19 - You Will Pay For This One Day...

A/N - So I've just realised I didn't specify a name for Jungkook while he's living with Tae. I can't have him be knows as 'Jungkook' but 'Kookie' is clearly only a nickname.

So his name would be "Do Hwan". I edited than name in a pervious chapter. Okie.. ☺️☺️☺️ then back to the story..

_____________________________________

“Hwan is a distant cousin of mine. As he doesn't have any other relatives, I try to keep in touch whenever I can. But not very often because of my work. Sometimes I don't have a way to contact him for months.”

The Kim family listened to the explanation given by Jimin, as he sipped on the tea he was given. Taehyung's father invited Jimin for dinner, but the latter refused, saying that he stopped at a tavern on the way, but a warm tea would be appreciated.

“I see.” Elder Kim nodded in understanding.

“I was so worried when I couldn't find Hwan. Took me a little while to ask around. Thank you for looking after him in your house. I'm sure..” Jimin paused, taking in the less than warm welcome look in Taehyung's mother's and sister's faces. “I'm sure he had a lovely time here.”

Jimin looked sideways at Jungkook, who had a small smile on his face. After the initial outburst of tears, Jungkook didn't say or do anything. He just stood close to Jimin, and watched as the latter introduced himself. Jungkook saw how Jimin's discreet eyes glazed over the house, the food on the table and most importantly, Jungkook's physical appearance.

Jungkook knew there was no way to hide his dark circles or the weight loss.

“Hmmm… he's such a talented man. Doctor Kim is very impressed with him.”

The first genuine smile appeared on Jimin's face, even though it was only for a few seconds. “I'm glad. He was always interested in medicine.”

After a few seconds of silence, Jimin spoke up again. “Thank you for the tea, sir. I think it's time for me to leave now."

“Oh-” for the first time, Taehyung spoke up. “You're leaving?”

Jimin gave him a look which had the warmth of a frozen icicle. “For now, yes. I might l come see Jungkook in the morning though. I was planning on staying for a few days anyway.”

“That's good.” Elder Kim nodded his head again.

The rest of the dinner went in silence. Kim Taemin suggested lodging to Jimin but one look at Jungkook's uncomfortable face made the former decline the offer. Unlike Jungkook on that first day, Jimin was actually dressed warm enough to withstand the cold so he was okay to sleep outside, with a small fire to keep himself warm. 

Next day was a market day so Taehyung was out of the house early. And so was Taehyung's father. But since it was not one of the days that Jungkook works at the local doctor, he was at home. 

Jimin watched from a distance how Jungkook did house work without a rest. How Kim Hara seemed to be yelling at Jungkook, multiple times a day, while the latter listened with a lowered head. He couldn't hear what she was saying but looking at Jungkook's and her faces, he knew it wasn't anything pleasant. He watched how Jungkook sat down on the low wall after a specially strenuous work, wiping away the sweat from his face and gulping down water.  

Jimin expected things to be hard for Jungkook, he was a prince after all and getting used to living like a commoner was going to be a challenge. But never in a million years would Jimin imagine a situation like this. 

When Taehyung came back from the market that day, Jimin was waiting for him.

________________________________

Today was a bad day for Taehyung. He had got only one commissioned painting for the whole day, even after staying till the market closed. He wanted to buy some new clothes for Jungkook but guess that'll need to wait till next week. Taehyung couldn't believe the king would send Jungkook with a few hanboks. Maybe the exact conditions of the prince's departure had not been made aware to the king. 

He was deep in thought as he walked down the road leading to his house, and was surprised to see Jimin sitting on a rock at the side of the road.

“Jimin?” Taehyung called in a surprised voice. “What are you doing here?”

“Waiting for you.” Taehyung felt a chill go down his spine at that cold voice. “We need to talk.”

“Uhhh.. okay. Here?”

“No. Follow me.”

Taehyung silently followed Jimin, as the latter guided them towards an area which was a little secluded by a few big trees. To be honest, Taehyung was expecting this conversation, but he didn't think it'd happen this fast. 

Jimin stood silently for a few seconds, before turning around to look at Taehyung. “What's going on at your house?”

“My house? What do you mean?”

“Don't try to be ignorant, Taehyung. You know very well what I'm talking about!”

“I don't-”

“I'm talking about how Kookie seems to be the servant of Kim house!!” Jimin was yelling by the end of that sentence. “How dare they?! How dare your mother and sister treat him like that?! He's working the whole day like a slave. They don't even give him 5 seconds to rest. And you! How could you just watch all that and do nothing?!!”

Taehyung folded his fingers into a tight fist. Looking at how tired Jungkook was at night, he did have an inkling that something like this might be happening at home. But Taehyung didn't know it was this bad. 

“He trusted you. He trusted you to leave all that comfort and follow you into this. He-” Jimin turned around in frustration and groaned. He kicked a rock on the ground, watched it roll around a few times, before turning to look at Taehyung again. “I trusted you.”

All those accusations, all those complaints.. they felt like knife stabs to Taehyung. But he knew he couldn't reveal his reasons to anyone. With great difficulty, Taehyung managed to scoff.

“You're being over dramatic, Jimin. That's how life is for people like us. We don't have maids to do our work for us. Everyone in the house needs to contribute. He's just helping out.”

“Helping out?! Was he helping out when he slaves away all day and your sister roams around the village with her friends? Is it helping out when your mother forces him to cook for the whole family, while she has a nice talk time with your neighbor?! Taehyung, they didn't even give him lunch!”

W-what?”

“I didn't see him eating anything for the whole day. Just water. I know he was hungry because he kept squeezing his stomach. Please… why are you doing this to him? What wrong has he done to deserve such punishment, other than having an affection for you?!”

Taehyung didn't have an answer for that. His face may have looked emotionless but his heart was shattering into pieces.

“That boy..” Jimin quickly wiped a lone tear that fell down his cheeks. “That boy had never known a single hardship of life. But now, you and your family are putting him through hell. I don't know how you all will pay for this but by Gods!! Mark my words, Kim Taehyung. One day you will.”

Taehyung knew he would. And he was okay with it. As long as his purpose is fulfilled. 

“Well, it's his and his father's fault. Not mine. This is not something I wanted, or a choice I made for myself.” Taehyung said in a nonchalant voice. “Most of the folks here can't afford more than one meal a day. If he wanted to be treated like a prince, he should have stayed in the pala-”

Taehyung was not able to finish what he was saying, because Jimin's fist came barrelling towards him, with enough force to make him stumble to the ground.