16 - What Have I Gotten Myself In To?

Whatever the future Jungkook was imagining, it was certainly not this.

"-We barely have enough to feed us. What are we gonna do with another mouth?! Huh?! You can't just come home with another man and announce he's gonna live with us! Where is he gonna stay even?! Your father is working till his bones ache, and I'm slaving myself to feed this family! What were you thinking, Taehyung-ah? Are you trying to kill your old mother at this age-"

Jungkook tuned out the rest of the rant. Chances are, he had already heard it because Taehyung's mother has been yelling the same thing, over and over again for the past 15 or so minutes. Started as soon as they stepped on to their front garden, a girl, whom Jungkook assumed to be Taehyung's younger sister, alerted their mother about his presence.

As soon as Taehyung said Jungkook was going to live with them from now on, Kim Hara had not closed her mouth. It had been a constant stream of scolding, lamenting and backhand insults. Taehyung barely managed to get them all inside, so that they wouldn't become a spectacle for the village. A few people were already starting to poke their heads out of the doors and windows.

For a moment, Jungkook entertained the idea about revealing his true identity. The woman, and the entire village for that matter, would fall on their knees instantly. They would not dare raise their heads even, let alone laugh at him. But then he remembered, that is not his identity anymore. For safety, it was decided that his name would be Do Hwan, although he would be using the name Kookie day-to-day. An orphan, with no family, no friends, no nothing.

"-He is not a nobody!!" Taehyung's raised voice made Jungkook snap out of his mind and focus on what's happening. "He is-"

Jungkook watched as Taehyung paused, mouth slightly parted with words stuck in them. What words? Jungkook didn't know. He didn't know what exactly he was to the elder. They never had a chance to talk about or put a name to what they had between them. Jungkook wasn't sure if they had anything even. Nor did they discuss it on the way, as Taehyung opted to give Jungkook the silent treatment instead.

What is he to Taehyung?

"What, Taehyung-ah? Who is he? Why is he here?"

Taehyung looked deep in thought for a few seconds, before letting out a defeated sigh. "He's my guest."

"Guest?! This is not an Inn! You can't bring random, good-for-nothing scum whenever you feel like it and demand we give them lodging!"

"Don't call him that." Taehyung's voice had a hint of defense that time, which made his mother back down a fraction.

"Why? Give me one good reason."

"Because he's my partner!" Taehyung looked like he finally snapped. "And as long as I'm in this house, so will he be too."

There was a stunned silence for about 10 seconds, where everyone, including Jungkook, stared at Taehyung with wide eyes and open mouths.

His mother was the first one to recover. "W-what?"

Taehyung didn't answer, he just gave a curt nod, reconfirming what he previously said.

"T-taehyung-ah.." Taehyung's mother's hands were shaking a bit, when she raised her hand to grab Taehyung's forearm. "Tell me this isn't true. You.. you're joking with your mother right? Right?!"

"No, mother." Taehyung's voice sounded frustrated. With the situation or with Jungkook, the latter didn't know. "It's the truth."

Jungkook watched as Taehyung's mom opened her mouth, without saying anything. Even Taehyung's sister, who had been silent all this while, made a noise of being surprised.