Unexpected Bonds and Warm Gestures

Ashok Rao sat down with Sanju, a blend of excitement and apprehension in his voice. "Sanju, the family you are marrying into, they are good people. Dr. Krishna and Radha, remember them from the hospital? They are the parents of the groom. He's involved in business, and they are quite well-off but very humble." He chose his words carefully, not wanting to overwhelm her with the family's wealth. "The wedding is in two weeks, on Akshay Tritiya," he added softly.

Following their conversation, Ashok Rao retrieved his modest savings, intent on making meaningful purchases for the wedding. He aimed to acquire a simple saree for Sanju's special day, a traditional mangalya symbolizing her maternal heritage, and initially considered a gold wedding ring for Bhargav. Sanju, quietly processing the overwhelming news, expressed her desire to contribute by purchasing the gold wedding ring for Bhargav using her own stipend. Touched by her thoughtfulness, Ashok Rao then resolved to use the remaining funds to select a quality branded watch as a gift for Bhargav, ensuring each token of affection was carefully chosen with love and consideration within their means.

Meanwhile, Vijay, having learned about the wedding from Lakshmi Ajji, was thrilled. Sanju, unaware of Vijay's connection to her soon-to-be husband's family, called him, Usha, and her computer class mentor to inform them of her wedding and request leave. They happily granted her the leave, sharing in her joy. Ashok then called Gopi to share the news and request him and his wife to perform the kanyadan, treating Sanju like their daughter. However, they regretfully informed him of a death in their family, making them unavailable for the kanyadan, though they promised to attend as guests.

Later, Narasimha called Ashok, spinning Bhargav's request for a private, family-only wedding as consideration for Sanju's comfort. Ashok was touched by this perceived thoughtfulness. Narasimha also mentioned his unavailability to meet Sanju due to an overseas assignment, returning only a day before the wedding. Ashok understood, trusting Narasimha's judgment. Sanju was happy with the thoughtfulness of her husband to be as well but she had a request that she would like the orphanage kids to be a part of the wedding along with Parimala. Narasimha was glad that she was thinking about the kids whom she knew only for a couple of months as her own family. He agreed to that. With Narasimha's absence and Gopi's unavailability, Ashok faced the dilemma of finding someone for the kanyadan. Meanwhile, Sanju excitedly shared the news with Shruthi, who decided to spend the next weekend with her, both excited and concerned about the sudden decision.

In the midst of this, Parimala beckoned Sanju and Ashok to meet some visitors. To their surprise, it was Vijay, Ragini, and their kids. Ragini expressed her eagerness to assist with the wedding rituals, while Sanju was astonished to learn of Vijay's close relationship with her future husband.Vijay then presented Sanju with a saree, saying warmly, "Consider me your brother, Sanju. Accept this as the first gift from your maternal side for the kuladevata puja." Tears welled up in Sanju's eyes as she accepted the saree, overwhelmed by the gesture. Having never had a brother, she felt a deep sense of gratitude and kinship.

Seizing the moment, Ashok turned to Vijay. "Vijay ji, I have a humble request. As you see, it's just the two of us. We have no one to perform the kanyadan. Could you and Ragini ji stand in as Sanju's brother and sister-in-law to perform the wedding rituals?" Vijay and Ragini shared a glance of joy. As an only child, Vijay felt deeply honored by the request. "You've asked Ragini and me to perform Sanju's kanyadan, embracing her as my sister. That makes you my grandfather. Please, refer to us by our names tatha. It's our privilege to stand in as Sanju's brother and sister-in-law for the kanyadan. Rest assured, we'll be there from the very beginning, taking part in all the rituals and ensuring everything is taken care of," he expressed, his voice echoing with heartfelt emotion.

Vijay and Ragini's readiness to act as Sanju's family introduced a newfound sense of wholeness to the wedding preparations, providing Sanju and her grandfather with the support and affection they deeply needed. It was an auspicious day and with the wedding date quickly approaching, Ragini performed the haldi ritual and then assisted Sanju in adorning the saree they had gifted her. Together, they visited the nearby Shri Ram temple to perform a ceremony making a turmeric Ganesh idol, seeking divine blessings and the removal of any obstacles that might impede the wedding. After completing the Ganesh puja, Vijay, Ragini, and their children bid farewell to head back to Bhargav's home. 

With the weekend offering a perfect opportunity, Sanju decided it was the ideal time to venture out with her grandfather to purchase the wedding ring, saree, and other essential items for the upcoming nuptials. They made their way to Gandhibazaar, located conveniently near the orphanage. During their shopping trip, Sanju reached out to Narasimha to inquire about the ring size for Bhargav. Based on the size, she found a ring design that immediately caught her eye, envisioning it on her future husband. However, upon learning the price was 35K, she realized it was beyond her current budget, having only 20K left after her other expenses. Resolved to wait for her second stipend arriving in a week, she moved on to the next items on her list.

Sanju and Ashok managed to purchase the mangalsutra, a saree for Sanju, and a silk dhoti and watch for Bhargav, spending a total of 20K – the entirety of Ashok's savings. This shopping trip marked the most significant and joyous expenditure of Sanju's life. Returning to the orphanage, they were filled with happiness, excitement, and contentment. The day's achievements were more than just the purchases; it was a celebration of the steps towards a new chapter in Sanju's life, one filled with hope, love, and family.

Author's Note: South Indian weddings are distinct from their North Indian counterparts in several ways. One of the initial rituals involves selecting an auspicious day to commence wedding-related activities or shopping. This day is marked by a haldi ceremony conducted at the bride's or groom's home by five married women (suhaagan), symbolizing prosperity and happiness. Following this, the bride or groom engages in a puja to pray to a Ganesh idol made of turmeric, created by these women, to seek blessings and ensure a smooth ceremony.

Furthermore, the mangalsutra in South Indian weddings is of paramount importance and signifies marital status; it is worn continuously by the wife for the duration of her husband's life. The tradition includes two pendants: one from the bride's parents, used during the Gouri puja before the wedding, and another that the groom ties during the actual wedding ceremony. The design of these pendants may vary, but they hold deep cultural significance. Here is an example of a typical Mangalya used in Karnataka weddings.

Mangalya:

Wedding ring for Bhargav that Sanju liked: