Chapter Forty-One

Beatrice fell to her knees as soon as she arrived. She breathed shakily, feeling her chest tighten, and her eyes watered.

I should not have left him there. No, I truly shouldn't have! He cannot overtake all of them. No one can! Not without magic. I need to go back. I need—

"Beatrice!" Jeanette gasped, rushing down the stairs. "What has happened? Is everyone alright?"

Beatrice stood. "N-no... nothing is... alright." She looked away and blinked hard. Not now. Then she took a deep breath and faced Jeanette again. "I am struggling to use my magic, and everyone still needs me. Ashton... I need to go to Ash—Ah!"

Beatrice clutched her head. It throbbed at the mere idea of teleporting.

"Do not strain yourself, dear," Jeanette urged. "You will be unable to assist anyone if you are in pain."

Beatrice groaned. "But we do not have time, Jeanette!" She gasped for air and turned around, bringing her hands up to her mouth. "I am sorry." She lowered her hands. "I need to save Ashton."

"Where is he?"

"He, he is in the middle of something terrible, Jeanette. He needs me." Beatrice closed her eyes and leaned against the wall. "I need to be with him." She slid to the floor. "I am... so tired." A moment later, she felt Jeanette brushing her hair behind her ear.

"Rest, Beatrice," Jeanette whispered. "Rest so you can save them all."

Beatrice tried to speak, yet the words fell from her lips.

And then she felt a shooting pain in her chest. She cried out and gasped, opening her eyes.

"Beatrice, what's wrong?" Jeanette asked, gently grabbing her arms.

"Ashton!" Beatrice screamed.

---

Ashton's pulse was weakening. His body glowed with his magic, attempting to heal his wound. It was enough to keep him alive a little longer, yet its light dimmed around his heart—the only part of him he could not heal. Nothing could heal a wounded heart.

"Any moment now, you'll stop breathing entirely," Julian said as he hovered over Ashton and yanked out his blade. He looked him up and down then sighed. "I'm terribly sorry, because I won't be honoring your dying wish." He placed his hands over Ashton's heart and smirked.

Beatrice...

Julian groaned, setting aside his sword. He was suddenly so relieved he'd sent the men away to leave him here alone.

"I gain nothing from helping her. This way, I can have power. I'll have everything I've ever wanted." He closed his eyes, and he could see Beatrice's.

He could see the first time he saw her. She'd been astonished by the sight of him running through her castle with her mother's jewels. He could see her beneath the palm trees on the beach of Solis, wearing ridiculous gowns during their training sessions. That'd always made him insane, and she knew it. But it never mattered to her. And he supposed he couldn't complain too much. She always looked so gorgeous.

Julian frowned and opened his eyes. Ashton's magic was still trying. It would soon quit, and Ashton would be gone.

"What are you doing?" Caldwell growled. "You are going to miss this opportunity! Say it!"

Julian didn't look at Caldwell. He simply nodded and closed his eyes again. Focus... focus.

"Omnipitis mi, acepeti thais donum." Julian peeked over his shoulder when he heard Caldwell exhale in relief. His face began to heal, and skin grew over his exposed jaw. It's working... Julian's heart raced, and he continued. "Sacrificium—" He was tackled from the side and landed with a grunt.

Beatrice pinned him down, snarling at him. "You are not taking him from me!"

Julian gawked up at her. "I already did."

The creases between her brows faded, and her breath hitched in her throat. She quickly released him and crawled over to Ashton.

"No... NO!" A line of fire spread out in front of them, rising higher and higher as she screamed.

"Julian, hurry! Finish!" Caldwell flung her out of the way.

"Beatrice!" Julian ran past Ashton and slid onto his knees beside Beatrice. He reached for her. "Beatrice—"

"Don't touch me!" she warned, the fiery in her eyes returning—burning brighter than before. Her irises nearly looked as red as the flames she created. "Don't you ever touch me!"

Caldwell cursed Julian's name. "He's gone! It is too late!"

Julian checked behind him. The glow of Ashton's body had diminished.

"Ash?" Beatrice sat up. "Ashton!"

"Worthless!" Caldwell hissed, pointing at Julian. "I have waited years for this moment, and you've ruined it."

"Your face was healed," Julian said. "I'd say you won enough." He snickered to himself and shook his head. "I did everything you asked—without any hesitation—since I was twelve years old." Slowly, he stood and turned to Caldwell. "I'm the reason you even got this far. And you want to call me worthless?"

"It was all for this moment, Julian." Caldwell sneered at him. "Everything you did means nothing now."

Julian chuckled and snatched his sword off the ground. It was still covered in Ashton's blood, and he did his best to ignore the way Beatrice horrifically stared at him.

"Unfortunately for you, everything I know is because of you." Julian twirled his sword and smirked. "I know your strengths, and I know your weaknesses. I'll show you never to call me worthless. You're in the human world, Caldwell. You're only an imitation. Show a little respect."

Beatrice dragged Ashton out of the way and stood, taking his rapier with her. Although Julian saw more tears rolling down her cheeks, her eyes darkened, and she curled her fingers into her palms.

"Well, look at that," Julian said. "I have the savior on my side now."

"I intend to kill you next," Beatrice responded. "In the meantime, I'll use you to weaken him."

Julian forced a laugh, except he felt his stomach twist, and then he swallowed hard.

Caldwell spread out his arms and took a few steps back. "Unlike the two of you, I do not hesitate on what I will do—" He narrowly missed the shot of light striking toward him.

Julian looked over at Beatrice who glowered at Caldwell.

"Neither do I," she said through gritted teeth. "I'm through with this. I am going to kill you right here and right now. I am going to rip you apart—piece by piece." Her tone sent chills down Julian's spine. He'd never heard her sound like that. He never imagined she could ever sound like that.

He bit down on his tongue. "Just so we're clear, this doesn't mean I'm on your side either."

"Absolutely not. You would not have taken him from me if you were." Beatrice held the sword in front of her and exhaled slowly. Julian froze as the blade brightened and glowed with her magic. "I will take everything from you, Julian." Then she ran forward at Caldwell.

"Not if I take everything from you first," Julian murmured before jumping in with her.

What a damned liar he was.