Chapter 42 Unspeakable Thoughts Bloom

Upon reaching the Zen temple's entrance, Wukong and Tongfeng took a large detour around to the back mountain. The back mountain was deserted, and there, Wukong found the bottomless abyss, signaling to Tongfeng that this was the place. Eager, Tongfeng dived in without hesitation, while Wukong paused for a moment. By then, the chaos at the front mountain's Zen temple had escalated into a cacophony of shouts and rebukes, likely due to Wang Yu employing his tactics.

Only then did Wukong descend into the abyss for the second time. Despite being termed "bottomless," it was actually hundreds of meters deep. Wukong gently landed and saw Wuzhiqi staring at Tongfeng with tear-filled eyes that couldn't shed a single tear, unknowingly depleted of all moisture within.

Tongfeng, already in tears, stared silently at Wuzhiqi, conveying more in silence than words ever could. Wukong sighed, "On a day meant for joy, why the tears?"

Wuzhiqi, with a trembling voice, replied, "Don't bother, these chains cannot be unlocked. Just seeing you is a blessing from the heavens."

Tongfeng angrily retorted, "What heavens? If the heavens are unjust, I'll pierce a hole through them! If the earth is unfair, I'll dig up its roots!" Wukong stopped Tongfeng, suggesting, "Let's not delay and unlock these first."

Following the methods from the "Great Equal of Heaven Stick Technique" to smelt the Ruyi Iron, Wukong conjured true fire in his hands, slowly refining with two types of true fire. Wuzhiqi, thriving in water but fearing fire, saw his skin blister yet revealed a look of joy as the chains turned red-hot. Wukong adjusted his technique, adding another type of true fire, and alternated the flame's intensity. After several hours, the chains gradually thinned.

Wukong, never having tried this method before, was overjoyed at its success. By the third day, the chains had halved in thickness, and he continued his focused efforts, unaware that Tongfeng had been gone for some time.

On the fourth day, he heard a voice behind him, the angry rebukes of the Great Sage National Teacher, Wang Bodhisattva, "Who dares disturb my peaceful cultivation?" Wukong tensed, realizing Wang Yu's strategy had been discovered. He was uncertain of the Bodhisattva's capabilities, feeling uneasy. Wuzhiqi also showed a sad expression, having endured years of torment from the Bodhisattva, filled with both fear and deep hatred.

Tongfeng's voice then reassured Wukong, "Ignore him. I've set up several formations here, no matter how powerful he is, he can't get in." Tongfeng's confidence made Wukong wonder about his mentorship.

The Great Sage National Teacher, unable to enter the cave, realized someone was attempting to rescue Wuzhiqi. Despite numerous attempts, he couldn't break the formation, cursing loudly in a mix of foul language and Zen mastery, a peculiar yet ugly tirade.

Tongfeng advised, "He's trying to disturb your mind, pay him no mind."

Wukong, with his array of transformations, remained undisturbed, focusing solely on refining the chain, which now thinned to the size of chopsticks.

Suddenly, the Bodhisattva ceased his ranting, turning to chant Buddhist scriptures instead. Wukong, not understanding a word, paid no heed.

Tongfeng, after listening for a while, looked worried but remained silent upon seeing Wukong's dedication. As the chain became as thin as a hair, still unbreakable, Wukong repeated the refinement process without success.

Tongfeng then hurriedly left, saying, "Wait for my return!" Shortly after, a painful cry from the Bodhisattva signaled his defeat, and the chanting stopped. Tongfeng reappeared, hands covered in blood, which he dripped on the chain, breaking it instantly. He quickly removed the chain from Wuzhiqi, causing immense pain but also relief.

Once free, Tongfeng urged, "Quickly, let's go!" They ascended from the abyss, and after traveling a great distance, Tongfeng explained that the Bodhisattva was chanting a powerful scripture that could have tracked them anywhere. Wukong was thrilled at their escape and success.

Tongfeng, feeling remorseful for focusing solely on the chain and forgetting to collect the Bodhisattva's essence, credited their escape to the formation he had set up, which trapped the Bodhisattva, saving them from further effort.

Wukong had an epiphany and felt a chill thinking back. Had the Great Sage National Teacher, Wang Bodhisattva, not been in the Zen temple, this rescue mission might have been in vain, making any future attempts to save Wuzhiqi exceedingly difficult.

After being trapped for tens of thousands of years, Wuzhiqi was finally free. He, Wukong, and Tongfeng shared an unspoken understanding, and thanks were naturally unnecessary. However, years without water had left Wuzhiqi weak and frail, almost faltering in the high winds atop the clouds.

Wukong asked with concern, "Is everything alright?"

Wuzhiqi smiled, "Now that I'm free, there are no problems."

Tongfeng suggested, "The waters of the North Sea are the purest in the world. How about we brothers go and have some fun there?"

Wuzhiqi, thrilled, agreed, "That is also my wish."

Suddenly, another auspicious cloud caught up with them, and it was none other than Wang Yu, the Yu Monarch King. Wuzhiqi was shocked, as if he couldn't believe his eyes. Tongfeng nodded slightly, reminding him, "The divine ape that commands gods and fears no Buddha—have you forgotten?"

Wuzhiqi shook his head, "How could I forget? It's just that the Seven Sacred Apes were scattered, and to see four brothers reunite today feels like a dream."

Wukong laughed, "What's so strange about that? Don't rush; if you miss them that much, I'll gather us all in a few days."

Seeing Wukong's carefree demeanor, the others thought to themselves that this spirit monkey truly had great fate. With his birth, the Seven Sacred Apes showed signs of revival. Could it be that the future of their race depended on him?

Inspired by Wukong's bold spirit, they roared together and soared through the sky, heading straight for the North Sea.

...

In the Flower Fruit Mountain, a fierce battle that had taken place a month ago was now forgotten, replaced by a completely transformed scene. Armies were neatly organized from top to bottom, everyone ready for battle. The Bull Demon King, after inspecting the disciplined and orderly training of the various generals and demon kings, returned to his cave, where his wife, the Rakshasa Woman, greeted him with joy yet seemed insincere.

The Bull Demon King asked, "What happy news do you have?"

The Rakshasa Woman shyly responded, "I... am with child."

Shocked, the Bull Demon King exclaimed, "Ah!" He had been exuberant that night after a victorious battle against a heavenly general, not expecting such an outcome.

Seeing the Bull Demon King speechless, the Rakshasa Woman chided, "Silly ox, aren't you happy?"

The Bull Demon King burst into laughter, "A joyous surprise, I'm so happy I'm speechless."

The Rakshasa Woman's expression turned sorrowful, "But, I must leave."

Puzzled, the Bull Demon King asked, "Where to?"

She glared at him, "Have you forgotten what master said? Once I'm pregnant, I must return to the Tusita Palace to live, for the benefit of our child."

The Bull Demon King, as if awakening from a dream, scratched his head, "I've been so focused on cultivation that I forgot."

The Rakshasa Woman requested, "Then give me the Banana Leaf Fan for protection on my journey."

The Bull Demon King handed her the fan, saying, "With you pregnant, I should accompany you back."

She declined, "Sun Uncle entrusted Flower Fruit Mountain to you. You better take good care of it and avoid any mistakes."

The Bull Demon King nodded silently. Seeing his dumbfounded look, the Rakshasa Woman felt an indescribable frustration. With their parting imminent, a day in the heavens equates to a year on Earth. Could it be he didn't care for her at all?

Annotations:

Ruyi Iron and True Fire: Elements of Taoist alchemy and mythology, indicating the use of magical or supernatural methods for transformation and refinement.