“Ikaw din, Ms. Newgirl?” 

Right then, the bell rang. 

Saved.

I sighed in relief, snatched my notebook away from Ms. History right here and stuffed everything back in my bag. Everyone else inside did that too. I hurriedly went outside the school with a feeling of happiness and anxiety. My head is still aching.

I walked through the hallways alone and went to my locker. Stuffing my things back to the metal cabinet, I noticed the pink tulip and looked around. Just to see if Perez is around. I scanned the room more attentively and saw that everyone’s eyes were locked on me. I sighed and just ignored them.

After all, I was used to it.

As I was nearing the school gate, I saw only a handful of students roaming around. Maybe only a quarter of the school’s population was dismissed on time. Most are doing overtime.

I stopped to adjust the strap of my bag and brush off some of the dust that my uniform absorbed. I wasn’t really that comfortable wearing uniform. We never wore a school uniform back in New York so I’m new here. I continued walking towards the school gate swiftly.

As I caught sight of the field from the corner of my eyes, I remembered the happening earlier at lunch. Again?! Screw it! Why does everytime—every single time—I remember him I just feel so weird?! And there it was again, Perez’s good looking face suddenly popped up in my brain and a shiver crept up my spine. I shook my head quickly to brush the thought away but it just leave me alone. 

That’s it. I’m going to have to talk to him.

I turned to my heel and started walking towards the direction of the school field. I was quietly walking; watching as leaves dance over the ground and feeling the hot wind surround me. I looked at my wrist watch to check the time. It was 443PM. Just 15 minutes. I’ll give us just 15 minutes. I’ll wait for him for 5 minutes. Then there will be an awkward silence for another 5 minutes. I’ll say hi and that’ll take only a split second and another minute for awkwardness. Then he’ll say hi back and there will be only 2 minutes and 58 seconds left for us to talk. Great.

2 minutes and 58 seconds will not be so bad.

Rubbing my palms together to try and calm my fast beating heart, I sighed. That’ll be 2 minutes and 58 seconds and maybe we can sort things out then everything will get better.

He’ll probably say sorry for leaving me alone last Saturday in that little café, found in the middle of nowhere and I’ll forgive him. He’ll say sorry too for flirting with some girl in the middle of hallway and I’ll forgive him. Maybe he’ll apologize too for not texting or calling or checking up on me and I’ll forgive him. And I will say sorry too for being such girly and overacting.

Those will fit the 2 minutes and 58 seconds time allotment, eh?

This will go well.

When I sat on one of the bleachers, I checked the time. 445PM. 15 minutes will start now.  I had a clear view on the players inside the volleyball court. I watched as the ball tossed and danced around in the air. Whoa. These players have got some game. They sweat like pigs.

This really was a practice hell.

The game will be in a week, so they have to train hard and kill themselves before their coach does.

I looked at each player. Luke was there spiking the hell out of the ball every time it enters in their side of the net. Perez wasn’t there. What the hell? He wasn’t around in classes and he wasn’t around in training, too?  He’s not training? Seriously, what the hell is wrong with that badass? Ok, maybe I’m going overboard. Maybe he just took a break and got something to drink right? Whatever. I will be here until 5.