41

However, Louis’ cries did not reach Kiris. When Kiris snapped his finger, Louis fell to the ground as if he was blocked by an invisible wall.

Thud!

“Ouch!”

The sound was louder than I expected, and I wondered if Louis was hurt.

“Sir Kiris, it hurts! How could you do this to me!”

But to my dismay, Louis was fine, scrambling to his feet and rubbing his bumped head.

“Then shut up.”

“…That’s mean. Oh? Rosette! It’s been a while.” Louis mumbled dejectedly, but when he noticed me, he smiled brightly.

I felt like the room was already getting noisier just by seeing Louis again after a long time.

“Nice to see you again, Louis.”

“I was planning to come visit once Kiris’ problem was resolved, but I guess I’m too late!”

“Rosette, I came to return the novel.”

Helena took the novel from her embrace and handed it to me. It was in the same pristine condition as when I first received it.

“You didn’t have to give it back. It was a gift from me.”

“Still, I thought it would be better to return it.”

Even if I declined, Helena placed the book in my hands. I accepted it with a graceful smile.

“Ah, miss…”

Mary, who had been observing the situation from a distance, called me absentmindedly. It was understandable that she would find it hard to believe that two or more mages suddenly appeared where I worked.

Also, she vaguely learned that Kiris held a high position even among the mages.

“Oh, Mary. They are people with whom I had a close friendship before.”

“I-Is that so?”

Mary pinched her cheek and mumbled, “It can’t be true, right? Mages from the Magic Tower are appearing right here, where I work. This is unbelievable.”

“Grr!”

In the midst of it all, Snow, who was nestled in my arms, continued to display a defensive stance towards Kiris. Then everyone’s attention turned to Snow.

“What a cute creature….”

“That… it looks like a fox!”

Helena casually asked, and Louis interrupted her.

“I guess I saved a country in my past life to be able to see it.” Even Mary, who had taken a seat, joined in.

How did things end up like this?

I touched my forehead, unable to adapt to the noisy atmosphere inside the house.

* * *

“From tomorrow on, I’ll write the lifelong contract. Miss, no one can stop me.”

“You can leave early today. You’ve never even taken a vacation.”

I managed to calm down Mary, who was about to run wild, and let her leave early. Mary had a disappointed expression, but she accepted my persuasion.

As a result, only Louis, Helena, and Kiris remained in the living room.

“Is she the new maid you hired?”

“Yes, that’s right.”

“You made a good choice! It’s difficult to manage such a spacious house alone!”

“Hahaha… Well, let me bring some tea. We haven’t gathered like this in a while.”

Standing awkwardly, I headed to the kitchen as I mentioned bringing tea. However, Kiris, who had been watching me closely since earlier, followed me.

“Mistress, I’ll do it.”

“But you came as a guest. How can I…?”

“You don’t need to do this.”

Despite my objections, Kiris skillfully brewed the tea. In such a turn of events, I found myself sitting for tea time. I held the teacup in my hands.

Everyone silently sipped their tea, their surprised expressions fixed on the black tea.

“Is it delicious?”

“Yes, it’s delicious.”

Kiris looked at me with anticipation, and I nodded in agreement.

The taste of black tea, which I hadn’t tried in a long time, was truly rich and perfectly suited to my taste.

Louis exclaimed with admiration.

“Sir Kiris, I didn’t know you had this ability!”

“I didn’t do it to give it to you, so don’t get any ideas.”

“You’re terrible.”

I smiled awkwardly, breaking the tense atmosphere.

“Um… It’s been a while, everyone. You came to find Kiris?”

Upon hearing my words, Louis nodded hesitantly.

“Yes! Rosette, actually, I am his aide.”

“Really?”

“Yes! I used to be a nobody, an orphan in the back alleys, but Kiris brought me to the Magic Tower.”

Louis reminisced about the past with a smile.

“But I didn’t know that he was trying to use me as his aide for his own gains!”

“Ugh.”

Helena sighed.

“At first, it was good. But…”

Louis, who was about to speak about how corrupt Kiris was, suddenly stood up as if something came to mind.

“Come to think of it, you should go back to the Magic Tower, sir! There’s so much work piling up. The backlog from the gap period is still a mountain!”

“Why do I have to go if you can handle it? Do I really need to bother?” Kiris replied coldly, and Louis responded with a shocked expression.

“Well…?”

“That’s the role of an aide. So, don’t bother me and leave.”

“But… but you brought me here just to overwhelm me with work, didn’t you? W-wait a minute!”

Feeling the crisis, Louis widened his eyes and begged. It was a desperate move.

“Sir! No, no, no. You’ve suddenly disappeared, we worked hard to find you, now my efforts are in vain…”

“Mistress, I’ll go and come back.”

Kiris cut off Louis’ words and smiled mischievously.

And in an instant, they disappeared from sight. Dumbfounded, I looked at the empty spot where Kiris had been.

“Poor Louis.” I recalled Louis saying how he was glad not to have a boss anymore. I silently wished him luck and marveled at the magic Kiris used.

‘This is the magic I’ve only heard of!’

Seeing it with my own eyes, it didn’t feel real. A blue mist appeared, and the body moved!