Chapter 9

Elinor and Aemond made their way back to her chambers, Alicent following after them, still shaken from what she had done.

Aemond's eye hurt like hell, but he wouldn't tell his mother nor Elinor. Eli was the one to open her door and guided Aemond to her unmade bed.

Alicent sat on a nearby chair as she watched Elinor fill a bowl with water and grabbing a cloth. Eli took the, now wet, cloth and begun wiping away the blood from Aemond's face.

Aemond looked at Elinor with a looked that screamed, "I will never let anyone hurt you" and Alicent saw that.

Perhaps betrothing them isn't such a bad idea after all. It would keep Larys far away from Elinor.

Alicent sighed and stood up, "Aemond, Elinor. I have something to tell you" Alicent said trying to find the words, "What is it?"

Elinor dropped the cloth into the bowl and looked at the queen with doe eyes, "You are to be married, to each other" Elinor's face fell but Aemond had a smile of his face.

"What?" Eli asked, "It would keep Larys far from you and you two get along so well, it will be great."

"I think it is a good idea mother" Aemond said and reached for Elinor's hand, Alicent smile at the pair, "I have to go now."

After Alicent turned and left Eli turned back to Aemond, his hand still holding hers, as she continued to wipe away the blood.

"Elinor say something" Aemond whispered and Eli sighed, "What am I supposed to say Aemond?"

"That you're happy."

"Well I'm not happy Aemond. My uncle is dead, my grandfather is dead, you lost an eye and I just found out I am to be married, well that's not something to be happy about."

Eli riped her hand from Aemond's and dipped the cloth back into the water, "So you don't want this. You don't want to marry me."

"I never said that Aemond" Eli dried out the cloth and continued to wipe the blood, "Then what did you mean Elinor. Because what I heard was that you're not happy about anything."

Eli sighed and stayed silent still wiping away the blood, "Elinor, say something!"

As Aemond raised his voice, Elinor flinched and took a step back, the cloth dropping to the floor, "I'm sorry, im sorry."

Tears prickled Eli's face as she remembered her father and his actions, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" she whispered to herself.

Aemond looked at the distressed girl who was now covering her face with her hand, "Elinor, it's ok" Aemond said as he tried moving her hands from her face.

"Im sorry, I'm sorry" Elinor whispered to herself, her breathing became heavy as she tried calming herself down, but to no avail, "Eli, please. It's ok."

Elinor nodded and closed her eyes trying to call down, she was still shaking, her knees gave in and Aemond rushed to her side.

"Eli, Eli, I'm here, I'm here" Aemond whispered to her, Eli nodded and rested her head on his chest tears falling from her eyes.

"I'm sorry, ok. I won't hurt you."

••••

To say Aemond was confused would be an understatement and to say Elinor was traumatized would be another understatement, she was broken and lost.

Eli laid in the bed, her breathing was light and she was no longer crying, which gave Aemond much relief.

Aemond knew what Larys had done to his daughter, to Eli, but he didn't know how far he went or how long it went on and he needed to know.

He picked up the cloth and wipe the remaining blood from his nose. He glanced over to Eli and smile sadly, "Elinor" he whispered and shook his head.

He placed a kiss on her forehead and left the room, slowly closing her door trying not to wake her. Then he headed for his mother's chambers.

Upon arriving her door was open, Alicent stood by the fire, his grandfather stood opposite her, "What that rogue Aemond had done, winning Vhagar to our side-"

"Grandfather, a dragon is not a slave for anyone. She's my dragon, I tell her what to do" Aemond spoke up as he made his way to his mother's side.

"Aemond, you should be resting" Alicent said, her voice full of concern, "Grandfather, get out."

"That is no way to speak to your grandfather."

"I am a prince, you will listen to what I say" Aemond said giving him a stern look, Alicent was entirely shocked to Aemond's boldness.

"Leave us" Alicent told her father who scoffed and left the room, "What is it dearest" Alicent asked squatting before Aemond.

"What is wrong" Aemond sighed and face his mother, "What's wrong with Elinor. After you told us we were betrothed, I yelled and she kept apologising."

Alicent sighed and looked down, "Aemond...Elinor went through a bad life with Larys."

"Because he hit her?"

"Yes."

"For how long?"

Alicent shook her head, "I do not know-" Aemond huffed, "Do not lie mother."

"Since she was five. He made her starve and hit her whenever she did something wrong."

Tears swelled in Aemond's eye, "Oh Aemond" Alicent brought him into a hug, "It's ok, she's fine now.arys won't hurt he anymore. It's your duty to protect her now."

"What if I can't" Aemond said as he broke the hug, "You can, Aemond. Promise me you'll protect her" Alicent said as she took both Aemond's hands in hers.

"I-" Aemond began, "Promise me Aemond" Alicent repeated and Aemond shook his head, "I promise."

Alicent smile and kissed his cheek, "Now go, be with her, she needs you" Aemond nodded and left the room.

He'll protect her.

He has to protect her.