Chapter Fifty-Three: Stolen Vows

If Plagg wiped out the dinosaurs with his cataclysm he could do the same.

In order to stop his Father, he had to stop his heart; he would have to destroy all magic including himself.

No One's POV

There is no shortage of death; it festers inside of us from the moment we become human.

"It's you and me against the world." Ladybug laughs next to him, "right?" She speaks again unsure of why he isn't responding.

Chat Noir simply crashes into her again. Grabbing her tightly by the waist and holding onto her for dear life, he remembered what he spoke to Plagg about in Marinette's room:

-Le Flashback-

"Adrien NO!" Plagg says, circling around Marinette's room.

Shortly after she transformed into Ladybug, Chat Noir told her he needed a minute and despite her reluctance she gave in. His dazzling eyes were something she could never say no to. He had made her soft.

The way he looked at her like she was something precious— she would often shift feeling overwhelmed. His gaze was so intense, so full of love he made her feel like the most important thing in the world.

However, he detransformed on top of her pink sheets alone.

Plagg spiraled out of this ring in confusion. Before he realized that Adrien knew exactly what he did. Something was wrong with the magic.

And solemnly, Adrien looked at Plagg- "I need you to destroy it. Like you did the dinosaurs or when we were at the Eiffel Tower.

"What! No! Are you insane? We don't know what consequences that could have on the magic or the other miracle boxes scattered across the world! Not to mention what if my cataclysm is like a sentimonster and only makes things worse!"

But, the boy's mind was already made up.

So, when Chat Noir retransformed into his superhero persona and met her on the roof, he took Plagg's words to heart.

A cataclysm wouldn't be enough. The world cannot be balanced with only destruction. He needed creation.

There is no shortage of death; it festers inside of us from the moment we become human.

"It's you and me against the world." Ladybug laughs next to him, "right?" She speaks again unsure of why he isn't responding.

Chat Noir simply crashes into her again. Grabbing her tightly by the waist and holding onto her for dear life. He inhaled her scent and took her in before looking at her with not the eyes she knew and loved, but one's with sorrow.

"I need you to give me your earrings."

Ladybug's POV

Why does he want my earrings?

My stomach lurches forward. It is the kind of feeling where you anticipate something sinister. Almost as if this wasn't my Chat- if this wasn't Adrien, but an akuma or a villain in his place trying to manipulate me.

But then I feel him embrace me. His touch—his pressure is so gentle but so dangerous. 

I knew something bad had been happening. But, there has to be a solution right?

There always is.

"Adrien..." I feel every syllable of his name on my tongue. Even though my voice is barely above whisper, I feel my throat hurt and croak under me like I am out of oxygen I never had.

"You know you can't have my earrings... The cat miraculous and the ladybug miraculous combined have insurmountable power. We cannot risk it."

Adrien's POV

I look below at the girl in front of me. Her face rests against my chest and my chin on top of her head.

I don't know if its possible for me to let her go.

And then, she hugs back, as tight as she can. Its almost bone crushing. As if she knows- that she will have to break away.

I move the strands of hair away from her face. I need to see her. I need to immortalize her.

I need to apologize to her. 

Even though I hear every word she utters, it's too late. 

My hand coasts up her neck, stroking her ear, before I thumb her earrings.

This will be the end.

- End of Chapter 53-