Chapter Eighteen

Beatrice touched Ashton's forehead with the back of her hand and exhaled in relief. She never knew he could even develop a fever. Richard believed it was his magic working too hard. She supposed that made sense, but Ashton's skin burned.

"May... Mayra," Ashton murmured.

Beatrice blinked. "Ash?"

"Mayra," he repeated, furrowing his brows.

"Oh..." She withdrew her hand and stood. "Ailith, he is waking up." When no response came, Beatrice glanced over her shoulder.

Ailith was peacefully sleeping in a chair beside the window. She had her head rested on her fist and her hair falling over her face. Despite the different hair color, the similarities between her and her brother were quite evident like this.

Beatrice smiled. "Ailith."

Ailith jumped in her seat and blinked various times. Then she sat up straighter, widening her eyes. "Your Majesty!"

"Ailith?" Ashton whispered.

Beatrice turned back to him and gasped when he looked up at her. "You had us all worried, Ashton. It's been a whole day."

Ailith rushed over and leaped onto the bed. Beatrice bit back the urge to tell her to be careful, especially when she noticed the smile lighting up Ashton's face. Ailith next to his legs, facing him.

"How do you feel?" she asked him. "Richard told me everything. He believes he removed every piece of that arrowhead and stitched you up before you lost too much blood. I was fearful you wouldn't make it, though."

"I wouldn't allow myself to die," he said. "I have so many people to live for."

Beatrice frowned. Am I one of them?

"I am sorry you're without a shirt," said Ailith. "You had a terrible fever this morning. We took off most of your clothing to used wet towels to help."

"A... fever?" Ashton side-eyed Beatrice.

"You seem to be better now." Ailith checked his forehead as Beatrice had, and she nodded. "You are!" She then touched the fabric Richard had used to conceal Ashton's wounds as they healed. "This should hopefully be better soon, too. I hope you're not in too much pain."

Ashton winced. "I should manage." He smiled reassuringly at her.

"Well, I just had a thought. You haven't eaten in too long. I will bring you something nice and warm." Ailith leaned forward and kissed Ashton's head. Then she jumped off the bed and excused herself as she ran to the door.

Once alone, Beatrice faced Ashton. He stared hard at her. She could almost see the many questions rushing through his mind.

"Where am I?" He gazed around.

"In your old room," Beatrice said, gesturing to their surroundings. "The Queen's Guard room. We would have taken you to the manor, but that would have raised too many questions about your whereabouts."

Ashton breathed out a weak laugh. "It's exactly as I remember it."

"No one has used it since." She then smirked. "Does it truly hurt?"

"No, it doesn't." He looked down at the cloth covering his shoulder. "I've healed."

Beatrice found herself eyeing his chest instead, and all the curves and dips of his torso. His skin looked so smooth, too. He was likely so firm and sturdy from many years of training. She sucked in her lower lip and mindlessly chewed on it until she heard his voice again.

"Pardon?" she asked, tearing her gaze away.

Ashton smiled faintly. "Would it be awful if I took a few days to visit my mother and sisters?"