Dreams Fulfilled and New Ventures

Nine months earlier...

Mevkibe helped Sanem fold her clothes as they packed. Wiping away tears, Sanem said, Anne, are you sure you're alright with this? What if baba takes a turn for the worse again? What if you need...

I am sure of this, Sanem, Mevkibe said, interrupting her once again. Sanem had been going back and forth about leaving, still uncertain if it was the best decision.

Walking towards her mom, she put her arms around her and Mevkibe just let her cry. They both knew she wasn't crying about leaving. She was heartbroken and not able to hide it anymore.

Listen to me, canim. You are going back to Paris, you're going to go through this program and start your life on your own terms. I'm so proud of you, Sanem. I've seen how much you've grown this summer into a confident and self assured woman, Mevkibe said with love shining from her eyes.

Thank you, anne. I don't feel any of those things, though. I've made decisions that I'm second guessing now and I can't fix it. I feel like no matter which way I go, someone gets hurt, Sanem sobbed as she held her mother close.

Sanem, I know your beautiful heart and there is no way that you've done something purposefully to hurt another living soul. Do you want to talk to me about it? I know this has to do with Can, she asked as Sanem pulled away and wiped her tears.

They sat down on her bed as Sanem tried to calm down.

I've hurt him, anne. I've hurt him so badly, she said with a painful expression.

Taking her daughter's hand in hers, she asked, Sanem do you love Can?

Before she could filter her answer, Sanem said, With everything in me.

The second it came out of her mouth, she tried to retract it.

I mean, I thought I did. I thought that's how I felt, she said hurriedly, avoiding her mother's eyes.

Sanem, I don't know why you broke things off with him because anyone who has been around you two this summer can see that you're completely in love with one another. I don't know how to help when your words contradict everything we saw between you, she said gently.

He hates me, Sanem whispered, looking into her mother's eyes.

That's impossible, canim. Absolutely impossible, she answered, wiping her tears again.

I asked if we could be friends but he didn't even want that. He hasn't reached out once during the last few months, Sanem said.

Did you reach out to him? Mevkibe asked gently.

Looking away from her gaze, she whispered, No. No I didn't. I couldn't. I guess that makes me a coward. Why would he reach out to me when I didn't? It's just complicated, she answered as she stood and walked back to packing.

Love is...complicated, canim. It's messy and challenging and beautiful and hard. So very hard. But it's always worth it. You'll see. It will work out somehow, Mevkibe answered as she went back to helping her daughter.

_________________

Emre knocked on Leyla's office door and waited for her to wave him in.

Hey Emre. Did you have a question about the acquisition report? she asked as she looked up from her laptop.

Leyla could see the longing for her in his big blue eyes. But they had not pursued a relationship, opting to stay friends as they tried to figure what was happening with their siblings. For now, it would have to be enough.