Chapter Thirty-Four

"What happened?" Richard asked, capturing Beatrice's attention. "Why are you both refusing to explain to me what an angel is?"

"We can explain once we leave." Ashton took hold of Richard's arm and reached for Beatrice's hand.

"Leaving so soon?" Julian asked.

Ashton and Richard whirled around.

Beatrice growled under her breath and pushed past Ashton. "You!"

Julian arched an eyebrow. "Oh, right. Listen, I do apologize for snatching you from your bedchamber and using you to fight Ashton. It was nothing against you, beautiful. I just needed him to come here."

"Do not stand there and pretend you do not know what I am truly angry about!" Beatrice brought up her light magic and snarled at him.

"I haven't done anything else—"

Her chest tightened, and though it hurt to breathe, she inhaled sharply. "You are the reason Maribel is dead!"

Ashton gawked at her. "What?"

"Maribel?" Richard gasped, the color draining from his face. "No... not that... that can't be."

"No..." Julian peered over his shoulder and pointed at the manor. "She is still... what do you mean?"

"I am going to kill you," Beatrice growled as she stomped toward him. "I am going to rip your heart out and—" Ashton threw his arms around her middle and pulled her back. "Ashton! Let me go! Let me do this! I have to!" She screamed and squirmed in his grasp, and flames suddenly engulfed the trees.

Ashton held on tighter. Beatrice quit fighting and started to lower herself to her knees, but he picked her up. And she felt her shoulders shake as she whimpered.

"I hate you!" she shouted at Julian.

"I didn't kill her," Julian said. "I never intended to kill her. Beatrice, believe me. I know what she meant to you."

Caldwell then emerged from the manor, grinning as he stood behind Julian. "Ah, you are still here, Ashton?"

Julian flinched and looked back at him.

"I have Her Majesty in my presence as well?" Caldwell laughed to himself.

"You killed Maribel?" Julian asked.

"Indeed, I did. I knew you were not going to, so I took matters into my own hands. That little girl truly believed she could trick us all into believing her loyalty."

Beatrice screamed again, yet she couldn't find her strength to escape Ashton's grasp.

"I was going to let her go," Julian said.

"As if that matters!" Beatrice choked out. "You brought her here! You trapped her!"

"Enough with this," Caldwell grumbled as he snapped his fingers, dissipating the fires. "You will not succeed with anything in life if you allow your emotions to win." He narrowed his eyes, and the corners of his mouth rose. "You of all people understand that, Beatrice."

Caldwell began walking toward them, his smile widening. "Human emotions are damaging. When I first decided to be reborn as a human, you see, I also allowed my emotions to get the better of me. Once I remembered who I was—who I truly was—I didn't feel anything. It is much more freeing, too. I admired you before, Your Majesty, because you also only did as you please and never shed a tear. Now look at you—you're weak."

Beatrice swallowed hard and sniffled. That had been me... carefree and reckless. But I never cried... I never allowed myself to break... I was brave.

"Do yourself a favor and wipe your face dry, Caldwell added. "Perhaps then you will have a better chance against me." Then he teleported out of there.

Ashton finally released his grip on Beatrice, and she pulled free. But she faced him, glowering.

"Do not do that," she warned.

"Bee—"

"You are of no help if you stop me from doing what I'm meant to do!"

Ashton furrowed his brows. "What I'm meant to do is protect you. So, I protected you from going at them without a plan."

"I did have a plan." Beatrice glanced down at her palm. "It could've worked."

"Beatrice, that man only snaps his fingers and stops your magic," Richard said.

Her skin felt warmer, and she huffed. "As if I cannot do the same." She raised her hand and snapped her fingers. Then she turned around.

Julian cursed as he shook his leg. The right bottom of his trousers was set aflame. He used his purple cloth to smack the flames until he stopped them. Then he gaped at Beatrice, and she smirked.

"Maribel's blood is still very much on your hands, Julian," she said. "I made a promise to her and myself, years ago, that my mission is to kill you. I intend to fulfil that promise for us." She marched toward him, and he chuckled.

"Best of luck!" Julian threw down a smoke bomb.

Beatrice shielded her face and waited until most of the air had cleared before lowering her arms. Of course, he was gone.

"Running away like the little coward he is," she said. "That's fine. I might enjoy this little game." She unsheathed Luc's sword from her back and examined it in front of her. "I briefly remember when I was trying to attack you, Ashton. I remember seeing a sword with flames dancing along the blade." She closed her eyes, searching her memory for the scene. It only came back in pieces, but she saw fire shooting toward Ashton.

"Yes," Ashton answered. "It seemed like you combined your magic with the sword."

Beatrice blinked open her eyes and grinned as she held the sword out in front of her. "Now that I'm conscious, I am certain I can do it better." She focused on it, squinting hard, and her heart leaped forward when her fire wrapped itself around the blade.

"If I can do this with a sword, imagine what else I can do?" Beatrice turned to Ashton and Richard. "Caldwell wants a fight, and I shall give him one. Unfortunately for him, it will be his last. He claims an angel is stronger than a human, and that may be true, but he is more human than anything now. I am going to remind him of that."

She waved her sword carefully, and the flames disappeared. She sheathed it back into its holster and walked up to Ashton and Richard. She held out her hands to them. Though Richard's face was dangerously pale, he accepted. Ashton did as well.

"Our group is waiting for us by that village with the well," she explained. "I told them I would meet with them there immediately after discovering whether the two of you were here or not."

"What are... we going to do?" Richard asked. Even his lips lacked color. Beatrice nearly pouted at him as she let go of Ashton's hand to caress his cheek. Richard widened his eyes.

"Together, we are going to kill every single person who defies us," she said, withdrawing her hand and clutching Ashton's. "Now relax, Richard. I'm taking us to the people we trust." She nodded at Ashton. "That includes Ailith."

Ashton lifted his brows and looked away. Nonetheless, Beatrice smiled and closed her eyes again as she teleported them.