A Walk to Remember

Monday dawned with the wedding just three days away, and while Bhargav's family was immersed in joyous preparations, Bhargav himself was caught in a maelstrom of past memories and present anxieties. Each wedding detail vividly reminded him of his previously planned nuptials, reigniting the bitterness and skepticism within him. Distancing himself from the ongoing festivities, he found solace in solitude, wrestling with his thoughts and with his mentor to burn off some steam.

In the evening coffee time with his family, Bhargav expressed his desire to skip the Varpooja (the traditional engagement ceremony), pleading to proceed directly to the wedding day. His family, is not ok with the idea since they have already compromised with a family only affair for the wedding. He shares his fear and apprehension about how all this reminds him of his previous wedding and after a lot of persuasion, they finally agree understanding that if they push him anymore he might even call off the wedding.

Narasimha, relayed Bhargav's wishes to Ashok, agreed to the new plan. Meanwhile, Radha got the decorators to complete a beautiful wedding setup in their garden, a stark contrast to Bhargav's internal turmoil.

Raghav, observing his brother's appearance with messy hair, overgrown beard and I don't care attitude with distant demeanor, tried to offer words of encouragement, "You look more like a homeless guy than a groom. Anna, please snap out of this. Your bride-to-be is genuinely kind. Don't let past fears overshadow this." Bhargav's cryptic reply, "Oh Raghav, you're so naive... if only you knew," left Raghav pondering what new story was playing in his brother's head.

As the day turned into evening, Bhargav's headache was so bad, and further exacerbated by the noise of celebrations, made him seek some peace of mind and some fresh air from a walk outside. Deep in his thoughts and the terrible headache made Bhargav forget his cellphone and wallet. Hours later, still plagued by the headache, he found himself at a pharmacy, where, in his disheveled state, he got the medicine and consumed it with a bottle of juice even before realizing his lack of means to pay. Looking at his unkempt appearance, the pharmacist thought he was a person with no money and was angered and started scolding Bhargav. While Bhargav was feeling really embarassed, he felt a soothing scent of jasmine and accompanied by a sweet voice, "Anna, take this money. I will pay for his purchase." As Bhargav turned to express his gratitude, he was only able to see the back of the woman who had come to his aid. She was dressed in a half saree, identical to the one he remembered from Devarayana Durga, her long, thick braid swaying behind her. She was beside a crying and visibly distressed child, sitting on the steps near the pharmacy, her demeanor calm and nurturing as she attempted to soothe him. Bhargav wants to follow her to see her and thank her but seeing that the child is in extreme distress, he does not want to follow her and cause additional stress. So he stays rooted to the spot as he watches her. She held the young boy in her arms, navigated through the street with a blend of urgency and care. She hummed a soft melody, one she knew Arjun found comforting, as she slowly rocked him back and forth. Gradually, Arjun's cries subsided, his body relaxing against Sanju's as he began to find solace in her familiar presence and the gentle lilt of her voice.

This moment, witnessed by Bhargav from a distance, offered him a glimpse into Sanju's compassionate nature. The sight of her, calming a distressed child in the middle of a busy street, painted a picture of genuine warmth and empathy. It was a stark contrast to the image he had formed of his bride-to-be, challenging his preconceptions and stirring a newfound curiosity about the kind-hearted stranger with the long, thick braid like from a bygone era.

Intrigued and touched by the random act of kindness, Bhargav was about to leave when he saw a passport-sized photo of a couple dropped near his feet, presuming it belonged to the mysterious girl. Bhargav checked with the pharmacist if he is familiar with her but the pharmacist replied "I would remember her braid anywhere. She hasn't come here before today". Bhargav then pocketed the photo, hoping to one day return it if fate wills it, recognizing its sentimental value based on how old it looked yet how well preserved it was.

Returning home, he stored the picture in a safe, his spirits lifted slightly by the encounter, Bhargav was thankful that he found solace in the thought of the long-braided girl's generosity, kindness and care. Amidst the shadows of betrayal from his past and his doubts about his impending marriage, the memory of her kindness became a beacon of hope, reminding him that not all were like his ex-fiancee or the gold-digger he presumed his bride-to-be to be. In the kindness of a stranger, Bhargav found a momentary escape from his turmoil, a reminder that goodness still existed in unexpected places.

Sanju's POV:

After enjoying a heartfelt dinner conversation with Parimala about the upcoming wedding, Sanju turned her attention to Arjun, who had grown particularly attached to her. The recent advice from the doctor to gradually introduce Arjun to new social settings was part of a broader strategy to help him adapt to the world around him, especially with Sanju's imminent departure posing a significant change in his life.

Recognizing the importance of these evening walks for Arjun's adjustment, Sanju decided to take him out for their usual stroll around the block, despite the late hour. The streets were quieter at 10PM, making it a suitable time for such an outing without the overwhelming hustle and bustle of daytime traffic.

As they walked, Sanju's attention was drawn to a disturbance at the nearby pharmacy. Curious, she approached, only to find the pharmacist reprimanding someone for taking medicine without paying. With Arjun's well-being in mind, she had him sit quietly at her feet while she intervened, offering 100Rs to resolve the misunderstanding.

No sooner had she done so than Arjun began to show signs of distress, crying out as the tension of the moment got to him. Without hesitation, Sanju scooped him up, her soothing presence quickly calming his cries. Being aware of Arjun's sensitivities and the triggers that could lead to such distress, she held him close, whispering words of comfort and reassurance. Her voice was a gentle murmur amidst the cacophony, a soothing balm for Arjun's frayed nerves. Ensuring he felt secure and comforted in her arms, Sanju then returned to the orphanage, her mind at ease knowing she had helped alleviate the situation at the pharmacy and provided Arjun with the reassurance he needed.

Back at the orphanage, she gently settled Arjun into bed, tucking him in with the care and affection that had become second nature to her. As she stepped away from Arjun's bed, her thoughts lingered on the upcoming changes, both for herself and for the young lives she was leaving behind, how she could continue being a part of their lives even after marriage...