations. As a result, they had been subjected to either wave attacks or gradual reinforcement, all of which were repelled or shot down by Zeros. Now, having undergone training in maintaining formations, they could attack in coordinated waves, much like their Japanese counterparts.

Among the combined Japanese and American attack forces totaling over 1.300 aircraft, the first to initiate combat were Japan's first wave and the F6Fs tasked with intercepting them. At the time, the Americans had prepared 276 F6Fs, divided into two squadrons for the Essex-class carriers and one squadron for the Independence-class carriers, as fleet air defense.

Approximately 564 fighters from both sides clashed at nearly the same altitude. Though Zeros slightly outnumbered the F6Fs, the difference was negligible.

The F6Fs made the first move, relying on the Browning machine guns and engaging Zeros from a distance. No Zeros were caught in their firing lines. Sliding their fuselages, they effortlessly dodged the barrage of heavy 12,7 mm rounds.

As Japanese and American formations intersected, Zeros and F6Fs twisted and turned, each attempting to gain the upper hand behind the other. Zeros, adept at dogfighting, managed to secure the advantage. Meanwhile, the F6Fs, boasting 2.000 horsepower, attempted to outmaneuver the Zeros. The battle at Marcus Island had already proven that the Zero could not match the F6F in level acceleration and top speed.

However, instead of distancing themselves, the Zeros closed in rapidly, shocking many American pilots who found themselves in an unprecedented situation. Exploiting this mental shock, Zeros seized the opportunity to shower the F6Fs with 20 mm rounds, swiftly eliminating them one by one.

Unbeknownst to the American pilots, every Zero participating in Operation MI was the latest model, unified under Model 53. Unlike the Models 21 and 32 with their Homare engines, the Model 53 was equipped with the Sakae engine. With an output of 1.950 horsepower, 50% higher than the Model 32, and a top speed exceeding 620 km/h, the Model 53 outperformed the F6F in acceleration and climb rate. Furthermore, the Zero was much lighter than the F6F, so it was clearly superior in terms of acceleration and climbing performance.

American pilots, assuming they were facing the same type of Zeros they encountered in the skies over Marcus Island, were mentally blindsided. Consequently, the F6Fs suffered nearly 90 losses in the initial engagement, while the Zeros sustained less than 10 casualties. What was nearly a one-to-one ratio of forces between Japan and the US quickly widened to three-to-two in an instant.

With inferior aircraft performance, lesser pilot skill, and facing an outnumbered opponent, there seemed to be no chance of victory. The three-to-two force ratio soon shifted to four-to-two and eventually to five-to-two. At that point, it was akin to a mop-up operation against remaining enemies.

Furthermore, the Zeros of the first wave, tasked with fighter sweep missions, were allowed considerable leeway for pursuit. Multiple Zeros chased single F6Fs in the airspace west of the American mobile fleet. Attempting to utilize their only advantage, the dive speed, F6Fs attempted to disengage. However, once they lost altitude, they lost this advantage. With Zeros pressing down on them, F6Fs resorted to desperate counterattacks, only to be met with a barrage of 20 mm rounds from above.

In this battle, F6Fs suffered near-total annihilation within a very short time. Among the miraculously surviving pilots, one later described the harrowing battle as the "Midway Turkey Shoot," reflecting on its disastrous outcome.