Chapter 4 Seek Immortality

Even amidst the idyllic days on Flower-Fruit Mountain, the Stone Monkey's heart was not at peace. He realized that the three teachings he had heard upon first entering the Water Curtain Cave had somehow imprinted themselves in his memory. Though not dull-witted, he had never possessed such an unfailing memory before. Could it be that his talents had transformed upon arriving in this world, or was it the work of the divine powers of the sage who had imparted these teachings? The Stone Monkey often associated this sage with the revered Subhuti, who, within the entirety of "Journey to the West," bestowed the greatest benefits upon Sun Wukong. But why would he do so?

A year swiftly passed, and the day the Stone Monkey had long pondered finally arrived. That day, as he sat meditatively on a stone platform, gazing at the fruit wine before him, several young monkeys rushed in, panic-stricken, reporting, "Your Majesty, an old monkey has suddenly died. We know not the cause!"

After a moment of contemplation, the Stone Monkey commanded, "Summon the ministers to the hall." For better governance, he had organized the thousand-plus monkeys into three ranks. Aside from himself, four red-bottomed, long-armed elder monkeys were appointed as deputy cave masters, overseeing food and miscellaneous duties, with over a dozen other monkeys of high repute assigned various roles.

As the monkeys gathered inside the cave, the Stone Monkey instructed the young ones to prepare a feast, though the atmosphere was somewhat solemn, the monarch's countenance clouded with unspoken thoughts. After three rounds of drinks, the Stone Monkey's eyes suddenly brimmed with tears—a display of emotion, though feigned, as befitting his past life as an actor.

A red-bottomed macaque stood up and inquired, "What troubles you, Your Majesty?"

The Stone Monkey responded, "Today, our kind has diminished by one more. Reflecting upon our own eventual fate, trapped in the cycle of rebirth, how many days of joy do we have left?"

A long-armed monkey approached, saying, "Your Majesty is of divine origin; why fear such ends? It is we, the common kind, who cannot escape the fate of life and death."

Though the long-armed monkey stood respectfully, a glint of joy in his eyes did not escape the Stone Monkey's notice, leading him to harbor doubts. Yet, he replied, "I myself am not afraid, but it pains me to see you suffer."

Disappointed but quick-witted, the monkey responded, "If Your Majesty truly cares for us, it would be the greatest joy for our kind!"

"And where does this joy come from?" asked the Stone Monkey.

"Your Majesty, do you not know? In this world, three beings—saints, immortals, and Buddhas—are beyond the reach of the King of Hell. If one could learn magical abilities from a great master, it would be possible to escape the cycle of rebirth and achieve eternal life."

Feigning surprise, the Stone Monkey asked, "Is that so? And where might these beings reside?"

With concealed delight, the monkey shared, "They dwell in ancient caves and immortal mountains across the four great continents, where traces of immortals can be found."

The Stone Monkey, slamming his hand on the armrest, exclaimed, "Excellent! Tomorrow, I shall venture forth to seek such immortality, to teach you all how to escape the cycle of rebirth and enjoy eternal happiness."

Overjoyed, the long-armed monkey applauded, "Tomorrow, we shall prepare a grand feast, gathering exquisite fruits to bid farewell to Your Majesty!"

The Stone Monkey was well aware of the long-armed monkey's true intentions, suspecting he wished for the Stone Monkey's permanent departure to claim leadership himself. Yet, the Stone Monkey thought, limited by his own scheming and understanding, how could he comprehend the rules of this world?