Chapter 14 The Great Dao Achieved

In the grand hall of the Three Star Cave, the Patriarch Subhuti sat motionless like a statue, his whisk occasionally fluttering in the breeze from the door, enhancing his aura of transcendence and profound enlightenment.

Huineng hurried in from outside, followed by a group of young Daoist disciples with varied expressions—some anxious, some bewildered, and some seemingly taking delight in the misfortune of others.

The disciples knew well that Patriarch Subhuti was strict in discipline, advocating against anger and irritation. Seeing Huineng's demeanor, they anticipated his punishment.

Indeed, as Patriarch Subhuti's slightly lowered eyes opened, a chill seemed to pass before them, instilling a cold fear that brought everyone to their knees.

"What causes such panic?" Patriarch Subhuti asked calmly.

Huineng replied, "Please forgive me, Master. The matter is quite peculiar, and I hurried to report to you, thus my rushed steps."

"All forms are illusory; it is your mind that panics," the Patriarch pointed out.

Huineng agreed repeatedly. Subhuti then gave him a meaningful look and said, "Follow me to the back hall." He then turned and exited through the rear door, with Huineng quickly following.

In the back hall, Huineng repeated what Wukong had shared about his dream in the backyard. After listening, the Patriarch remained silent for a moment, then asked how many had heard this story before dismissing Huineng with a wave of his hand.

The idea of a Buddha with a body of gold intrigued Subhuti. Could it really be the Buddha of the current era, the supreme Tathagata, concerned with the stone monkey? Knowledge of the stone monkey was scarce, shared only among a few like the Jade Emperor and Emperor Zhenwu. Could it be that the Great Sage, the National Teacher Bodhisattva, had leaked the news? A flicker of sharp light passed through Subhuti's slightly closed eyelids.

If so, there was no time to waste. He had intended to temper the stone monkey's wild nature to prevent him from acting rashly and ruining greater plans. But the monkey's early display of intelligence exceeded his expectations. "Plans are made by the Buddhas, but success is determined by the heavens. Let's see how things unfold."

"Someone!" called out Subhuti. A Daoist disciple appeared as if from nowhere, bowing deeply. "Bring the stone monkey to me," ordered Subhuti, taking a deep breath.

At this time, the stone monkey was pondering in the courtyard. He had resorted to this strategy out of necessity, unsure of Subhuti's temperament despite knowing he was destined to become his disciple and learn his martial arts. But how long he would have to wait for the transmission of power was uncertain. If it was as written, waiting seven years would be unbearable.

By creating a mystery and involving a dream visitor resembling Tathagata, he ensured the matter would reach Subhuti. If Subhuti was determined to take him as a disciple, he would not allow interference. Hearing of Tathagata's interest, Subhuti would surely have doubts, leading most likely to an early transmission of magical powers to establish their master-disciple bond. Once the bond was formed, given the stone monkey's straightforward nature, he would unlikely betray it.

The stone monkey knew his role in the journey to the west was but a pawn. Who held the piece was not for him to decide. Only by going with the flow and gradually increasing his strength could he hope to uncover the truth behind the veil of divinity and seek the ultimate truth.

"Patriarch Subhuti, what divine being are you?" he wondered, lost in thought, when a Daoist disciple entered and called, "Brother Wukong, Master summons you." Wukong nodded and followed.