17- Teeth Chattering And Body Heats.

“So, young man,” Kim Seonwoo's voice made Jungkook look up from his dinner. “Taehyung tells me that you will be staying with us from now on.”

Kim Hara's scoff must have been loud enough to be heard by the neighboring houses even, but elder Kim, who was used to his wife's antics, didn't react. Jungkook, however, couldn't help but flinch. He was not used to people treating him like this.

Yes.” Jungkook replied in a soft voice. “I'm sorry for intruding in on your family, sir, I-”

“Nonsense!” Seonwoo waved his hand dismissively. “Any friend of Taehyung is welcome here.”

“Yes, of course.” Hara's voice was dipping with animosity. “We are running a free shelter here, any dirt from the roads is welcome.”

Taehyung put down his cup a little harsher than needed. “That's enough, mother.”

“You all are making me out to be a bad person here. I'm just looking out for my family. We can barely survive the winter, just the four of us-”

“It's true that times are tough.” Seonwoo cut in the middle of his wife's rant. “It's the same for everyone, not just for us. But we have not yet fallen low enough to turn away a guest.”

A few moments of silence fell at the dinner table. Jungkook could see his silhouette on the wall, created by the single lantern. At the dining room in the palace, Jungkook can't even see his shadow, because the palace was lit up by at least 15 lanterns. It almost looks like day time.

How different a world it was.

He raised his head up from his meal again, to look at Taehyung's father. “I'm willing to work to earn my keep here. I- I don't want to be a burden.”

“That's-” The elderly man was thinking for a second to find the right word. “Admirable. What kind of work can you do?”

Jungkook's lips wobbled. He's well-versed in many things. He has had the best scholars from a very young age, and best trainers the country had to offer. Except, half of those things he can not say and almost all of them have zero importance here. But there was one thing that might be of use.

“I'm knowledgeable in basic medicine and applications. Maybe I can work with you, since you work at the local doctor.”

Taehyung snapped his head towards Jungkook. He had never told the younger man any details about his family. So how did Jungkook know about his father's work?

But of course, Taehyung mentally scolded himself for forgetting who Jungkook was. Of course the prince would have had people look into his life. Only Taehyung was the ignorant one. Only he was the stupid one.

“Really? That's settled then. I will have to ask the doctor whether you can come as a help, but I think it will be okay. He was talking about hiring someone. We do need help with gathering herbs and distributing medicine for the sick. You won't have to work everyday but maybe two or three times a week.”

Jungkook gave a nod. He didn't really care how tiring the work would be, only that he would be able to reduce the burden he has unwillingly put on Taehyung's family. And if he gets to stay away from the house at the same time, then it's an added bonus. He didn't particularly fancy staying cooped-up in the small room, now that he knew Taehyung would not be keeping him company.

Rest of the dinner went in silence. Jungkook dutifully ate everything on his plate, not wanting to be ungrateful. He was thankful for the Kim family for sparing what little food they had.

After the dinner was done, Taehyung and Jungkook retired to the room. Taehyung was laying the bedding in a corner, while Jungkook silently stood at the opposite corner. He was okay to sleep on the floor again, but he knew it would not be possible since the air would get unbearably cold at night.