11 - You Only Draw Things You Like...

“What are you drawing today?”

Taehyung didn't answer at first. He looked around, taking in the beauty of his surroundings but nothing seemed to be significant enough to catch his attention. Except, of course, the beautiful man standing next to him, but Taehyung can hardly say it out loud now can he?

His heart seems to be having the weirdest thoughts lately and Taehyung honestly didn't know what to do about them.

“I'm not sure yet.” Taehyung answered after a few seconds of pause. “I guess I'll walk about a bit first.”

Nowadays, Jungkook and Taehyung don't meet on market days. I mean, they do, occasionally, but mostly it's just to hangout. No work. Just some sightseeing and talking, basking in what is proving to be a wonderful companionship. Both felt them getting closer, but for obvious reasons, neither wanted to voice that. Jungkook spent most of the time daydreaming in the palace, sometimes missing whatever little bit of work he had.

Jungkook hummed in response, before sitting next to the big Oak tree. Some of the roots of the tree were over the ground, making it a perfect seat to settle on. Jungkook closed his eyes as he leaned on to the tree trunk, utterly comfortable in his pose.

“You do that.” Jungkook's voice came out as a sigh. “I'm just gonna stay here for a bit.”

For a few seconds, Taehyung couldn't take his eyes off the other. The way Jungkook's lips were slightly curved upwards and how his slender fingers were dancing over the lapel of his hanbok, to a tune known to him only… Jungkook was a rare beauty. One that would make people wonder whether angels are real. Sure, his clothes and appearance screams of wealth but for Taehyung, his natural beauty shines far more. The artist in Taehyung was sure that even if Jungkook was covered in rags, he would still look like a god on earth.

It was Jimin's subtle throat clearing that got Taehyung out of his trance. He looked over where Jungkook's never faltering companion was standing. Jimin was another mystery. Their relationship seemed like that of a master and a servant but the way Jungkook regarded the other was much warmer. There was friendship and respect between them, something that Taehyung didn't expect from a nobleman.

Even though Taehyung didn't doubt for a second that Jimin can and will kill for Jungkook, without a moment's hesitation.

Not wanting to dwell on such scary thoughts, Taehyung picked up his portable easel and the bag containing his paint bottles, and walked further towards the river bank. He walked for some time, trying to find inspiration to draw but nothing seemed to be working. Defeated, Taehyung walked back, only to be stopped again.

There… a living, breathing angel was sleeping against a tree trunk. And all his living memory, Taehyung had never seen such beautiful scenery.

______________________________

Jungkook woke up from his unexpected nap and looked around. A few strands of hair were dancing to the wind, where it's tied up at the back of his hair. The strands were tickling his face, which must be what woke him up.

Taehyung was sitting a few feet away. His paint brushes and bottles were neatly packed, but the easel had a paper pinned to it. Jungkook couldn't see what it was clearly but the relaxed state of the artist told him that the painting was done.

“Oh.” Jungkook said softly. “You're already done. Can I see it?”

It took a few seconds for Taehyung to nod. Jungkook got up from the ground, ignoring the slight pain in his back from sitting in the same position for a while, and walked towards the easel. His heart was beating at a faster pace, and he wasn't sure why, maybe it's because of the intense gaze Taehyung had on him.

As he rounded up the stand, his mouth opened in surprise, and a gasp escaped before he could stop it. It was a painting of him sleeping against a tree.

Gods..” Jungkook whispered.

He didn't know how long he stared at the painting. As the prince of the country, his portrait had been drawn many, many times. By the most famous and talented painters in the country. But no one had ever captured him in this way. It's like Taehyung had painted Jungkook's inner self. His feelings. His secrets.

Jungkook looked back at Taehyung, who was standing with a little hesitation in his eyes.

You drew me.”

Taehyung only gave a nod in reply.

Why?” Jungkook's voice was as soft as a cloud. “You said you only draw things you like.”

“I did say that.” Taehyung gulped down the nervousness. “Guess the only conclusion is that I like you.”

Jungkook stumbled a few steps back. “W-what?”

Taehyung was nervous, he couldn't deny it. But that doesn't mean he would take back what he said. “I like you, Kookie. Surely, you must have noticed it by now.”

“I-” Jungkook took another step back. “You can't do that.”

Taehyung tried to walk towards Jungkook but the latter's retreating footsteps made him halt too.

This can't be happening.” Jungkook said in a low voice and Taehyung had a feeling that the former didn't mean anyone else to hear it. “Gods.. what have I done?”

Taehyung couldn't bear to see the look of fear in Jungkook's eyes so he took a few quick steps and stood in front of the other.

Calm down..” Taehyung whispered, as he gently held Jungkook's arms. “Breathe for me.”

Jungkook looked like a deer caught in a trap and it was breaking Taehyung's heart. He didn't mean to cause this much stress to the younger. The words from his heart just slipped out before his brain could catch up.

L-let me go.”

“Not when you're this upset. I'm sorry-”

A sound of a sword being pulled out of its scabbard made Taehyung pause what he was about to say. The looming presence behind him was noticeable, even before he heard the words.

“Step away from him.” Jimin's voice had a strange tightness in it. “If you wish for your arms to be intact, let him go.”

Taehyung immediately pulled his arms and took a step back. Jimin swiftly moved between the two, covering Jungkook with his body while facing Taehyung with hardened eyes. “I think you should leave now.”

Taehyung nodded a few times, his hand shaking when he tried to wipe his face. He quickly gathered his stuff, sans the painting. He kept it on the ground, and even put a sizable rock on one corner so the wind would not trouble it. Taehyung turned around to look at the duo, Jungkook's hunched figure still covered by Jimin.

“Will I see you here next week?”

Taehyung's voice had a palpable nervousness as he tried to look past Jimin, to see whether he could get a response from Jungkook. But when he didn't, he looked at Jimin's face. The latter's stoney expression faltered a bit at that and he shook his head softly.

Taehyung gave a nod in understanding. And after one last unsuccessful attempt to look at the man who seemed to be holding a much larger part of his heart, if not the entire thing, in the palm of his hand, Taehyung walked away.

Jimin stood still till the man was out of their eyesight, before turning around to look at Jungkook. “My prince..”

Jungkook had his gaze turned toward the ground. And when he looked up, Jimin felt so weak due to the intensity of emotions swirling in those bambi eyes.

Let's go back.”

The horse ride back to the palace was spent in utter silence.