Unveiling Sanju's Past

In the quiet of the evening, Bhargav found himself strolling towards the garden where Ashok tatha, sat on a bench, sharing old stories with his grandparents. The air was cool and refreshing, but Bhargav's mind was elsewhere, entangled in the complexities of recent distressing events and how to handle Anjali. As he approached, Ashok tatha's voice drifted to him, laden with a melancholy that immediately piqued Bhargav's attention. "January 22nd...it was a tragic day, truly heartbreaking for all of us," Ashok was saying, his voice thick with emotion. Bhargav paused his steps, not wanting to intrude but unable to walk away from the unfolding story. "Sanju had just started to walk, a delightful little bundle tottering around. My wife Ganga, Sanju's parents, and I were all thrilled about the outing. We had planned to celebrate her first birthday in style, taking her to a circus in a nearby town, which featured lots of rides for small children." Ashok paused, his voice catching as he delved deeper into the memory. Ganga and I were holding onto Sanju to keep her from running around. At the same time, my son and daughter-in-law crossed the street to pick up some toys for Sanju and snacks for everyone. That was the moment — it occurred suddenly: a drunk driver, hurtling down the road in a lorry, lost control. They...  they had no chance of survival.

Bhargav felt a cold shiver run down his spine, his heart clenching at the stark pain in Ashok tatha's voice. The elder continued, his voice a soft whisper now, strained with the effort of holding back tears. "After that, it was just us. Ganga never recovered from the loss of our only son. She passed away three years later, her heart just gave out from grief." Bhargav leaned against the tree, overwhelmed by the weight of the story he had never known — Sanju's story. The story of a girl who lost so much yet carried herself with such grace and resilience. "Sanju never complained, not once. She grew up to be the most self-reliant, loving child anyone could ask for. Never asked for anything, always looking to lighten my burdens." Ashok's voice broke with pride. "She never celebrated her birthday after that; instead, she'd go to the temple, praying and seeking blessings from everyone. She just... kept all her sorrow inside, always presenting a cheerful face to the world."  

Bhargav stepped forward, his presence causing Ashok to look up, his eyes mirroring the pain of his recounted memories. Bhargav's grand parents too looked somber, touched by the depth of the story they were hearing. Bhargav, his voice unsteady with emotion, addressed Ashok. "I had no idea, tatha... Sanju never mentioned any of this to me. I knew she was strong, but this... this is a level of strength and quiet dignity that I can barely even begin to comprehend." Ashok gave a sad smile, nodding slowly. "She wouldn't want to burden you, or anyone, with her past. That's Sanju; always thinking about others, never herself." The revelation shook Bhargav to his core. Here he was, caught up in his own troubles and insecurities, while Sanju carried such profound scars with such poise and silence. He felt a renewed surge of protectiveness, a deep-seated respect and pride for the woman he loved, and a quiet resolve to be there for her, to be her support as she had been his without even a whisper of her own needs. "Thank you for sharing this, tatha," Bhargav said softly, his voice thick. "Tatha, would you mind taking me to Ramapura? I'm eager to visit the place where Sanju spent her entire life. It's really important for me to learn more about her past — it helps me connect with her on a deeper level. Also, could we please keep this trip a secret from Sanju?" As Ashok nodded, Bhargav turned to walk back to the house, his mind racing with thoughts of how to support Sanju better, how to celebrate her upcoming birthday in a way that would honor her past but also celebrate the incredible woman she had become. He knew now, more than ever, that his place was by her side — not just as her husband but as her best friend, her confidant, and her pillar of strength.

The next morning after Sanju went to work, Bhargav and Ashok tatha flew in a helicopter to Ramapura, heading straight to the quaint village where Sanju had spent her childhood. Bhargav had taken a day off, determined to understand more about Sanju's roots, her past that she so humbly carried. Upon arriving, the stark simplicity of the place struck Bhargav deeply. Ashok led him to the tiny thatched hut where Sanju had spent her early years. It was no larger than the huge bed in their master bedroom back home, serving as the kitchen, living room, and bedroom all at once. The bathroom outside was just four walls with a door made of braided coconut leaves and no roof — a sharp contrast to the comforts Bhargav had always known. As they walked through the village, Ashok introduced Bhargav to various landmarks that had been significant in Sanju's life. They visited Shruthi's parents' house, the beautiful Shri Ram temple where Sanju prayed regularly, and the home of the local doctor where Sanju had worked as a maid. The villagers, recognizing Ashok, greeted them warmly, and their faces lit up at the mention of Sanju. Each person they met had a story to share about Sanju's kindness and her unwavering, positive spirit. Bhargav was touched by tales of how Sanju donated most of her salary every month to the village.  By funding the school, she enabled the purchase of new books, educational materials, and even helped in repairing the classrooms, which greatly enriched the learning environment for the children. Her donations to the hospital meant that it could acquire essential medical supplies and equipment, thus improving the healthcare services available to the sick and needy villagers. Through her selfless financial support, Sanju not only uplifted the educational standards but also ensured better health care provisions, profoundly impacting the overall well-being of her community.