Bonds of Laughter and Affection - Sanjana

Sanju's life, ever since she started her internship at AI Works, had taken on a rhythm of its own. Amidst the whirlwind of her new responsibilities, she never lost sight of her most important role – caring for her grandfather, Ashok Rao. On this particular day, she accompanied him to his monthly checkup with Dr. Krishna, a renowned cardiologist. The visit brought good news; Ashok Rao's health was stable, and his heart condition seemed to be under control. Dr. Krishna encouraged him to stay active, suggesting regular walks and light exercises, but cautioned against anything too strenuous.

Excited by this advice, Sanju decided to take her grandfather for a morning walk in Lalbagh, a sprawling park near the orphanage, that weekend. The park, with its lush greenery and serene atmosphere, was the perfect place for Ashok Rao to rejuvenate. As they strolled through Lalbagh that sunny morning, Sanju and her grandfather stumbled upon an unusual sight. A group of elderly men, in their 60s and older, were gathered in a circle, laughing heartily without any apparent reason, waving their hands in the air. The scene was both amusing and bewildering to Sanju and Ashok Rao, who stopped to watch, their curiosity piqued. The infectious laughter of the group, it turned out, was part of a laughter club session. 

As the session concluded, one of the members, Dr. Narasimha, noticed Sanju and Ashok Rao. He approached them with a warm smile, introducing himself. Sanju and Ashok Rao shared their names and background, and Narasimha explained the concept of the laughter club. He spoke about the health benefits of laughter and how the club provided a space for camaraderie and joy among its members.

Sensing Ashok Rao's interest, Narasimha invited him to join the club. Ashok Rao, glancing at Sanju, saw her nodding enthusiastically. He had been longing for companionship and a sense of community in Bengaluru, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity. Narasimha then mentioned that the club members often went for coffee nearby after their morning sessions. Sanju, seeing a chance for her grandfather to socialize, encouraged him to go with them. "Go ahead, Tatha," she said, "I'll visit the Shri Ram temple and come back to pick you up." Ashok Rao, with a new spring in his step, joined the group of cheerful seniors, while Sanju made her way to the temple, her heart light and content. She felt grateful for this unexpected turn of events – her grandfather, who had been her steadfast support, was finding his own support system and joy in their new city.

On her way back from the temple, her heart brimming with updates she was eager to share. She dialed Shruthi, her best friend. The call connected, and Shruthi's voice, ever cheerful, rang through. "Hey Sanju! Finally you remembered your best friend. Huh. How's everything going? Tell me all about it!" Shruthi's excitement was palpable.

Sanju smiled, feeling a wave of affection for her friend. "Shruthi, so much has happened! First, Tatha's health is so much better now. The doctor was really happy with his progress at the last checkup." "That's amazing, Sanju!" Shruthi exclaimed. "I'm so relieved to hear that!"

"And guess what? I've started working at AI Works as an intern. It's been a month, and I'm learning so much about digital art. It's like a dream!" Shruthi's joy echoed through the phone. "OMG, Sanju! That's fantastic! That is my dream company. Have you seen the CEO of the company? He is so handsome. You're making big progress. I'm super proud of you! How did you even get in there?"

Sanju laughed, her heart light. "Thanks, Shruthi! I met Lakshmi ajji who visits the orphanage regularly. She saw my notebook and liked it. She helped me get this job. Oh, and I've been taking Tatha to Lalbagh for his morning walks. He's even joined a laughter club there and made some friends." "Look at you and Tatha, living the big city life!" Shruthi teased, her voice full of warmth.

Their conversation continued, filled with laughter and shared dreams, before Sanju glanced at the time. "I've got to go, Shruthi. There's one more call I need to make."

After bidding goodbye to Shruthi, Sanju dialed another number with a sense of deep gratitude. It was Gopi, the village chief, who had been instrumental in her journey to Bengaluru. "Namaskara, Gopi Uncle," Sanju greeted as the call connected. "Sanju, how are you, child?" Gopi's voice was kind and welcoming. "I'm well, Uncle. I just wanted to call and thank you for everything you've done for us. Because of your help, Tatha's health is improving, and I've got an amazing opportunity to work and learn." Gopi's voice softened, "Sanju, you're like a daughter to me. I'm just happy to see you both doing well. Keep working hard and take good care of your grandfather." "I will, Uncle. And we'll visit the village soon to see everyone once tatha's surgery is complete and he can travel"

The call ended with mutual good wishes, and Sanju sat for a moment, feeling a deep sense of gratitude for the support of people like Gopi and Shruthi in her life. Their encouragement and belief in her had been pillars of strength, helping her navigate this new chapter in Bengaluru. She looked up at the sky, her heart full of hope and determination for the journey ahead.

As days turned into weeks, the laughter club at Lalbagh park became a cherished routine for Ashok Rao. Every morning, Sanju would accompany her grandfather, armed with her book and art supplies. While Ashok engaged in hearty laughter with his newfound friends, Sanju would immerse herself in capturing the park's natural beauty on her canvas. Their mornings at the park were not just about laughter or art; they became a sanctuary for both Sanju and her Tatha. After her art session, she would rejoin her grandfather, and together, they would saunter back to the orphanage. Their walks were filled with lively conversations about their day, music, art, and the simple joys of life.

During this time, a special bond formed between Ashok Rao and Narasimha. Their friendship blossomed, rooted in shared experiences and wisdom. Dr. Narasimha, a man of keen observation, noted Ashok's lack of a mobile phone and learned more about their modest background. His heart warmed towards this humble and resilient pair. Sanju, with her radiant smile and boundless positivity, also grew close to Narasimha. She began bringing homemade snacks and breakfast items to share with him, each dish prepared with care and affection. Narasimha found himself looking forward to these small yet significant moments of sharing food and stories with Sanju. He admired her infectious smile, her unwavering positive attitude, and the respect and care she showed towards elders. Never once had he heard her complain about her life's circumstances, which spoke volumes about her character.

One morning, as Narasimha savored a delicious snack Sanju had brought, a thought struck him. The more he observed Sanju, the more he felt that she would be a perfect addition to his family. Her qualities of resilience, respect, and positivity were attributes he admired and wished to see in his own family. This thought lingered in his mind, growing stronger with each passing day. He envisioned Sanju as part of his family, bringing her warmth, cheer, and kindness into their lives. The idea seemed more and more like a wonderful possibility, one that he was eager to explore. The only thought that was stopping him from proceeding further was she was quite young.