Lakshmi and Sanjana meet for the first time

Lakshmi, freshly emerged from her prayers, proceeded towards Abhaya Hasta orphanage. Mrs. Parimala, welcomed her mentor and wellwisher, Lakshmi with a radiant smile, breaking the pleasant calm of the day. "Lakshmi ji, it's been a while since your last visit. How are you doing?" Mrs. Parimala inquired with genuine concern. "I'm well, thank you Pari. How come you're not busy right now?" Lakshmi asked. "Lakshmi ji, there's someone I'd like you to meet," Mrs. Parimala said, leading her towards Mr. Ashok's room. In Mr. Ashok's room, the elderly man greeted Lakshmi with a gentle smile that barely concealed a hint of apprehension. As pleasantries were exchanged, Lakshmi extended her heartfelt wishes for his speedy recovery. Mrs. Parimala then guided Lakshmi to the area where children were engaged in various activities.

The vibrant atmosphere of the orphanage buzzed with energy as Sanju gathered the children for her art class. The room echoed with excited chatter and laughter, creating a lively ambiance that seemed to uplift everyone present. Sanju, with her gentle demeanor and radiant smile, began the class by introducing the day's art project. The children, eager to start, clapped and cheered as Sanju handed out newspaper, glue, and a basket of natural materials collected from the garden. Walking around the room, she encouraged each child's unique flair, guiding them through their creative endeavors. Sanju's classroom was a canvas painted with children's joyous expressions and colorful creations; each child weaving their dreams into art under her watchful eye.

But curled up in one corner sat a 5 year old Arjun - his world colored by different shades; autism made him an island amidst a sea of faces. The laughter stung; he felt alienated in this world where he had been abandoned because he danced to a different tune. Sanju saw Arjun - his silent screams louder than the children's laughter around him. She reached out to connect with him through gentle words. Yet Arjun remained silent – his gaze fixed on distant horizons beyond walls, clutching his stuffed bear. He hated art class. He hated the noise, the smells, the textures, and the expectations. He hated the other kids, who laughed at him and called him names. He hated the orphanage, where he had been dumped by his parents when they found out he was different. He felt a surge of emotions he could not point out - sadness and anger, wishing he could escape this nightmare. She knelt down to his level and spoke softly and gently, using simple words and gestures. She asked him about his bear, his hobbies, his dreams. She listened attentively and nodded encouragingly. "Arjun. Do you want to make some art with me?" she asked softly. Arjun did not look at her. He kept staring at the wall, rocking back and forth slightly. He did not respond to her question. Sanju did not give up. She knew that Arjun had a hard time communicating and socializing with others. She reached into the basket and took out a dandelion flower. She held it in front of Arjun's face and shook it gently. 

"Look, Arjun. This is a dandelion flower. It has a nice shape and texture. Do you want to touch it?" she asked. Arjun glanced at the dandelion flower briefly, then looked away. He did not reach for it. Sanju did not get discouraged. She put the flower on the table next to him, and took out another item from the basket. It was a red rose. 

"This is a rose. It's a beautiful flower. It has a lovely color and smell. Do you want to smell it?" she asked. She held the rose under Arjun's nose and waited for his reaction. Arjun sniffed the rose and made a face. He pushed it away with his hand. Sanju smiled. She was glad that he had shown some interest and expression. She put the rose on the table next to the pine cone, and took out another item from the basket. It was a lemon.

"This is a lemon. It's a fruit. It has a sour taste and a bright yellow color. Do you want to taste it?" she asked. She cut the lemon in half and squeezed some juice onto her finger. She offered it to Arjun's mouth. Arjun opened his mouth and licked the juice. He grimaced and spat it out. He made a loud noise and covered his ears. Sanju smiled. She was happy that he had tried something new and had made a sound. She put the lemon on the table next to the rose and the dandelion flower, and took out another item from the basket. It was a feather. "This is a feather. It's from a bird. It has a soft and light feel. Do you want to feel it?" she asked. She brushed the feather against Arjun's cheek and neck. Arjun shivered and smiled. He reached for the feather and held it in his hand. He stroked it with his fingers and brought it to his face. Sanju clapped her hands. She was thrilled that he had smiled and touched something. She put the feather on the table next to the lemon, the rose, and the dandelion flower, and took out another item from the basket. It was a small mirror. 

