Chapter 43 The Loong of the North Sea

Rakshasi spoke coldly, "If there's nothing else, I'll be leaving." Turning around, she headed for the cave's exit. Just as she was about to leave, the Bull Demon King called out, "My lady, please wait."

From within his robe, the Bull Demon King retrieved an item and handed it to Rakshasi, who felt a warm heat emanating from it. "This is the inner alchemy of the demon leopard we encountered the other day. Keep it close to warm your heart; it's beneficial for both mother and child."

A light shone in Rakshasi's heart. It seemed the dull Bull had learned to be tender. She felt a warmth grow inside her and, after advising the Bull Demon King with intimate words, reluctantly left.

The Bull Demon King watched her silhouette disappear, feeling a sense of emptiness. He had known Rakshasi for a long time, practicing cultivation together. They had never been close, as he didn't like her direct and harsh way of speaking. However, their recent entanglement was a pleasant change after decades of solitude. He thought to himself, "This affection between a man and a woman is quite interesting."

Meanwhile, a stunningly beautiful woman walked out of a cave on the opposite low hill. It was Hu Yu. The Bull Demon King, taking a closer look, realized that he had never appreciated her beauty before. "This little fox turns out to be so enchantingly beautiful."

...

The four brothers, Sun Wukong and his companions, laughed joyously along their journey. Despite Wu Zhi Qi's recent escape from captivity, his centuries of cultivation allowed him to quickly shed any mental constraints. Though physically weak and not inclined to speak much, his face always wore a smile.

Above the boundless North Sea, under a sky obscured by layers of clouds, they felt a sense of grand adventure. Wu Zhi Qi, upon seeing the sea, was overjoyed and leaped into the water from the clouds, disappearing without a trace.

Sun Wukong, puzzled, wondered if Wu Zhi Qi was alright. Tongfeng laughed, "You've forgotten that Wu Zhi Qi thrives in water. Having lived in arid lands for so long, his body has dried out. This vast sea is like a tonic to him."

Wang Yu added, "Exactly, should he become angry, the North Sea itself might turn upside down."

The three decided to explore the sea's treasures, leaving Wu Zhi Qi behind as waiting for him could take months.

Sun Wukong, using his water-repelling magic, left Tongfeng and Wang Yu far behind. The deeper he went, the heavier the sea felt, making it harder to use his magic. Wondering if treasures lay below, he switched to a water-avoidance technique, finding it consumed less energy. Despite his prowess, Sun Wukong realized he still had much to learn about these magical arts.

Eventually, he encountered a sea monster, which he easily defeated with his Stick, surprising himself at the creature's weak power.

Continuing his descent, he broke through a dark layer of water into a brightly lit seabed, revealing an imposing Loong palace built of giant stones, devoid of any decorative jewels but exuding an ancient aura.

Upon attempting to leave, not wanting to disturb whoever was meditating inside, a stone door suddenly opened behind him. Eight sea monsters emerged, led by a giant octopus wielding weapons. Recognizing none but the octopus, Sun Wukong prepared for confrontation.

The octopus attacked without a word, but Sun Wukong, finding its power lacking compared to the celestial warriors he had faced, easily repelled the attack and disappeared into the water curtain above, leaving the octopus in shock.

As Sun Wukong declared his intention to explore the so-called forbidden area further, a voice from within the palace challenged him, "That's quite the bold claim."

Sun Wukong's gaze inadvertently shifted to the stone door, from which emerged a massive Loong-like creature, calling it a Jiao might not be entirely accurate. For Loongs traditionally have two horns, while a Jiao has none. However, this creature had a single horn on its head, its body covered in shining white scales, and most peculiarly, it had five Loong claws on its belly.

Sun Wukong deduced that this Jiao must be the master of this realm. Intrigued by its unique appearance, he was eager to test his strength against it. "We won't know unless we try," he said with a laugh.

The Jiao spoke arrogantly, "Seeing how thin you are, I won't bully you." With that, it transformed into a human form, a man in white with a stern face and sharp, knife-like eyes, emitting a strange light.

Sun Wukong felt a spark of anger, knowing that mythical creatures are strongest in their original form and that transforming into a human usually meant a reduction in power. He mocked, "Don't be so arrogant. I'll have you return to your original form soon enough."

The Jiao's lips curled in disdain, his face unmasking his scorn. He had never met an opponent who could match him in the North Sea, where even the Loong King of the North Sea treated him with great respect. And now, this insignificant monkey dared to challenge him?

Pointing at Sun Wukong, the Jiao warned, "Let's take our fight above, so as not to damage my dwelling."

Sun Wukong, however, had no intention of listening. Battling a Jiao that grew up in the deep sea would be asking for trouble. He laughed heartily, "Worried about your shabby home? That's truly laughable!"

The Jiao, proud and solitary by nature, refused to engage in a war of words with Sun Wukong. Instead, he drew a silver whip from his waist and lashed out at Sun Wukong, while the eight sea monsters, fearing the power of their combat, hid themselves away to avoid collateral damage.

The "Equal to Heaven Stick Technique" mentions that when facing flexible weapons, one should aim for the head, not the waist. Weapons like meteor hammers or nine-section whips, if blocked in the middle, would still maintain their momentum at the head, potentially causing injury to oneself.

Sun Wukong, fearless and skilled, closed the distance to the Jiao, making the whip ineffective in close combat, a tactic in step fighting.

As Sun Wukong approached, the Jiao struck with his left fist, radiating a silver light like a shooting star. Sun Wukong welcomed the challenge with his own left fist.

The collision of their fists produced a thunderous sound, forcing both combatants to retreat dozens of feet.

The Jiao was slightly surprised, exclaiming, "You monkey, you indeed have great strength!"

Sun Wukong responded, "The same to you." His arm ached from the punch, thinking to himself that not even the Loong Kings of the four seas were as arrogant and overbearing as this Jiao. What was the origin of this Loong, and why was it so domineering?

The battle continued until Sun Wukong, losing his patience, used his shape-shifting ability to grow over thirty feet tall. He swung his Stick, caring little for the Jiao's dwelling, and demolished it.

Seeing his palace partially destroyed, the Jiao, far from angry, laughed heartily. "Very well, if that's how it is, let's not bother with it at all." He swung his silver whip three times, striking the water canopy above.

Sun Wukong, sensing something amiss, looked up in alarm and exclaimed, "So, this is what it looks like when the sky falls."

Annotations:

Inner Alchemy: A concept from Daoism referring to spiritual and physical practices aimed at improving health and attaining immortality.

Loong Palace: A common element in Chinese mythology, often depicted as the underwater residence of Loong kings, symbolizing the opulence and mystery of the underwater world.