Weddings and Redemption

When Can and Sanem got back to her parent's house, both families were there waiting as Can had told them what he was going to do.

When Sanem realized they were all there, the tears started to flow as she hugged her parents and sister and then Can's family.

Sanem, we are so happy for you, Mevkibe said as she pulled her daughter into her arms. 

Oh, anne, I have dreamed about this day for so long, Sanem said as they wiped each other's tears, laughing and hugging.

When Sanem held her father, he said, My beautiful little bird. All I need to know is if you've found the man to protect you from the storms?

Sanem couldn't answer right away but shook her head quickly. 

Baba, he is the best of men. Of course, besides you, she said as she laughed and cried at the same time.

He is. There isn't anyone I would have wanted for my little girl but him. He's honorable and kind. And he loves you above all else, Nehat said as he watched Can hugging his own parents and being congratulated.

Thank you, anne, baba. Thank you for helping see what I was missing when I was so angry and hurt. I credit your wisdom for helping me through that difficult time. I love you both so much, Can said as he held his parents.

Son, Sanem is the woman that was created for you. Of that I am sure, Merihban said as the tears flowed. Congratulations to you both.

Sanem hugged Leyla and whispered, By the look on Emre's face, I'd say you're next, abla.

Leyla's smile lit up the room at the thought. She caught Emre looking at her and beaming, knowing Sanem was right.

They ate and celebrated for hours, everyone talking about their future and what they wanted for the wedding. Ayhan and Cey Cey joined them after awhile and were hugging their friends and congratulating them.

We haven't talked about the details yet, Sanem said as she looked up at Can with a smile.

No, we haven't but I want to warn all of you. It won't be a long engagement. I want Sanem to be my wife as soon as possible, Can said causing Mevkibe's eyebrows to shoot up.

Can, we need time to make plans, son. What are we talking about time wise? she asked as she set down her glass and looked intently at him.

Can looked down at Sanem and said huskily, I'd marry her today if I could.

Suddenly there was a sharp knock on the door but it was missed by everyone as they gasped at Can's announcement. Conversations were loud and frenzied as they tried to discuss what was to be done.

Hello! Hello. Mevkibe! Vera said as she walked into a room full of people who seemed to be celebrating.

Anne? Mevkibe gasped as she looked at her mother in shock.

I, I'm sorry. I knocked and knocked but came in when I heard the voices. I'm sorry to interrupt what looks like a party, Vera said sheepishly, looking around the room. 

Her eyes locked on Sanem's whose expression was unreadable.

As Sanem looked into her grandmother's eyes, she saw so many things. Regret, hurt, sorrow.

She didn't know how to feel about the intrusion and looked up at Can who had pulled her in tighter as if to protect her.

Please forgive me for the intrusion, Vera said, realizing this was a mistake as she registered the harsh looks around the room. She knew that she deserved it but her resolve to come and say what she wanted to vanished with the cold reception.