Chapter 23

~Mustard's POV~

I woke up to the sound of a knock on my window.

How dare you, I grumbled, burying my face deeper into my pillow. I was dreaming about going on a date with Undead-sama, and you disturbed it. Go away.

Another sharp knock, this time louder than before.

I sighed, sitting up. Through the dim light provided by the moon, I saw the silhouette of a person outside my window, waving at me.

I narrowed my eyes, getting ready to use my quirk if it came down to it. Although it still put me to sleep if I used it too much, I have begun to develop a sort of immunity to it. Undead-sama made sure to make me use it constantly at a low potency, slapping me awake the moment I was about to fall asleep. 

He refused to give me my gas mask back until I could successfully hold out five minutes in the first lesson, ten minutes in the second lesson, and fifteen in the third. Of course, all of it done in the lowest strength of the gas. 

It has been 4 months since he started training Shinsou-sama, but only a week since quirk training began for both of us. I'm proud to say that I showed more improvement than Undead-sama's brother did.

Then again, I was the test subject for Shinsou's quirk, so I honestly didn't know if he's good or not.

One the person outside the window confirmed that I was awake, he knocked again. Two slow knocks, three quick knocks, and three slow knocks. 

My eyes widened in mild surprise as I recognized the pattern. It was one you find out once you join the underground. 

The scouting knock.

It was commonly used when someone was trying to talk to you in secrecy in order to recruit you to work for them. There are different knocks for different purposes, but this one was the only one I knew. I remember hearing it the night after my first meeting with the human trafficking leader; a confirmation that I got hired.

After the slave trading ring got shut down and most of the workers got arrested, I gave up hoping to get hired again. But apparently, someone knew that I didn't get caught. That someone currently knocking on my window.

I approached it calmly, unlocking it and letting the man inside. However, he gave me a small letter instead. I raised one eyebrow and took it, closing the window after he left.

It would be risky to turn on the lights right now, but I have no choice. Scouting's are always unpredictable, so it's best if I read the letter right away, I thought as I turned on my bedside lamp, illuminating the room in a warm golden glow. Let's see who it is.

I opened the letter, pulling out the paper inside. My eyes widened at it's contents, confused at how I managed to attract someone as important as him.

Mustard,
As far as I am aware, you are jobless now. Surely you aren't planning to follow Undead like a puppy all your life. You will never earn money that way, and what will you do if he leaves you?
Still, it's impressive he let's you hang around.
I would like to talk to him, but as you know, he isn't the most patient person. Please let him know that I will be waiting for him three days from now, on XXXX street. It's best you come as well, since I have a job offer for you.
Regards,
Giran.

Giran was a very famous informant in the underground, having connections to almost every villain in some way. A job offer from him was a very big deal.

My eyes trailed over the page once more, pausing on one specific sentence.