Chapter 44 - Fourth Wave

The first and second waves returned with significant achievements. The first wave dispersed enemy fighters that appeared for interception, while the second wave destroyed all British and American destroyers, with a considerable number of them sinking to the ocean floor. Following the retrieval of the first and second waves, Nagumo in charge of aerial combat command deployed the third wave. Meanwhile, during the deployment of the first and second waves, 216 Zero fighters responsible for fleet air defense and four Type 1 reconnaissance aircraft for reconnaissance and aerial combat command support were deployed.

On the other hand, the Allied fleet, recognizing the third wave as a threat, launched F4F Wildcats and Martlets, which were still operational despite intense combat with Zero fighters. However, outnumbered by the Zero fighters, they suffered heavy losses and were completely depleted of their combat capability.

After deploying the third wave, Nagumo ordered the formation of the fourth wave from aircraft capable of immediate reuse among those that participated in the first and second attacks. The Type 1 attacker used the Funryū-1 for long-range attacks, primarily targeting the deployed destroyers on the outer perimeter of the fleet. However, despite efforts, many aircraft suffered hits due to being forced into straight and level flight at a fixed altitude while operating the Funryū-1. Consequently, despite the low number of missing aircraft, less than forty percent of the initial 85 planes were able to participate in the fourth attack.

In contrast, the Zero fighters had a significantly higher operational rate compared to the Type 1 attackers, with nearly sixty percent of the initial 221 planes still available. Among these, 153 Zero fighters were launched, with Commander Fuchida, the leader of the second wave, continuing to lead the fourth wave consisting of 238 aircraft.

"The Third Fleet targets the carriers in the lead, the Fourth Fleet targets the middle, and the Fifth Fleet targets the rear. The attack methods of the Fourth and Fifth Fleets are left to their respective senior commanders."

The targets of the fourth wave's Type 1 attackers are three American carriers. Although there were also four British carriers and eight battleships among the main forces, Nagumo and the Third Fleet headquarters decided to prioritize striking the American carriers based on past experience.

"Specifying targets for the Funryū unit. The Jun'yō and Hiyō squadrons target cruisers, and the Akagi squadron targets carriers. Follow the instructions of Lieutenant Commander Murata for the torpedo squadron."

The Third Fleet had only 24 Type 1 attackers. While the Fourth and Fifth Fleets had more than 30 planes, this shortage occurred due to the targets of the Akagi and Kaga squadrons in the second wave being American battleship units. By attacking the American battleship units, which boast the highest anti-aircraft firepower in the Allied fleet, the Akagi and Kaga squadrons suffered more damage and lost more aircraft compared to other squadrons. Originally, each carrier in the fourth wave was supposed to deploy a section with Funryūs. However, this would have left not enough torpedo bombers. Therefore, all aircraft in the Kaga squadron were equipped with torpedoes for the sortie.

Initially, target B1, surrounded by two cruisers and six destroyers, was a formidable mobile unit guarding the carriers. However, it is now flanked only by cruisers on each side.

Nine Type 1 attackers from the Third Fleet were closing in on them. Although reduced to three ships, the volume of barrage from the American carriers and cruisers is formidable. Before releasing the Funryū-1s, one plane from the Jun'yō squadron was literally blown away by a near miss from high-angle gunfire. However, the remaining eight Type 1 attackers launched the missiles without any disturbance. One plane dropped out due to mechanical trouble, and another was shot down by anti-aircraft fire. Nevertheless, the remaining six planes all hit either American carriers or cruisers, releasing explosive charges with a force of up to 300 kilograms.

The American carriers and cruisers hit by two Funryū-1s each emitted large volumes of smoke from the points of impact. While none of them became completely immobilized like destroyers, the significant damage inflicted was evident, especially considering the considerable reduction in anti-aircraft fire.

At this moment, the torpedo squadron led by Murata initiated an attack. It was a classic pincer maneuver with eight aircraft from the left and seven from the right. Although no aircraft from the right side, which had been hit by Funryū-1s, was shot down, one aircraft attacking from the unscathed left side was shot down by machine gun and cannon fire before dropping its torpedoes. Another plane from the left was also shot down, both before and after dropping its torpedoes.

Skilled crew members launched fourteen torpedoes under the ideal pincer maneuver. The targeted American carrier desperately attempted evasive maneuvers, but even with divine piloting skills, avoiding such attacks was impossible. Three torpedoes struck the starboard side, and two struck the port side, creating columns of water.

'Five hits. I'd almost call that a sinking, but considering it's the formidable American navy carriers with exceptional damage control, we need to observe a while longer.'

As Commander Fuchida pondered, reports of successful attacks began pouring in from the air groups of the Fourth and Fifth Fleets.

"The attacks by the Shōkaku, Zuikaku, and Hiryū squadrons have concluded. Seven torpedoes hit carriers that appeared to be the Hornet and Wasp, ensuring their destruction. Additionally, two cruisers were destroyed."

"The attacks by the Kamikaku, Amakaku, and Sōryū squadrons have concluded. Six torpedoes hit the Ranger, ensuring its destruction. Additionally, two cruisers were destroyed."

The Fourth and Fifth Fleets, with larger forces compared to the Third Fleet, successfully sank the carriers. With this, the US Navy had lost all seven of its regular carriers that were maintained before the war. The US Navy was rumored to complete the construction of new regular carriers by the end of this year or early next year. However, after suffering such heavy losses, it would be very difficult to regenerate a new mobile force, even with just one personnel.

Following the Fourth and Fifth Fleets, reports of achievements from the Zero fighter squadrons continued to come in. All 153 Zero fighters carried 250 kg bombs under their bellies for the sortie. Their mission was to deliver the final blow to the wounded British and American destroyers. Although destroyers were small targets, each one had been significantly weakened in mobility and anti-aircraft firepower by the Funryū-1s, making them relatively easy to bomb. The battered Zero fighters, dispersed in sections, fearlessly carried out low-altitude bombing on the half-dead British and American destroyers.

"We've delivered the final blow to twenty-three destroyers. So, there are currently only twenty floating on the ocean."

At the start of the battle, there were 66 British and American destroyers. This meant that nearly seventy percent of them had been sunk.

'Even the carriers without their carrier-based aircraft and the battleships and cruisers without destroyer escort are not much of a threat. This battle is undoubtedly a victory for Japan. Now, the remaining question is how far the higher-ups intend to expand our achievements.'

Targets such as British carriers, American new battleships, and damaged destroyers still remained and needed to be dealt with immediately.

'Well, it's probably useless for us common folk to think about such matters.'

With this thought, Commander Fuchida glanced downward. He could see the draft of the carriers they had attacked gradually increasing. Despite being equipped with excellent damage control, American carriers couldn't survive the onslaught of five torpedoes simultaneously. Convinced of the targets' destruction, Fuchida ordered the return to the Akagi and simultaneously surveyed the surroundings. Although they had sunk three American carriers, there were still four British carriers left. If even one fighter remained, an attack could occur at any moment. There was no room for a moment's carelessness; he definitely didn't want to end up scattered across the skies of Europe in an instant.