Chapter Thirty-Eight

Beatrice grunted as Julian pinned her down. He held her arms above her head, and she squirmed beneath him.

"You were unwise coming here," he growled, leaning into her. "I'm surprised. I thought better of you."

Beatrice glanced up at his hands—his fingers—wrapped around her wrists. She narrowed her eyes at them and smirked. Julian immediately released her and pulled away, cursing under his breath. Beatrice rolled onto her front and hurried to her feet.

Caldwell chuckled, and she sneered at him.

"How easily you could kill him," he said, shaking his head. "Yet you only leave him with a few minor burns."

Beatrice huffed and glanced down at Julian who cradled his hands against his chest. She eyed Ashton's sword lying nearby. "You are certainly right about that. I can have one less obstacle in my way." She walked toward him, and he gaped at her.

"Beatrice, wait," he pleaded.

"The day you attacked my castle with that beast is the day everything was ruined for me, Julian. You could've—you should've stayed away. Now my dearest friend is dead. And, for some reason, you are still alive instead?"

Julian blinked. "I didn't want her to die. That isn't my fault."

"It's all your fault!" Beatrice snatched Ashton's sword off the ground and pointed it at Julian. "I am exhausted of you."

"And I am exhausted of this conversation," a different voice said.

Beatrice gasped and turned around as Lord Winslow entered, followed closely by three guards. She gripped the hilt tighter and held it out in front of her.

Believe in yourself, Bee, Ashton's words echoed in her head.

She swallowed hard.

"My, my," Lord Winslow said as he drew closer to Beatrice. "I never imagined I'd be in the presence of such disappointing royalty."

"Oh, I will assure you, the disgust is mutual."

Julian fled past them and stopped beside Caldwell. Beatrice groaned, lowering Ashton's sword, and standing upright.

"While we take care of my dear Ashton, I will allow the two of you to get to know each other better," Caldwell said.

Beatrice stiffened and looked at Lord Winslow who grinned menacingly at her. The mere sight of that smile made her grimace. Before she could ask or say anything, Caldwell teleported her away. She, Lord Winslow, and his guards appeared in front of his manor where a larger group of guards pointed their spears at her.

"I know you will try to run," Lord Winslow said, taking a step toward her. "Though I hope you will stay and fight me like a true ruler."

Beatrice glanced down at Ashton's rapier, feeling her chest tighten. Caldwell wanted him and would find him. She didn't doubt Ashton could handle himself, but she refused not to see him. So, she lifted her shoulders and then lowered them slowly.

"Oh, I would want nothing more than to show you how strong I truly am," she started. "However, I have somewhere else to be. Do not worry, though. We will have at it soon." She winked at him before closing her eyes and thinking of Ashton. She heard Lord Winslow's guards running to her, and she smirked as she left before they reached her.

Beatrice gasped when she landed on the ground.

"Bee?" Ashton uttered, breathlessly.

Her heart leaped, and she looked up. Ashton leaned against the well, clutching his chest and catching his breath. Beatrice stood, smiling as she approached him.