"This is a mirror. It's a shiny object that reflects light. It can show you your own image. Do you want to see yourself?" she asked. She held the mirror in front of Arjun's face and pointed at it. Arjun looked at the mirror and saw his reflection. He tilted his head and blinked his eyes. He touched the mirror and his face. He made a curious sound and smiled. Sanju hugged him. She was overjoyed that he had recognized himself and smiled again. She put the mirror on the table next to the feather, the lemon, the rose, and the dandelion flower, and took out the last item from the basket. It was a paintbrush. "This is a paintbrush. It's a tool for making art. You can use it to paint with different colors and make your own pictures. Do you want to paint with me?" she asked.

She dipped the paintbrush in a cup of water and mixed it with some mud. She made a brown paint and painted a circle on a paper plate. She handed the paintbrush and the paper plate to Arjun. "Here, Arjun. You can paint whatever you want. You can use all the things on the table to make your own art." she said. Arjun took the paintbrush and the paper plate. He looked at the things on the table. He looked at Sanju. He looked at the wall. He looked at the paintbrush. He looked at the paper plate. He looked at Sanju again. He smiled. He started to paint.

Mrs. Lakshmi observed the transformation not only of the children's canvases but also of their moods. Sanju's ability to turn challenging situations into opportunities for connection and joy left a lasting impression, especially looking at Arjun who was not talking to anyone now smiling and painting with Sanju had tears of joy in both Parimala and Lakshmi's eyes. 

After the class concluded, Mrs. Parimala approached Sanju and introduced Mrs Lakshmi, who was expressing her admiration. "You have a remarkable way with these children, Sanju." Sanju, humbled by the praise, replied, "Thank you, ma'am. I believe every child deserves a chance to express themselves and find joy in creativity." Smiling warmly, Lakshmi said, "Come on, my dear. I am a grandma. You can call me Ajji." Respecting Lakshmi's warmth, Sanju bowed down and touched her feet to seek blessings. Lakshmi blessed her to live a happy life and hugged her and ran her hands on Sanju's head.

Later, as Lakshmi conversed with Mrs. Parimala, curiosity about Sanju's background arose. Mrs. Parimala shared the compelling story of Sanju and her grandfather, Ashok Rao, highlighting their struggles and unwavering perseverance. Mrs. Parimala inquired, "Lakshmi ji, do you know of any opportunities where Sanju could use her artistic talents to earn some money for her grandfathers surgery? I would prefer she not work as a maid or a waitress, given her remarkable skills." Deep in thought, Lakshmi contemplated ways to assist Sanju. "Sanju," Mrs. Parimala called gently. The young artist looked up, her eyes widening in surprise upon seeing Lakshmi still there. Lakshmi began. "I would love to see some of your artwork if you don't mind." A mix of emotions crossed Sanju's face - pride, excitement, but also a hint of nervousness. She hesitated for a moment before retrieving an old book from beneath her bed; its pages were filled with stunning drawings and paintings that showcased the evolution of Sanju's artistic journey. As Lakshmi flipped through the pages, each piece of art told a story - stories of pain and joy, struggle and triumph; every stroke bore testament to Sanju's unwavering spirit amidst adversities." These are extraordinary," Lakshmi exclaimed genuinely impressed. "May I take this with me for a few days? I promise to return it safely." A wave of hesitation washed over Sanju; those pages were more than just art – they were fragments of her soul, memories intricately woven into every sketch and painting. But as she looked into Lakshmi's sincere eyes, something told her it was okay to trust this stranger who seemed so genuinely interested in helping her. Sensing the young girl's hesitation, Lakshmi reassured her warmly. "I understand how precious these are to you," she said gently. "I will keep them safe and return them in just a few days." After a moment's pause, Sanju nodded silently handing over the book to Lakshmi who held it delicately like a treasure trove of priceless artifacts.

On her way back, With a smile, Lakshmi told Parimala, "I might have an idea her. Let me see if I can find something suitable for her." Mrs. Lakshmi couldn't shake off the feeling that Sanju's talents deserved a broader platform. The thought of introducing her to opportunities beyond the orphanage took root in her mind. Leaving the orphanage with that thought in mind, Lakshmi was unaware that the young artist she was so impressed with was the same girl who had filled the temple with her melodious voice earlier that day.