Chapter Thirty-Seven

Everyone gathered around with their weapons and settled into their positions, staring in the direction Franco had come from. They all had faces full of anger and frustration, almost unnervingly still and focused.

Ashton met Beatrice in the middle of the field. She looked over Luc's sword, trailing her forefinger down the flat side. Her lips were puckered, and she hummed softly to herself.

"I've been meaning to tell you something," he said.

Beatrice raised her gaze to his. "What is it?"

"While you were under whatever spell they put on you, you were able to use your magic with your weapons. I suggest you try to do that again."

"I do not even remember doing that," she said, raising her eyebrows. "How could I manage to do it again?"

Ashton smiled. "Believe in yourself, Bee. It's within your ability."

"Believe in myself..." Beatrice took a deep breath and stared ahead, bringing the sword forward. "How long do you think we will be waiting here?"

"Not much longer," Richard answered as he jogged over to them.

"What did you see?" Ashton asked him.

"A large group of them marching our way. We should see them any moment now."

Ashton noticed Ailith perk up, and he smiled when she ran over to them. She glanced at him then at Richard.

"Will this be it?" she asked. "Do you think we can end this once and for all right here?"

"Yes, we can," Ashton answered.

Much to his surprise, Ailith frowned and shook her head. She pointed at Franco who remained slumped against a tree.

"We might lose more soldiers," she whispered.

Franco winced whenever he attempted to raise a limb. He'd lost his last bit of energy and urged everyone to forget him—leave him be and focus on the fight. Beatrice had said nothing about it or to him. As much as Ashton didn't want to care, he couldn't just leave Franco like that.

"He will be fine," Ashton promised. "Everyone will be. Should they suffer with wounds..." He sighed and closed his eyes. "They will be fine."

"I appreciate your enthusiasm, Ash, but without a physician, we are risking it all."

"We won't need a doctor." He could see Richard's eyes widen from his peripheral. "We have me."

Ailith scratched her head and flinched when Beatrice whirled around.

"Are you saying what I think you are saying?" Beatrice questioned him.

"I am," Ashton said.

"Would someone care to explain what is happening?" Ailith asked, raising her hands.

"Yes." He brought his forefinger and thumb up to his lips and whistled, gathering everyone's attention. Once he was certain they were all staring, he stepped back from the trio and gestured to the crowd. "I have a confession to make—something I should have mentioned long ago. I know we are all afraid right now and worried about what could happen to each other." His pulse quickened, and he took a few breaths to steady it.

After all, what did he have to fear anymore?

His secret belonged to them as well.

And he sighed. Be a healer.

"I can heal," he uttered. "I've been able to heal since I was a child." Murmurs ignited from the crowd, and Ailith gawked at him. "I'd been so used to keeping this to myself that I never imagined saying this so confidently out loud."