Chapter 37 - Transfer of Forces

Even after the United Kingdom has withdrawn from the war, the United States will not withdraw from the war. When Yamamoto was told of Hiranuma's analysis, a look of disappointment or dismay crossed his face.

"Although it doesn't stand out behind the shadow of the United States' might, the fact that the United Kingdom is dropping out of the war is a significant blow for the Axis powers. Moreover, the outcome of this war is determined by the battles in Europe. It's a bit uncomfortable for me to say such things to a military man like you, Yamamoto-san, but battles in the Pacific, when viewed on a global scale, are nothing more than small-scale local conflicts. The quantity of resources consumed and the lives lost are incomparably smaller than in Europe."

Hiranuma once told him that more than 80% of the American war resources were directed towards Europe. Of course, Yamamoto is aware that the United States prioritizes Europe. This can be easily understood by examining Roosevelt's previous statements. However, feeling that over 80% might be an exaggeration, he had his subordinates investigate that point. The result, however, was as Hiranuma had stated, or perhaps even more. And he, not only considering Japan's interests but also looking at the interests of the Axis powers, wondered which of them was the true strategic expert.

"Axis powers' interests are equal to Japan's interests. Is that why you are asking us to accept Hitler's request?" Yamamoto asked Hiranuma directly after regaining his composure.

"You, Yamamoto-san, sought to inflict significant damage on the Americans through relentless attacks intending to break their will to fight. You were also aiming for an early peace on favorable terms for Japan. In reality, with a surprise attack on Oahu Island, you buried the battleships of the Pacific Fleet in a literal sea of fire by turning Pearl Harbor into an inferno. In the Battle of Brisbane, you brilliantly annihilated the American mobile task force. You also occupied the Philippines and forced Australia to withdraw from the war. However, even so, the United States is not willing to exit the war. Certainly, the decisive blows of the Imperial Navy might have pierced through the American skin and caused some pain. The United States must have felt a certain degree of discomfort. However, unfortunately, those blows did not reach the point of breaking their bones, in other words, shattering their will to continue the war. In the first place, your belief in an early decisive battle and short-term peace was an impossible proposition against the United States. In that case, the only option left is a war of attrition. And if you are to face the mighty nation of the United States, material and technological assistance from Germany are indispensable factors. Rejecting Hitler's request would be nothing short of suicidal for Japan in its current state."

It has been over four months since the war began. The Japanese military has achieved victories in various places, but these are mostly localized battles and have not directly struck the US mainland. Yamamoto himself understood better than anyone that this will remain impossible in the future. Among the respectable Imperial Navy officers, there should be no one dreaming of landing on the US mainland.

"Hiranuma-san, you once said that no matter how many aircraft carriers or battleships we sink, it's useless to win against the United States. If we're going to do it, we should cut down the lives of American soldiers. Therefore, we need to persistently hunt down American soldiers until the United States military as an organization becomes untenable in a war of attrition. That's what it comes down to."

While saying this, Yamamoto seemed to see a small smile on Hiranuma's face. However, it was a momentary thing, so he convinced himself that it was an illusion. It is hard to believe that anyone would smile in the middle of a talk about killing people, even if it's enemy commanders.

"Because it's war, we cannot avoid killing enemy commanders and soldiers. However, if we can force the British to withdraw from the war, we can definitely reduce the deaths of Japanese soldiers accordingly. In reality, even in decisive victories like the Battle of Malaya and the subsequent Battle of the Indian Ocean, there must have been a significant number of casualties, especially among the aircrew. And such sacrifices will continue as long as the British continues to fight. Therefore, in terms of reducing the sacrifices of Japanese soldiers, I believe dispatching a fleet to defeat the British is a meaningful action."

Certainly, if the number of enemies decreases, the sacrifices of allies can be reduced accordingly. If the early decisive battle and short-term peace are unattainable, efforts must be made to minimize the losses of allied soldiers as much as possible. Therefore, Yamamoto temporarily shelved his thoughts on early decisive battle and short-term peace and seeks Hiranuma's opinion on the deployment of the Combined Fleet to Europe.

"If we don't deploy all the aircraft carriers and battleships of the Combined Fleet, it will be quite difficult to defeat the enemy fleet."

In response to Hiranuma's words, Yamamoto harbored a slight doubt. The British Royal Navy lost many of its main force ships in the Battle of Malaya and the subsequent Battle of the Indian Ocean. Even before that, they lost a considerable number of battleships and aircraft carriers on the European front. Facing such an opponent, Yamamoto couldn't understand why the Combined Fleet had to go all out.

"If it were only the British fleet, we might have managed with just the mobile task force. However, if we directly attack the United Kingdom, the Americans are bound to come to their aid. Considering the strength of the British and American fleet combined, victory is uncertain unless the Combined Fleet confronts them with its full strength."

In response to Hiranuma's point, Yamamoto calculated in his mind. The UK has two armored carriers, the Illustrious and Victorious, as well as two older carriers, the Furious and Eagle. On the other hand, the US has three aircraft carriers, the Hornet, Wasp, and Ranger, but it is known that the Hornet and Wasp are deployed in the Pacific Fleet.

"The American and British on the Atlantic side have only five carriers, whereas we have more than a dozen, both large and small. I don't think our advantage is immobile. Also, if the entire Combined Fleet is sent to Europe, there is a risk that American carriers may engage in guerrilla warfare in the Pacific during our absence. Do we have countermeasures in such a case?"

"Even if American carriers engage in guerrilla warfare, they would at most provoke trouble around Marshall or Rabaul. If they were foolish enough to do such a thing when the United Kingdom is in a crisis, we should welcome it with open arms. Also, currently, the Pacific Fleet has relocated its main base from the incapacitated Pearl Harbor to San Diego. In other words, the shift makes it easier to move the forces between the Pacific and the Atlantic. If the Combined Fleet heads to Europe, the Hornet and Wasp will undoubtedly move to the Atlantic to stand in the way of the Combined Fleet to protect the United Kingdom."