27 - I Miss Them..

Taehyung was true to his promise. He was persistent in his effort to be in Jungkook's life, in whichever the tiny capacity the prince allowed. He made his presence so frequent in Jungkook's day, that the latter gradually started to miss it when withdrawn. Jungkook started to miss the flower branches on the days he didn't get them, even though he hardly acknowledged it on the days he did. He didn't even know when he started to anticipate Taehyung to wait for him after work, only realizing it when his heart felt heavy on the days the latter was not there.

Jungkook was especially rude to Taehyung on the few rare occasions where the latter tried to give him something bought with money. Taehyung might not have realized that the reason for Jungkook's anger is that he didn't want Taehyung to spend money, but he took note of Jungkook's distaste and only brought stuff like flowers and fruits from then onwards. Flowers, at least, didn't get thrown back at him.

A few months passed like that and both Jungkook and Jimin adjusted to their new lives well. They had a steady income, it wasn't much but it was enough to get them through the day. Yoongi tried to lower the rent a few times, under the reasoning of Jimin being a long term tenant now, but the latter didn't accept that. Jimin knew Yoongi's intentions, or at least he could make a solid guess about it, and it was not a route he was ready to explore yet. Jimin had made up his mind to devote his life completely to Jungkook. He couldn't afford the luxury of starting something new.

Jimin's perception of Taehyung started to change gradually as well. He was angry with Taehyung in the beginning, much more than Jungkook even. But with time, he was able to look past the anger and see why things happened the way it did. He was no stranger to not having any choice and obeying orders. He was angry on behalf of his prince, but now, he didn't really bear any animosity towards Taehyung. Not after seeing the effort he is putting in his apology.

That's why, one day, he was waiting for Taehyung, as he accompanied Jungkook when the latter returned from work. Jimin saw how Taehyung watched Jungkook walking into the house, without saying anything. Taehyung's face had a neutral expression until the prince was out of sight, and then it fell into a painful one. The disappointment and longing was so clear on his face, even his footsteps lacked the usual energy as he walked back.

Jimin waited till Taehyung was closer, before coming out of his hiding place, making the latter let out a tiny gasp in response.

"Dear God!" Taehyung exclaimed. "You scared the shit out of me!"

Jimin shrugged his shoulders. "Not my fault that you're a scaredy cat."

"I'm not. You just popped out like a ghost."

They walked side by side for a few minutes. Taehyung waited patiently, as he knew Jimin wouldn't be here unless he had something important to say.

"Jungkook probably will not go to work tomorrow."

If Taehyung was surprised, he didn't show it. "Is that so? Does he have some other work?"

"Not really."

It's not unusual for Jungkook to take a day-off but Jimin's seriousness in this matter clearly told Taehyung that there was more to it. "Then?"

Jimin's reply came a few seconds late. "It's his birthday tomorrow."

"Oh." Taehyung was speechless for a minute. "So he will be busy with celebrations?"

Jimin chuckled humorlessly. "No he won't."

"Huh? But you said-"

"Because it's also the death anniversary of his mother, the Queen."

_________________________________

When Jungkook woke up, he was really expecting it to be a bad one. Usually, he, along with his father and brother, spend this whole day in mourning. The King tried to have some sort of a celebration for the Prince's early birthday but ever since Jungkook understood what this day means, he refused. The king and crown prince would clear their schedules for the whole day, and would spend it as a family, remembering the love they lost.