09 - Remember Who You Are, Prince...

“Your highness!”

Jungkook was already on his horse, when the urgent call rang through the air. He looked at the direction of that sound, to see a few members of his father's guards running towards him.

They halted in front of the horse, practically blocking his path, and one of the guards gave a bow.

“Your highness, his majesty requires your presence in the courtroom.”

Jungkook looked at the sky. It's already close to noon. He has an agreement with Taehyung to meet at noon on every market day. And he didn't want to be late or miss it, since that'll mean he has to wait for another whole week to be able to meet the painter.

His father… probably can wait for a few hours.

“Send my apologies to my father, but I have an urgent matter to attend to right now. I'll see him in the evening.” Jungkook eyed the path which was partially blocked by the guards. “Jimin.”

Jimin understood the gaze and knew what needed to be done. He kicked the side of his horse, while pulling Jungkook's one by the reins, making both the horses walk forward a few steps. But the guards promptly blocked the route out of the stables.

“What do you think you're doing?!”Jungkook's voice rang with authority.

“Apologies, your highness.” The guard spoke up again. “But the King requested your presence immediately.”

“It's okay, I will sort it out with my father later. Now make way!”

The guard dropped to his knees. “Please forgive this lowly servant, your highness. But we were ordered to bring you in.. somehow.”

Jungkook rarely gets annoyed. Or angry. Mostly because he usually gets his way with everything. His needs are always reasonable and no one would even dream of making him upset. Unless, of course, what he wanted to do had a chance of hurting him in any way. Then every single person in the vicinity would try to stop him, even at the expense of their own lives. Such was the love the younger prince had within the Royal Palace.

But this time, it looks like his wish is going to be ignored. Now, Jungkook knows he and Jimin can very well get past these guards, probably with minimal effort. But he also knows that doing so will put the guards under his father's wrath, not to mention the repercussions that Jimin will have for aiding him.

Jungkook sighed and got down from the horse. He gave a small nod to Jimin, who again, understood what needs to be done, without it being said aloud. Jimin waited for Jungkook and the rest of the guards to leave the stables, before riding his horse out of the palace, and towards the market.

Jungkook quietly made his way towards the courtroom, while the other guards followed. He had an unreadable face, even though his heart was aching from not being able to meet his friend. Not to mention the worry about why his father would call him suddenly like this. Generally, at his own request, Jungkook is left out from court proceedings. The king never bothered Jungkook with anything, and let the younger roam freely.

However, once Jungkook was inside the courtroom, it was evident to him that this was not a social call.

“Father.” Jungkook bowed politely as he stood in front of the King. “You called me.”

“Indeed, I did.” The King looked up from the scroll he was reading, before rolling it and putting it away. “Tell me, prince, where are you off to on this fine day?”

Jungkook felt a sudden nervousness. And he instinctively looked at his brother sitting at the right hand side of the King. Jungkook's seat, at the left of the King, was empty, as it normally is. Junghyun didn't say anything, but his face looked rather troubled as well.